Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: (Semi-OT) Way cool 'fab' shop...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
campbellcj
Saw some very cool stuff today after work, cruising around the prototyping and manufacturing shops at a big customer site.

Some of you guys into welding and metal fab work would have a woody for days. 4 and 5 axis megabuck CNC machining centers, an electron beam welder (fully robotic) that I think they said cost $6mil, curing ovens and x-ray chambers 60 or 80ft long, etc. Remote controlled overhead bridge cranes everwhere, to move stuff around.

One thing that is mfr'ed here is the Atlas V solid rocket booster engines. This thing would blow the minds of any kid who ever screwed with model rockets. 64 feet tall/long, holds about 100,000 lbs of solid rocket propellant!!! Big cast alloy sausage wrapped in composites. It takes almost 3 days to fill with fuel and burns it all up in 90 seconds...$2 or $3mil a pop IIRC (they use several per launch vehicle)

I can only imagine the quality of welding and milling work that goes into these rocket and plane engine and fuel system parts...what a trip.
Bleyseng
sounds like it would make a hell of a great conversion to me
Most autoxing is under 60 seconds!

Geoff
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.