Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Intake tubes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pat Garvey
Click to view attachment

I redid my original intake tubes in '79. Got the paint code from Porsche (lost), but made the foolish decision to clear coat them (dull). Engine heat over the years has yellowed the clear coat, so I went looking for better. Found it on this forum but think it's a tad too glossy. Color seems right and the tubes have all the fuel line crimps.

So, I want the opinion of others here. Is the finish too glossy (easily taken care of), and I think it is?

The new/old ones are painted (Not powder coated) so I can make the easily the right patina. LMK what you think.

There is also a technical thing here. The threads have all been painted, so I suspect I should strip the paint from them to get proper torques measurements on tightening.
Insights?
Pat
orthobiz
I think they will look less glossy when they are in the car. Brad Mayeur painted mine in 2007 and the judges did not comment negatively about the engine bay at all.

Paul
Jasfsmith
Strip and redo. Chase the treads and protect them when you repaint. Isn't this fun? <grin>
JeffBowlsby
Aaahhh my eyes! rolleyes.gif

Techline Coatings - Titanium. Find them on the web, you can do it yourself. Its high heat tolerant ceramic coating, and is a spot on match for the factory finish and gloss level. It is thin high quality coating (although it can be damaged), does not build to a heavy thickness like powdercoatings and I have used it on the exhaust parts too with what I consider to be excellent results. I had a shop do mine.

Will say though that when this issue was studied before we found several different factory colors/glosses over the years. Some darker, some lighter, and I think an issue is the conditions and lighting that an item was phtographed under, they can make a difference in what is portrayed.
tod914
Howdy gang! My computer has been down, so haven't been active on the board in some time. Hope the crew is well.

Pat, if you search under my name, there is a lot of reference photos I posted of intake runners from low mileage original engine bays well over a year ago. It's a low gloss finish from what I seen on original runners. Can be made glossier by waxing etc.. Same sheen as what Jeff is showing on his refinished exhaust components, which looks quite excellent.

The best exhaust/intake match I have seen is from Eastwood. Viewed it on an early 911 at a PCA concours several years back. The match seemed excellent. In fact it looked so good, I would of put it on the frog if I just didn't get done with Cerekote on the entire exhaust system. Battleship grey in color.

I didn't see the product currently listed on the Eastwood site. Maybe give them a call if you want to give it a try. The individual part number on the can is 101782

http://onlinetoolsupply.com/exhaust-detail...tainless-steel/ has the kit.

Some people like cold steel galvanize. I just had no luck in getting it to stick. When you getting Fritz back on the road?

Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Oct 1 2013, 08:48 AM) *

Aaahhh my eyes! rolleyes.gif

Techline Coatings - Titanium. Find them on the web, you can do it yourself. Its high heat tolerant ceramic coating, and is a spot on match for the factory finish and gloss level. It is thin high quality coating (although it can be damaged), does not build to a heavy thickness like powdercoatings and I have used it on the exhaust parts too with what I consider to be excellent results. I had a shop do mine.

Will say though that when this issue was studied before we found several different factory colors/glosses over the years. Some darker, some lighter, and I think an issue is the conditions and lighting that an item was phtographed under, they can make a difference in what is portrayed.

No, you're correct - too much gloss! I'm going to try compounding them before a total redo. Yeah, the pic leaves a lot questions. Next time I'll use better lighting.

I have a similar problem with my engine cross bar - I painted it also in'79, but I'll keep that look. Didn't realize at the time that they were never painted!

Have a gorgeous 2.o bar (why, I don't know - I'm a parts whore) that has been painted gloss black many years ago. Guess I thought at one time about changing to a side shifter.

I'll send better and updated pics after compounding. At least all the hose tabs are there.
P
Pat Garvey
Well, here's something to ponder.
In the process of stripping/restoring a different set of tubes and I found something I'd forgotten I had, and don't know what it is.
Two partnos involved - 022133211 (stripped, and positive for my 914), and 039133211 (chromed/powder coated from somewhere?).

The 022 is about an inch longer that 039, has different mounts. 039 has no visible line mounts or nubs for same - it IS smooth as glass.
Watcha think?
tod914
Pat maybe give George a shout. He might have some NOS ones. Why settle for less if you can get them?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.