Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need help with e-brake
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
#1RAGE
Hi. I just bought a 1974 1.8L and I have two small problems. First of all the brake handle came apart. The button popped out along with the spring and a little rubber washer. I lost the rubber washer but I'm guessing I can replace it with something similar. Once I get this washer, what do I need to do to get the button to stay on? Can I just put some glue in the hole that goes into the button and then just put it in the handle and hold it in until it dries?

The bigger problem with the emergency/parking brake is that I noticed the cable right where it connects to the end of the hand lever is broken at least halfway through. I'm guessing that this should be replaced as soon as possible. Is there a guide to replacing these cables? confused24.gif

Thanks in advance. biggrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(#1RAGE @ May 23 2003, 09:53 PM)
Hi.  I just bought a 1974 1.8L and I have two small problems.  First of all the brake handle came apart.  The button popped out along with the spring and a little rubber washer.  I lost the rubber washer but I'm guessing I can replace it with something similar.  Once I get this washer, what do I need to do to get the button to stay on?  Can I just put some glue in the hole that goes into the button and then just put it in the handle and hold it in until it dries?

The bigger problem with the emergency/parking brake is that I noticed the cable right where it connects to the end of the hand lever is broken at least halfway through.  I'm guessing that this should be replaced as soon as possible.  Is there a guide to replacing these cables?  :confused:

i'd say go and get a used (and complete) handle and cable.
would run maybe $20 bucks here locally (at EASY) ...

Andy
GWN7
The drive to Easy might be a bit of a problem smile.gif

I might have a spare in my shed.....will look tomorrow.
J P Stein
I have the whole set-up, handle to calipers, in a bag....handle, boots, cables, pins, clips, the whole stichk...all in nice shape . Cheep, but not 20 bucks biggrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(J P Stein @ May 23 2003, 10:14 PM)
I have the whole set-up, handle to calipers, in a bag....handle, boots, cables, pins, clips, the whole stichk...all in nice shape . Cheep, but not 20 bucks biggrin.gif

i assume you upgraded to bigger brakes in the back at one point rolleyes.gif

has anyone every worked out the 911 e-brake conversion for the 914 ???

Andy
J P Stein
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 23 2003, 09:17 PM)

i assume you upgraded to bigger brakes in the back at one point  :rolleyes:

has anyone every worked out the 911 e-brake conversion for the 914 ???

Andy

Ayup.

Not me. I remember seeing something on PP BBS....back some. It looked like a PITA. ...as did everything else I have seen...Wilwood spot calipers.

We doona need no stinkin' emergency brakes....till we have an emergency blink.gif
GWN7
Sorry no handle (thought there was a spare that came with the Texas car)

Go with JP's offer.

Andy- Saskatoon is about 9hr dive North West of me, so he would be about a 60 hr drive to Easy. smile.gif
Brad Roberts
Andy,

Goerge Vellios makes a weld on part for the 914 control arm that adapts all the stock 911 parking brake parts.

Oh.. guy's.. its a "Parking brake" not a "E brake" They are worthless in a emergency.

I also dislike the Willwood spot caliper (but this style is now stock on the Vipers)

B
Aaron Cox
Oh.. guy's.. its a "Parking brake" not a "E brake" They are worthless in a emergency

oh.....such a comforting thought! :gilloutine:
SirAndy
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ May 24 2003, 10:11 AM)
Oh.. guy's.. its a "Parking brake" not a "E brake" They are worthless in a emergency.

i used it in a emergency once and it worked (blew the MC, not much fun).
but then again, the 911 "P"-Brake doesn't use cable, right?
so it wouldn't do me any good if i had no brake-fluid anymore ...

Andy
Brad Roberts
911's use cables.

B
SirAndy
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ May 25 2003, 12:53 AM)
911's use cables.

B

hmmm, for some reason i thought the 911 "P"-Brake used the fluid, just like the regular brake confused24.gif unsure.gif
Lawrence
No, I'm pretty sure it's a separate cable actuated mechanism.

-Rusty
Dave_Darling
A little drum brake inside the rotor hat.

Supposedly there isn't much bracketry required to put the 911 p-brake mechanism onto a 914 trailing arm. You do have to re-route the cables, which sounds like a bit of a pain (I think the guy doing this was welding in new tubes through the trailing arm!) but it's all doable.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.