Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shifter lube
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
malcolm2
When I removed my shifter, I noticed what looked like a small amount of 37 year old grease on the bottom of the shift ball, and maybe a little on the springs.

I ran across this picture on ebay today, exactly the same as mine. But I cleaned mine up.

Click to view attachment

So is it or was it grease? Anyone have an opinion on what type I should use, where to put it. any other locations than the dried up stuff here, and how much in each area?

Axle grease strategically globbed, or maybe some silicone spray in and around the same area, and re-apply down the boot yearly?
rhodyguy
brake cleaner works fine. i just use bearing grease. gobbing it up just holds more crap. in that picture, note the wear on the lever where it contacts the detent plate. might be my screen but the plate looks to be worn in the middle. if/while yours is apart replace the 2 plastic bushings that cradle the lever ball. one of them can be seen in the photo.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.