Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil leak
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
frank lamanski
New to all this air cooled stuff . Put had my 914 for about a year .first leak is at push rod tube .the tube is loose and leaking .next leak is were the oil filter bracket bolts to motor thier are two nuts that hold this on can i get it off .looks like oil cooler is in the way
Mblizzard
The oil tubes can be dealt with by replacing the seals. Not fun but doable with out a major effort.

When you say the oil filter "bracket" do you mean the part that the filter screws on to that is held on to the case by bolts? I may be wrong but I thought that this was a part that was either pretty easy to remove or that it could only be removed if a number of other parts are removed. But I have not seen one leak from there. May just be something I have not seen but I would check the oil sending unit on top of the case by the dizzy and the oil cooler seals to be sure it is not oil coming from above.
frank lamanski
Yes that is what iam talking about .can see oil leaking right were it seal to the block
Mike Bellis
welcome.png
frank lamanski
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Sep 29 2013, 05:15 PM) *

welcome.png

thank you beerchug.gif
Dave_Darling
If a pushrod tube is loose, the spring that holds it in place is probably not in the right spot. The spring is the "bent wire" piece that goes on the underside of the rocker arm holders. The lower parts are supposed to go on the shoulders of the tubes, not stick down the tubes. You can pull them with a pick--I use a small L-shaped Allen wrench--until they click onto the shoulders of the tube.

Getting at the oil filter console nuts is a pain, but it is doable. It's easier without the filter in place, and also without the heater stuff in place. If your car has the 75-76 exhaust, you may need to remove the exhaust as well. Then use "stubby" wrenches, plus 1/4" drive sockets, extensions, U-joints, "wobble" extensions, and any other tricks you have to get the socket onto the nut.

--DD
frank lamanski
Thank you for the support will give it a try beerchug.gif
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Sep 30 2013, 07:52 AM) *
You can pull them with a pick--I use a small L-shaped Allen wrench--until they click onto the shoulders of the tube.

By "them" I mean the lower parts of the wire, not the pushrods or the tubes. Just realized my response may not have been as clear as I meant it to be.

--DD
TheCabinetmaker
There was a thread a few weeks ago regarding the filter mount. It involved removing the oil cooler nuts and sliding it forward as far as it will go then you can access the top nut on the mount. I had an oil and filter change on the lift today and took a good look at the area with the filter off. It looks very doable. I'll find out next week cause I have another car that is leaking there. Mine!
frank lamanski
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Sep 30 2013, 05:52 PM) *

There was a thread a few weeks ago regarding the filter mount. It involved removing the oil cooler nuts and sliding it forward as far as it will go then you can access the top nut on the mount. I had an oil and filter change on the lift today and took a good look at the area with the filter off. It looks very doable. I'll find out next week cause I have another car that is leaking there. Mine!

Thank you for all the help. Got it off yesterday after about 3 hour no gasket on it .what do you think about moving oil filter .Do thay make a kit to move filter up top ?
frank lamanski
QUOTE(frank lamanski @ Oct 1 2013, 06:34 AM) *

QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Sep 30 2013, 05:52 PM) *

Thank you for all the help. Got it off yesterday after about 3 hour no gasket on it .what do you think about moving oil filter .Do thay make a kit to move filter up top ?

Cap'n Krusty
If that essential gasket was missing, I would be inclined to view the condition of the rest of the engine with suspicion.

The Cap'n
stugray
If that essential gasket was missing, I would be inclined to view the condition of the rest of the engine with suspicion.

Unless you use the Loctite "Gasket eliminator" like what Jake provides in his sealant kit.

It works perfectly for that interface while regular silicone would not do well alone for that application.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.