Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT 87 vette convert
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
d914
Just hit by a truck... Driver side, rear bumper cover, cracked fiberglass crossing a quarter of the way across the deck area, running light and antenna motor gone. Crack just short of driver door...

Any ideas on cost of repair.. plus or minus a grand????

Fix or replacement parts... whole rear replaced??

Car worth maybe $5-6k...... enough for ins to total????

No idea on costs.. collision guys.......how much does it cost to fix a vette.

headed out later or tomorrow for an estimate..

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Ferg
Betting it's a gonner, Unless it has crazy low miles or you fight like hell they will total that. I would not want it fixed anyhow, never be the same.

If I had to guess that is 3k plus easy.

I'd start gathering comps of recent sales.

Ferg
d914
answer is $$$$$$$$$5600.00
Ferg
Not surprised.

Start searching comps, and solds. If it were me I"d check auction sites like Mecum, Ebay, ect and search the solds for 87-90 verts.
sixnotfour
It's not a Gonner It's a Donor.....
Mike Bellis
That's a great donor car!!!
Jeff Hail
$7000 just by visual alone for the SMC replacement and bumper, lamp, liner.

The rear trunk/ floor compartment is one piece that also makes up the right and left rear inner panels. If it's damaged and requires replacement $10k easy. The composite inner panel is bonded to the frame along with 19 stand off brackets that are NLA from GM and have to be cut and transferred to the new panel.

Need to get the car torn down, qtrs. and upper deck panel, bumper removed to properly evaluate.
914forme
First off sorry for your lose.

Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it.
scotty b
IMHO. Insurance will total it. In reality it could be fixed for 2-3K depending on underlying damage. The bumper would come back out simply by fixing / replacing the brackets. It is being held in it's current position by the brackets being bent and the fiberglass being broken. All of the cracks could be repaired properly and strongly , but they wouldn't be " insurance company approved " It's a game, if you want to win, you have to play.

P.S. It's an uphill battle. My advice....Let/make them total it and buy it back. Take the payout and repair it or make it a donor
d914
Thanks Scotty.... I believe that's my plan based on the numbers
d914
Got the bid from the ins company,, they want to fix for $4300.00

Im going by a vette place today to check on bid .

Right now I think I will drive for a while and then sell as an ugly Driver!!

If I fix I will need to have whole car painted not half.. Not a lot of money but more into a car Im not sure I was going to keep anyway??

Love driving it.. I know not a lot of fans of this car here but it is a blast to drive.. More incentive to get the 914 done..
d914
rehabbed the vette,, re bent the support bars and cleaned her up,, picked up a used marker light.. pocketing the change and selling as is.. hopefully that might take a few weeks!!

Click to view attachment
d914
mmm

Click to view attachment
r_towle
Odd, just found something up here.

Look on craigslist in Boston and
New Hampshire under the auto parts section.

There is a rear clip for your car on CL for sale, and it seemed cheap.

Sorry, I can't remember where it was, but if you look on those two sites, you should find it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.