Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need brake job
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
73cool
What should I expect to pay for all 4 brakes, rotors OK. I'm in the Southwest. Any he;p is appreciated. beer3.gif confused24.gif
SLITS
You can get shitty rebuilds from AutoZone or other chain stores or off the net at about $50 - $60 each for fronts and about $90 each for rears. These will probably be Cardone rebuilt calipers.

or

You can go to www.PMBPerformance.com and have Eric do them correctly for $379 per pair front & rear. You need to talk to him.

or

You can get the kits from PMB, watch the video on UTube and do them yourself and save a few bucks.
JawjaPorsche
You get what you paid for. If your 914 is your baby not to mention you want to get brakes that will work for a long, long time. PMB is the way to go.
Jeffs9146
Are you talking about caliper rebuild or just a brake job?
73cool
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Sep 27 2013, 02:29 PM) *

Are you talking about caliper rebuild or just a brake job?

Just a brake job. She also got OEM size wheels today. We were running on monsters. Handles so much better.Click to view attachment
Jeffs9146
If your rotors are fine just throw some pads on! They are not expensive! Some brake shops won't do just the pads for liability reasons! It is very easy to do yourself!
wndsnd
Real nice looking car.

Order pads and rotors from PMB. Not hard to do yourself.
Dave_Darling
Note: Replacing the front rotors means replacing the front wheel bearings. You will need a driver, and some mandrels and/or sockets of various sizes. Or lots of large sockets and pipes for pushing the new races in.

--DD
Johny Blackstain
Eric rules...
Jeffs9146
Yea, just order the pads, unbolt the calipers, punch out the pins, squeeze the caliper pistons in, pull out the old pads, sand the new pads a little bit, slide in the new pads, replace the pins, bolt the calipers back on and pump the brakes! Done!

PS: Dont forget to clean up the brake fluid that overflows from the resevore when you squeezed the caliper pistons!
SLITS
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Sep 27 2013, 05:28 PM) *

Yea, just order the pads, unbolt the calipers, punch out the pins, squeeze the caliper pistons in, pull out the old pads, sand the new pads a little bit, slide in the new pads, replace the pins, bolt the calipers back on and pump the brakes! Done!

PS: Dont forget to clean up the brake fluid that overflows from the resevore when you squeezed the caliper pistons!

Do not try to squeeze the rear caliper pistons back in. They are on a screw to set venting clearance ... not self adjusting. Get a manual and read it about the rears.

I cheat and use a large screwdriver / pry tool on the fronts. While everyone says not to do it, I wedge the tool between the old pads and rotor and push to pistons back.
Jeffs9146
Yes you will have to set the venting clearance in the rears!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.