Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can flywheel bolts be reused?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914mikee100
The bolts that came with my new flywheel are way too short to work. Can I reuse my old bolts or is that not done?
gunny
The correct answer would be to use new bolts. I just but on my flywheel with new clutch last weekend and the old bolts look great but I used new bolts not that expensive. I would guess that many use the old bolts. Mak sure you use a new washer plate and felt washer.
Cap'n Krusty
In all the clutch jobs, engine overhauls, and jobs requiring removal of the T4 flywheel I've done over the last 40 years, I don't recall ever replacing the bolts. They're not stretch bolts (AKA "torque to yield"), they're just plain old bolts with a locking flange which gets a bite on the steel locking plate. Besides that, the book doesn't say to replace them.

The Cap'n
brant
which motor.... 4 or 6
and if 6 which displacement

the answer is different depending on which motor
914mikee100
It's a 993 3.6.
QUOTE(914mikee100 @ Oct 2 2013, 12:32 PM) *

It's a 993 3.6.

With that kind of $ involved, why take a chance on a used bolt. It's like taking a shower and putting on the same underwear.
Mike Bellis
www.boltdepot.com

cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif
reharvey
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Oct 1 2013, 06:20 PM) *

In all the clutch jobs, engine overhauls, and jobs requiring removal of the T4 flywheel I've done over the last 40 years, I don't recall ever replacing the bolts. They're not stretch bolts (AKA "torque to yield"), they're just plain old bolts with a locking flange which gets a bite on the steel locking plate. Besides that, the book doesn't say to replace them.

The Cap'n

agree.gif Has anyone had one fail? I never have on my 7 cars in normal use without any abuse.
McMark
why take a chance on a used bolt.

why take a chance on a new bolt of unknown manufacture.
QUOTE(McMark @ Oct 2 2013, 08:48 PM) *

why take a chance on a used bolt.

why take a chance on a new bolt of unknown manufacture.
- buy OEM Porsche
cwpeden
I work in ship building and the engineers/inspectors have always have always stated rotating assemblies are single use fasteners. All others can be re+re.

Of course none of us will find ourselves floating in the middle of the ocean without propulsion, and i've been guilty of not following my own advice and some given here.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(914mikee100 @ Oct 2 2013, 12:32 PM) *

It's a 993 3.6.

Well, this is yet another case of asking a question WITHOUT divulging critical information. Had you told us, as a group, that you're talking about a non-stock application, you would have gotten a correct answer. ALL 911 flywheel bolts are ALWAYS replaced after each torquing to spec. And they're not cheap .....................

The Cap'n
smcfarland
no
Drums66
.....Of course you can reuse them!....but, if you're
going with everything new(rebuilding engine)replace with OEM.(idea)
bye1.gif flag.gif (just my opinion)
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Oct 3 2013, 11:36 AM) *

Well, this is yet another case of asking a question WITHOUT divulging critical information. Had you told us, as a group, that you're talking about a non-stock application, you would have gotten a correct answer. ALL 911 flywheel bolts are ALWAYS replaced after each torquing to spec. And they're not cheap .....................

The Cap'n

agree.gif You guys have to be more specific in order to receive a specific answer.

Don't play around with torque to yield bolts. They're designed to stretch, and once they do, they're not to be used again. Especially don't play around on a 993 engine. That's a very expensive engine/tranny combo to cheap out on a few bolts for. If it was a 79 F-100 that you wanted to get a few more miles out of, I could somewhat understand. But it's not.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.