Full Version: Unbelieveable
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
StratPlayer
Unreal what this guy is getting for this shift knob

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=2415847788 confused24.gif
Maine914
Am I missing something here?
Dave_Darling
Well, you're missing the fact that he's listed it at least one or two other times that I know of, with stupidly-high starting bids. And that he was really rude to someone who emailed him asking what was so special about it...

--DD
GWN7
Only that it's about $80 more than it should be. A case of a couple guys having a "I want it contest", mabey.
EdwardBlume
Bridge for sale???
scottb
man.... i've been drinking over at the neighbors and it still doesn't look like a deal! maybe if i switch to tequila??? barf.gif
Maine914
Well, I have been out in the garage with carb cleaner today...Just wanted to make sure the few brain cells left were still working.
Joe Bob
One dork with zero feedback and his brother whose bought a few things....shills at work..... -_-
djm914-6
For that price I'm quite happy with a few cracks in mine. Now if I could only keep it from coming off at the wrong times...
mskala
This is why selling on ebay is great, buying isn't as
great. I tried to buy something today, and I lost it
because somebody bid MORE than the buy-it-now
price with 1 minute to go. If only I could find the
farm that breeds all these morons.
Mark S.
'70 914-6 with cracked shift knob
Qarl
Look at the winning bidder's ebay ID

rmoranjr

His middle name sound like "moron". He can't even spell it right!
Qarl
If only we could part our cars out with stuff going at this rate!

Our cars would be worth $20K easy!

Maybe the seller was related to the seller I flamed a few weeks ago with the "special" Amsco shift knob that he thought was made of gold.

Morons!
Aaron Cox
hehe shift knob morons.....

i think stratplayer is our "official" ebay watch dog.....something interesting, he posts it! something unbelievable, he posts it! something he thinks someone could use...he posts it! mueba.gif
scottb
he he he... you said knob......
philinjax
Hey, I've got a couple of those "fancy" shift knobs in one of my junk drawers. Maybe I can make a couple of C notes too.
Phil
SPNR
Jeez guys don't you recognize a light weight '67 carerra GT4 flat 12 only two ever made shift knob? I'm new to this BB and I'm disappointed......I thought this was going to be a great source of info for my '72 bus twin turbo four liter conversion!!!LOL now huh? rolleyes.gif
Mueller
The wood has darkened and taken on a rich looking patina

Wood???? It looks like a standard plastic unit to me...

Just glue this beauty on and it's ready to go

Hmmm, I guess that little metal ring that Porsche used is not correct??

smile.gif
Gint
I'm happy to see it myself. I'm gonna have to sell some shift knobs. biggrin.gif

The last one I saw in almost as good of shape went for over $50 on ebay.
LvSteveH
laugh.gif
It's a light weight racing part, the glue must weigh less than the metal ring that is supposed to hold it in place

wacko.gif
elmonte
HEY I'am from Danville. not the seller of the knob but for over 100.00
I would sell mine and replace it with a bowling pin LOL
seanery
tweeks has these in their catalog p/n 408-211 (911 72-74) $74.99 .

I can't find them anywhere else new.
Andyrew
I think its time to start selling "Perfect, New In box" factory shift knobs for $95 buy it now!

I didnt think Tweeks had them! I looked in the 911 section but stupid me didnt see they where year and spd specific! Hmm, that might come in handy....

BTW, Tweeks has very good customer service for anyone who needs to know.. but so does Pelican, and a bunch of others..
rhodyguy
oh yeah, tweeks cust service is top drawer. simply stellar. beyond reproach. esp when you tell the person what you want and they ask you for the part #. i'll leave it at that, the beginning of a nightmare.

kevin
Lawrence
Yeah, some folks just get in a frenzy when bidding for something. They lose any trace of sanity, and become victims of testosterone poisoning.

-Rusty
rhodyguy
"gottahaveititus"

kevin
Anton
The 911/912 shift knob has a normal, non-reversed shift pattern. So, unless you are completely dyslectic you might not appreciate this item on your otherwise concours 914. happy11.gif

Of course all you guys already know this, but for the newbee 914 enthousiast, who is seriously considering a rush order from Tweeks, this might be interesting information.
Strange, all of a sudden I'm so content with my kracked shift knob. mueba.gif
rhodyguy
or the fact that it's for the transmission. exactly where does this thing go ON the transmission? mine fits on the SHIFTER HANDLE.

kevin
Anton
Indeed, Kevin, it is hopeless. These characters are just trying to make a quick buck. They couldn't care less if it the parts came of a Russian tank. ar15.gif

Conversely, I know of guys who will only sell parts to Porsche enthusiasts and not to wannabees who want to customize their Beetle... How about that?
rhodyguy
well hopefully those guys will be on a beans and rice diet, with no beans, soon. they will be selling parts to vw guys in short order.

kevin
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Anton @ May 25 2003, 10:30 AM)
The 911/912 shift knob has a normal, non-reversed shift pattern.

Only true for the 911s after 1971, and for the 912E. The earlier 911s (up through 71) and all the 912s except the E had the same shift pattern as the 914.

Cause they have pretty much the same transmission.

--DD
Anton
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ May 25 2003, 11:55 AM)
Only true for the 911s after 1971, and for the 912E.  The earlier 911s (up through 71) and all the 912s except the E had the same shift pattern as the 914.

Dave, you got me confused, as I have never driven or seen a 911 that had first gear in the lower left position (as in 914). In 911 first gear is always in the left upper position, irrespective of reverse gear location (i.e., 901 vs. 915 vs. G50 gearboxes).

The 901 gearbox was used in 911 (and 912) from 1965-1971. A 914 gearbox is just that with the differential installed the other way around; else you would have only 1 gear ahead and 5 in reverse...

So, I remain in the opinion that the 914 shift knob shows a unique pattern and is not interchangeable with other Porsche shift knobs. Why else would it be so difficult to get a new one?
Brad Roberts
DD could this have been USA only ??

Anton,

we have companies in the states that make aftermarket shifters for the early 901/911 with reverse in the upper left just like a 914.

B
seanery
a 901 is a 901 is a 901, right?

(as far as shift patterns go)
Dave_Darling
Anton, you are incorrect. All of the pre-72 911s that I have driven or ridden in (mostly instructing at autoX schools--and I also dated a woman who autoXed a 68 912) had the "dog-leg" gear shift pattern. The differential has absolutely nothing to do with the gear shift pattern, that is set by the forks and sliders and such.

The only reason that it would be difficult to get a 914 shift knob is because someone doesn't feel like looking around for them. IMHO.

--DD
yarin
Maybe a few ricers bought it thinking that the magical "Porche" shift knob will change their gear shift pattern.

smash.gif
Anton
914 shift pattern:

R 2 4
[ - ] - ]
1 3 5

911 (pre 1972) shift pattern:

1 3 5
[ - ] - ]
R 2 4

Right? Please show me where I am incorrect.

I have the strong feeling that we are talking about the same thing only differ in what "pattern" and "non-reversed" means.
Brad Roberts
Anton,

what Dave is saying:

Our pre 72 911's have the exact same shift pattern as our 914's.

They used the same gearbox.. except that the diff was flipped.

The gearshift pattern you show was never used to my knowledge.

The 915 73-86 looked like this:

1 3 5

2 4 R

I personally have never seen a gearbox with the pattern you showed with reverse below first.

B
meursault
All 901 boxes used either of the following shift patterns:

R 2 4
1 3 5
Five speed

R 1 2
3 4
Four speed

901 gearboxes were used on all 911s and 912s, 65-71, and 914s of all years. Period. Now Sportomatics, that's another story.
meursault
Oops, that four speed pattern didn't come out right, somehow. Or I'm just too tired. Try again.

R 1 3
- 2 4
Anton
Got it!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.