Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's it worth in Today's market
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Mhead
I've owned this one for over 27 years, having purchased it from the 2nd owner. It now has 22K on the odo (documented) and the only non-original part on the car is the battery (they just don't last 40 years)...

I don't drive it, kind of a garage queen due to its condition and low mileage. I am contemplating a move to something else...of the same vintage but more of a driver.

Any thoughts on it value in today's market?

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
914itis
I am not an expert but if this is rust free, you have some good bread there.

Nice car.
Mhead
QUOTE(914itis @ Sep 28 2013, 05:31 AM) *

Nice car.

Not one spec of rust...This car is as good as the day it rolled off the dealer floor. It's a time capsule...for someone who want's to complete a collection.
Tom_T
Try looking it up on the Hagerty website's pricing guideline - they're pretty good & up with the market, but you'll have to decide if your 70 /4 is a 1-5 condition based on their definitions.
JeffBowlsby
Contact Tod914 through this board...he may be interested in buying it.
mepstein
Tod914 sold one just shy of $40K. I think you have a 914 worth some $$$
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Mhead @ Sep 28 2013, 07:40 AM) *

QUOTE(914itis @ Sep 28 2013, 05:31 AM) *

Nice car.

Not one spec of rust...This car is as good as the day it rolled off the dealer floor. It's a time capsule...for someone who want's to complete a collection.

OK, here I go being the bad boy again.

This is a beat! With the mileage being 22k, I can only assume that it has no rust issues....but.

Having a garage queen myself, I can impart that pieces fail regularly from lack of use. So let's be realistic about this 43 y/o time capsule. It's not going to be so perfect as you may think. The fuel injection and delivery system may work initially, but the parts are old and used infrequently. So, expect to put some money into all injection components, including the fuel tank to make this car reliable. All the lines and injectors will probably need replacing, though not a huge expense. Just be aware.

If I were in the market I'd snap this guy up. But I expect it will bring a near-6 price.
Damned nice period capsule!
PT
dlkawashima
To the owner: I certainly hope you get top dollar, but those pixelated images won't help your cause. I would strongly recommend that you invest in a better camera or find someone who can take professional quality pictures for you. It might only have 22K miles and be the most immaculate 914 on the planet, but there's no way to tell from those pictures.
Mhead
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Sep 30 2013, 12:01 AM) *

To the owner: I certainly hope you get top dollar, but those pixelated images won't help your cause. I would strongly recommend that you invest in a better camera or find someone who can take professional quality pictures for you. It might only have 22K miles and be the most immaculate 914 on the planet, but there's no way to tell from those pictures.

Good point..I'll try to get some better pictures. Thanks for the feedback.
orthobiz
I'm at Brad Mayeur's right now. After doing well at the Porsche Parade this year I decided to continue to garage my low mileage original car, so I bought a helper car that I can drive more often.

Anyway, to echo Pat's comments, I dropped several thousand dollars into my Phoenix Red beauty when I got it, all from disuse. Seals and injectors and fuel lines and clutch and calipers and lots of this and that.

Someone offered me 40K for my car at the Parade, going so far as to slap me on the chest with his checkbook for emphasis. And I know of an unmolested 1975 1.8 non appearance group car (could there be any more unloved iteration?) that went to Germany for 20K.

If you talk with Tod he will agree that top dollar takes work, I probably put 200 hours into my car cleaning what already seemed impossibly clean!

I would love to see more pics please.

Paul
Mhead
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Sep 30 2013, 05:50 AM) *

I'm at Brad Mayeur's right now. After doing well at the Porsche Parade this year I decided to continue to garage my low mileage original car, so I bought a helper car that I can drive more often.

Anyway, to echo Pat's comments, I dropped several thousand dollars into my Phoenix Red beauty when I got it, all from disuse. Seals and injectors and fuel lines and clutch and calipers and lots of this and that.

Someone offered me 40K for my car at the Parade, going so far as to slap me on the chest with his checkbook for emphasis. And I know of an unmolested 1975 1.8 non appearance group car (could there be any more unloved iteration?) that went to Germany for 20K.

If you talk with Tod he will agree that top dollar takes work, I probably put 200 hours into my car cleaning what already seemed impossibly clean!

I would love to see more pics please.

Paul

I did read Pat's note and I want to point out that this car runs and runs perfectly...The injection system works as it should and I keep it exercised so that I won't have the issues caused by non-use. I am fanatical about the gas and tank...keeping it fresh and using today's additives to prevent phase separation and to minimize the effects of alcohol. I don't think you'd want to use this car as a daily driver...due to it's stature. I also realize that it's a 4...and as a result it's not too desirable.

BTW... It still sits on the orginal Michelin X's. Understand that this car has been covered and kept in a cool dry environment so that it not subjected to the elements...heck the guy I bought it from wouldn't let me see it on a rainy day...
orthobiz
Good for you!

Paul
Kraftwerk
+ on the good photo's
You need a professional it will be worth it in the end.
siverson
If it's for sale, please let me know!

-Steve
Mhead
Some additional pictures of the front trunk - Click to view attachment notice no charcoal canisterClick to view attachment
Mhead
Spare tireClick to view attachment
Mhead
another of the spareClick to view attachment
Mhead
Interior shotClick to view attachment

pay attention to the center tray...without divider
Mhead
Rear trunkClick to view attachment
Mhead
ToolsClick to view attachment

Jack still has rubber restraint band on arm
JeffBowlsby
Love the unpretentiousness of this car, it looks so innocent. If its for sale, what are you asking for it?
boxstr
This appears to be a perfect example of a Preservation winning vehicle.
To get top dollar I would research taking this to auction.
Do some research and find which auction will be the best match for the car you are selling. You can hire someone to do all of this work for you. And that might be best, since they will not be personally attached to the vehicle. They can get the pricing for you, get the car cleaned up, and detailed for auction and get it transported to the auction. Good luck with your adventure.
Craig at CAMP
rhodyguy
irish green in chrome trim. lovely car. value? what ever the market will bear. lots i reckon.
PanelBilly
To directly answer your question of what it could be worth, I'd say $30,000, based on how its being presented. Now if you were to trailer the car to some shows and build a record of inspections, that price may go up by $5-10.000.

That's my call
dlkawashima
QUOTE(boxstr @ Nov 17 2013, 09:27 AM) *

This appears to be a perfect example of a Preservation winning vehicle.

Well, I guess I'll play the naysayer (at least for one post) and say that, considering the car's current state of cleanliness, there would be no way for it to win a Preservation class competition. The car would get nitpicked to death over the dirt and stains that show up in the pictures (is that mold on the right edge of the dash?).

To get back on topic, a super clean car simply shows better and therefore enables one the best chance of getting top dollar. But frankly, without seeing the condition of the engine bay and the underside, I don't think an accurate (or at least informed) dollar value can be put on the car.
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Nov 18 2013, 07:05 PM) *

.... considering the car's current state of cleanliness, there would be no way for it to win a Preservation class competition.

Or, for that matter, be accepted and bring top dollar at a serious, high-end auto auction.
Mhead
It's been a while since I had the chance to think about next steps. Considering a little time cleaning and prepping. But will it be worthy of the effort or should I leave it as is as a true survivor with the dirt and patina of 44 years? I bought this car almost 30 years ago as a kid out of college to just drive it around...and then got caught up in life...you know the story. So here a few pics of the engine bay and underside. The first is the left side...the relay board was not covered in the very early cars...Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Mhead
QUOTE(Mhead @ Jan 31 2014, 03:55 PM) *

It's been a while since I had the chance to think about next steps. Considering a little time cleaning and prepping. But will it be worthy of the effort or should I leave it as is as a true survivor with the dirt and patina of 44 years? I bought this car almost 30 years ago as a kid out of college to just drive it around...and then got caught up in life...you know the story. So here a few pics of the engine bay and underside. The first is the left side...the relay board was not covered in the very early cars...original fuel lines (dangerous) still in there...

Click to view attachment
Mhead

Click to view attachment
Mhead
Apologies for the mucked up post and duplicates...need to learn how to post multiple pictures...
JeffBowlsby
Use the "Add Reply" button, not the "reply button. Add text or a smily in each post, then add as many photos in a post as it allows. Resize the photos to 800 x 600 in a photo editor before posting to get more photos in each post.

Great looking 914 by the way. More photos please. wink.gif
mepstein
"I don't drive it, kind of a garage queen due to its condition and low mileage. I am contemplating a move to something else...of the same vintage but more of a driver."

Try driving it to a 914 party. Driving these cars and then hanging out with like minded people is were all the fun is.
Mhead
Front trunk...Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Mhead
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 2 2014, 07:49 AM) *

"I don't drive it, kind of a garage queen due to its condition and low mileage. I am contemplating a move to something else...of the same vintage but more of a driver."

Try driving it to a 914 party. Driving these cars and then hanging out with like minded people is were all the fun is.

I have another that I drive for kicks, same year, about 10K more miles, started life in Darmstadt Germany...brought back in the late 70's...White. To your point about 914 parties...can't find any thing like them in the Northeast...I think most of the remaining 914's went west where the weather is more accommodating. I am in touch with an enthusiast (a couple of 6's) who I have been talking to about an event in the Newport RI area in late summer...I need to get the car in presentable form to show.
mepstein
QUOTE(Mhead @ Feb 2 2014, 11:04 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 2 2014, 07:49 AM) *

I have another that I drive for kicks, same year, about 10K more miles, started life in Darmstadt Germany...brought back in the late 70's...White. To your point about 914 parties...can't find any thing like them in the Northeast...I think most of the remaining 914's went west where the weather is more accommodating. I am in touch with an enthusiast (a couple of 6's) who I have been talking to about an event in the Newport RI area in late summer...I need to get the car in presentable form to show.

Chris Foley/Tangerine Racing puts on a big 914 GTG in CT. And there's always Hershey PA in April
SKL1
Boy that brings back memories- had mine since new so a lot of that looks familiar! Gotta love that tail shifter! wink.gif

Is that some aftermarket rustproofing on the underside and rear of engine sheetmetal? That stuff is a PITA to remove especially when it's 40+ years old!!

If you had the original bill of sale it would be REAL interesting. I'm not convinced the COA from Porsche on those cars is very accurate as dealers back then did a lot of switching around from cars on the lot.

I luckily got the houndstooth seats from an adjacent 914-6 because that was what I'd originally wanted the car didn't come with it. Also changed the wheels after it arrived at the dealer.

I guess now the dealers either won't or can't switch much around from car to car...
nathansnathan
Interesting wire loom in the front trunk. Is that stock on a very early car to have it covered completely? I've only seen the 'racing-style' where it's mostly exposed/wrapped with cloth tape.

like this photo of Pat's 72.
IPB Image

IPB Image
914Sixer
The plastic tubing is interesting. I have never seen it on any of the 70's that I have taken apart. Maybe Jeff B can chime in here. Might have just been on the early production run cars. I am guessing that added cost to the car and the tape wrap version is what we got.
JawjaPorsche
Can't believe the early 914's did not come with relay covers! Especially with rain/water issues! sad.gif
1970 Neun vierzehn
My 1970 wiring, build date 01/70............
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ May 29 2014, 12:47 PM) *

Can't believe the early 914's did not come with relay covers! Especially with rain/water issues! sad.gif

My 1970, build date 01/70, was delivered on 01 April 1970 and did not have a cover on the relay board. Even though it had the appearance package w/chrome bumpers, leather s/w, vinyl roll bar, it did not have fog lights @ delivery. The relay board and factory fog light assembly were installed later, during summer of that year.

Once again it goes to show the running changes, additions, and deletions that occurred as the 914 production started up.

Paul
SKL1
The running changes always interested me- my '71 is a 9/70 build and my dad bought a '71 6 months later, and they seemed like different cars. Interior pieces, carpet, etc totally different...
Mhead
Did Amelia Island 2015 impact the value of the 914?...At last these cars are getting some legitimate recognition.
mepstein
QUOTE(Mhead @ Mar 20 2015, 07:00 AM) *

Did Amelia Island 2015 impact the value of the 914?...At last these cars are getting some legitimate recognition.

Values are determined by prices of recent sales. Recognition will help marketing but it is sold prices that determine values.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.