Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help, Whooping sound from engine?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Kaduku
I noticed a whopping type sound from the engine. Sorry that is the only way I can describe it.

I especially noticed it when I installed the Triad exhaust. It was like the sound was coming from the left exhaust port. After a few minutes it went away. So anyway I took out the Triad and put back the old exhaust, drove around and noticed the sound again.

One person said it might be my alternator. Can this be true?
Garland
QUOTE(Kaduku @ Oct 1 2013, 03:55 PM) *

I noticed a whopping type sound from the engine. Sorry that is the only way I can describe it.

I especially noticed it when I installed the Triad exhaust. It was like the sound was coming from the left exhaust port. After a few minutes it went away. So anyway I took out the Triad and put back the old exhaust, drove around and noticed the sound again.

One person said it might be my alternator. Can this be true?

Check the belt for fraying, it happen to me once, and the frayed piece was " whopping" the housing. It sounding like it was coming from one of the jugs. So happy when I found it was just a fraying belt.
7TPorsh
like a whoop whoop whoop nyuk nyuk nyuk?
SirAndy
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Oct 1 2013, 03:43 PM) *

agree.gif

If so, that could be the fan to alternator belt ...
idea.gif
poorsche914
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Oct 1 2013, 06:43 PM) *

Certainly... slap.gif
Kaduku

Lol I get it

Kaduku
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 1 2013, 04:27 PM) *

agree.gif

If so, that could be the fan to alternator belt ...
idea.gif

Please tell me this is an easy fix!

DBCooper
QUOTE(Kaduku @ Oct 1 2013, 08:56 PM) *

Lol I get it

Has anyone explained it to Andy?

NORD

Fan belt change is easy. smash.gif Just look in the Haynes book and get a box of Band Aids. That's all tin work there.
Rand
Before we can accurately diagnose this situation online we are going to need much more expressive terms. You said whopping. Oh wait, you also said whooping. Big difference. And yes, spelling matters a LOT since we can only hear that way online.

You are conflicted just between your subject and your first statement. We have work to do

(and NORD is no help. Except he is good at changing fan belts. Even though 914s don't have fan belts.)

Based on post #1 I would suggest exhaust connections. They need to seal tightly.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Oct 1 2013, 08:25 PM) *

QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Oct 1 2013, 06:43 PM) *

Certainly... slap.gif

lol-2.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5j8Jioan1w
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.