Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 3.6 tranny options
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
stephenpowless
Currently have a 915 transmission with 3.6 varioram motor. It's very balky and I'd like to switch back to the original G50. The bell housing took a big hit in a track mishap when they were in a 911. The motor is now in a 914 and I miss the G50. Stan at GBox has offered to fabricate a new bell housing and add GT3RS third, fourth and fifth gears. Has anyone made this conversion? My mechanic is wondering about what pedal cluster to use. Any recommendations appreciated. TIA.
Will this be in a 914 or 911?
stephenpowless
QUOTE(396 @ Sep 30 2013, 10:50 PM) *

Will this be in a 914 or 911?

This is going to be mated the motor previously moved from the wreck, to a 914 track car. I've been testing and tuning for two years now. First had to track down a ECU problem. Now working on the alignment. I'm really unhappy with the 915 transmission the builder put in the car
brant
The ring and pinion machined. Not a bolt in job. I believe the g50 interferes with the chassis
SirAndy
QUOTE(brant @ Oct 1 2013, 09:50 AM) *
I believe the g50 interferes with the chassis

It's been 10 years since i've looked at a G50 in a 914 but if i recall correctly, it was mounted upside down to clear the chassis.

popcorn[1].gif
tscrihfield
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 1 2013, 01:35 PM) *

QUOTE(brant @ Oct 1 2013, 09:50 AM) *
I believe the g50 interferes with the chassis

It's been 10 years since i've looked at a G50 in a 914 but if i recall correctly, it was mounted upside down to clear the chassis.

popcorn[1].gif

agree.gif all I've seen have been mounted upside down.
brant
Are they all converted to cable shifts?
Matt Romanowski
It has to be upside down if you want multiple forward gears and only one reverse. Kit car people do it fairly often.
stephenpowless
QUOTE(Matt Romanowski @ Oct 1 2013, 04:55 PM) *

It has to be upside down if you want multiple forward gears and only one reverse. Kit car people do it fairly often.

It does get machined and flipped. It is true, they use this set-up with kit cars. My question has to do with applications in the 914. I know there are no chassis fit problems. I'm wondering about pedal cluster requirements and height changes/motor position and alignment. Also functionality. Although I'm not happy with the 915 currently in the car, I could "get used to it" and deal, but it's not a G50, and if the conversion can be achievable, I'm willing to work it out. I'm hoping someone else has done it and has insight into the advisability of making the change
Yes the 915 is not a G50, but what's your concerns with a 915? Also, how is the current set up...side shifter / Vellios, Wevo and or cable ? Oh how about Martins 916 type side shifter?
stephenpowless
QUOTE(396 @ Oct 1 2013, 08:19 PM) *

Yes the 915 is not a G50, but what's your concerns with a 915? Also, how is the current set up...side shifter / Vellios, Wevo and or cable ? Oh how about Martins 916 type side shifter?

Current setup is Porsche 914 short shifter and Wevo linkage. My Wevo shifter apparently could not be set up, so even with short shifter, it's like driving a bus. It can be physically hard to pull it out of 5th gear when downshifting, then you have to hunt for third gear. After driving with a g50 on the track, it's difficult to go back to the 915. It's like going from a 993, to a SC.
I know what you mean as I've driven G50 and 996 cars. I have a vellios set up along with the usual mods like linkages etc. I've gotten used to it. Also, I've mod the 915 shift tower a little wider (gate) so I can engage 5th better..maybe its time for a rebuild on the 915
ch914er
Put in a Boxter 987 Tranny wink.gif

Randal
Didn't Britain just put one of those in his?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.