Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speaking of Original
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
dcheek
I'm happy to report that once again a 914 won first in class for Porsches at our ninth annual All Air Cooled Gathering on September 22nd. Congratulations Len Coloccia and his beautiful red low mileage original '74 914. This car was a perfect example of a well preserved and prepared 914.

While the overall turnout for the event was down from last year, the 241 cars that did attend ended up enjoying a beautiful sunny autumn day. This was actually quite surprising considering the dismal forecast for the weekend. It was however, a record turnout for Porsches; 19 total. Everything from 50's 356's to 993 911's.

Thanks to all that attended.

Here's a list of the Porsche Class winners:

Len Coloccia ’74 Porsche 914
Lake Underwood ’57 Porsche Speedster
Steve Raiteri ’71 Porsche 911E

Dave
orthobiz
Hi Dave! Is Len a member here?

Seems like a lot of 914 buzz going on lately. Maybe post a pic or two?
Guess you didn't enter or it would be a First Place Second Place show! smile.gif

Paul
dcheek
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Sep 30 2013, 05:40 AM) *

Hi Dave! Is Len a member here?

Seems like a lot of 914 buzz going on lately. Maybe post a pic or two?
Guess you didn't enter or it would be a First Place Second Place show! smile.gif

Paul

I judged the Porsche class so that, along with the fact that club members (Central Jersey VW Society) are not eligible for trophies, precludes me from winning anything. As far as pictures, I literally had zero time for that. Got up at 4:00 AM, parked 241 cars then judged. By the time I had a break most of the cars left the show. I'll see if someone else took pictures and post ASAP.

Davd
MMW
Here is Len's car.
JawjaPorsche
Not trying to pick the car apart but I was wondering why the trunk area is black and under the hood is black too. The car really looks nice.
marcus p
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Oct 21 2013, 04:06 PM) *

Not trying to pick the car apart but I was wondering why the trunk area is black and under the hood is black too. The car really looks nice.

that was my initial reaction also, looks frickin fantastic, inspiring to say the least.....

thank you cheer.gif
mskala
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Oct 21 2013, 04:06 PM) *

Probably just shadow plus mediocre camera.
Pat Garvey
It looks to me that the areas that appear black ARE gloss black. If that's the case....why?!
rmital
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Nov 6 2013, 06:17 PM) *

It looks to me that the areas that appear black ARE gloss black. If that's the case....why?!

Yes, the trunk areas are painted black. Previous years when Frank owned the car, it was a negative point. I was curious when Len told me he won, I asked if anyone pointed that out. He said trunks and lids were closed for judging. I would have stayed for judging if that was the case. I drive my car more than I detail the engine compartment!

That being said, Len shopped around and got himself a beauty!
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(rmital @ Nov 10 2013, 02:17 PM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Nov 6 2013, 06:17 PM) *

Yes, the trunk areas are painted black. Previous years when Frank owned the car, it was a negative point. I was curious when Len told me he won, I asked if anyone pointed that out. He said trunks and lids were closed for judging. I would have stayed for judging if that was the case. I drive my car more than I detail the engine compartment!

That being said, Len shopped around and got himself a beauty!

My question is ...why would you do that? Killer for resale.
dcheek
For all those getting your Q tips in an uproar, I judged the Porsche Class at the All Air Cooled Gathering. Understand that ALL Porsches are lumped into 1 class, making judging, at the very least, challenging. The reason is that there aren't enough in each class to split them up. Add to the fact that this is a low-key event, meaning there is a very relaxed judging protocol. Suffice it to say that, even to the casual observer, this 914 was well prepared, painted trunk or not. It really stood out above the others. When judged, the trunk was closed, so I never realized the originality issue. I decided to exclude trunks since there was no announcement about leaving them open, and most of the owners were not present during judging. I'm dead set against opening, doors, lids etc. without the owners permission. I've had damage to my cars from this happening. To me it's a big NO-NO.

Keep in mind this 914 was up against a Speedster with racing provenance worth close to a half a million dollars (or more), along with many other examples that would surely have won if it was peoples choice. I was very happy to chose a 914 that showed so well. I stand by my decision.

FYI-Best in Show went to a Corvair Camper Van, which proves we welcome all air cooled vehicles regardless of our affection for vintage Volkswagens. We feel a particular connection to our air cooled Porsche friends for the obvious reasons, and hope more attend in the future.

Dave
MMW
The following is just what I've heard about this car so take it for what it is worth. If anyone has a different story please correct me. I first met Len & his wife Linda at the AACG.

The original owner loved the car so much he decided it was a keeper. Had it disassembled, cleaned, painted & reassembled. It was at that time the trunks & underbody were painted glossy black. Why black trunks, I don't know. There were never any rust issues, he just wanted it spotless. At some point he decided to sell it & then that person (2nd owner) sold it to Len this past summer. It is a beautiful car. The best thing is Len drives it.

As Dave says the AACG is not a concourse event. It is a fun judged event. He has a hard job since the p-cars are all lumped together. I agree there is no reason Lens car should not have won. Not to take away from any others that were there as several were very nice.

Pics below were taken at the 11/10/13 C&C in Mendham NJ.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.