Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Price Question from a nubee
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
Paul J
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentGuys, I came across this 914 the other day and was wondering what I should make as an initial offer on it. I believe it is a '75 or '76. I have no idea on miles. It hasn't run in over 16 years. The interior is completely shot. All the rubbers around the windows and roof top will need to be replaced. It is sitting outside and apears to have been so for a long time. I can't see if the frame is rusted out or not. The passengers side rear quarter pannel has been banged pretty good.

I have a 14 year old son who will be driving in 2 years and I thought it would be a good project car to work on together. If it's affordable.... what's it worth as it is??
JawjaPorsche
QUOTE(Paul J @ Oct 2 2013, 11:28 AM) *

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentGuys, I came across this 914 the other day and was wondering what I should make as an initial offer on it. I believe it is a '75 or '76. I have no idea on miles. It hasn't run in over 16 years. The interior is completely shot. All the rubbers around the windows and roof top will need to be replaced. It is sitting outside and apears to have been so for a long time. I can't see if the frame is rusted out or not. The passengers side rear quarter pannel has been banged pretty good.

I have a 14 year old son who will be driving in 2 years and I thought it would be a good project car to work on together. If it's affordable.... what's it worth as it is??

I afraid this 914 is too far gone. You could buy it and work on it but you will be spending a lot of money and you will never get your money back. Rust is your biggest and most expensive repair not to mention the busted quarter panel.

I suggest looking somewhere else. There are much better 914 project cars out there. Good luck.

Look in our classifies http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showforum=20

or Samba: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/

There 914's listed there too.
SLITS
It's a '75.

Scrap metal ... max $200. In fact they should pay you to tow it away.
tweet
That is not a project. That is someone else's nightmare you will inherit. There are many 914's still available for sale. Some are running, some are not. But you should at least start with a car that is complete and has all of it's parts in usable condition. And yes, rust is a major problem on an old car; especially since our cars' structurally integrity depends on a good solid floor pan.
euro911
Ron beat me to it. Even if you got it for free. Sitting outside in a field for that period of time surely did some serious damage to it.
Milsha12
Take it from a guy who bought a nightmare much like it, but marketed much better. I took too long to realize mine was more than I could handle.

If you see some rust, expect much more once you start working, especially based on its current parking spot.

If you are into doing a lot of welding and buying parts to save this car from the crusher, then go for it. More power to you. I recommend spend no more than $200 on it, but maybe (like others have said) he should pay you to remove it from his property.

If you are not in it for a huge cost and labor project, then find one in better shape with more good parts.
Porschef
I looked at a similar one not long ago. Owner was asking a price that led me to think it was in somewhat decent condition. Not at all, as it turned out. So far gone that it was worth only scrap, with maybe 100 clams worth in parts. The car had been left outside for at least the last 5 years.

So many were left neglected, probably because they weren't expensive, or all that desirable. Kinda sad.

Definitely keep looking. Maybe for kicks you can pull of or at least look at the longs. Then at least you'll know what not to look for in a 914...
shuie
I'd need better pictures to know for sure, but it looks like you could put $10k-$15k worth of parts and two years of your time into it before it was worth $5k.
Mikey914
Vin is a 75,
Worth- what ever the parts you can take off it. Unless you have lots of space to store not worth your time.
tweet
Don't forget, you still have to pay for towing. And if the tires are rotted, the car will not get very far before you lose one. Been there, done that. More money $$$$, just to get it home.
Rand
What's a nubee? I've heard of nubiles. I guess, since you are new, you are a newb.... Oh wait, I don't know how to spell the second syllable.

Serious note:
Good advice above. Run from this heap.
Paul J
Thanks for all the feed back. The concensus is pretty much what I had figured. Best left to someone else!
Spoke
Just out of curiosity, how much do you see yourself spending on a 914 should you buy one?
Griffinroydonald
I have a horror story for you along these same lines. I bought a 1970 -914 off of E-Bay several years ago with the hopes of building a finished car out of it. It ran and drove onto the dolly I picked it up with. I paid $1500 for the car sight unseen except pictures on e-bay. Passenger side pan was shot so I replaced it. gas pedal was held together with grey tape so I replaced it. I have purchased another parts car to strip and use as needed $750. New 924 seats and carpet. I have replaced many parts on the car and in my opinion it looked pretty good. I went into the hospital and needed to sell the car. I started at $1000 and had no takers. I called a local expert and he told me it was just a parts car and made a $600 an offer. This was to include a truck load of extra parts and stuff I had saved from the parts car, and extra engine and transmission, extra rims and new tires, I was shocked and the deal never went any farther. I thought this car would have a fair market value but was told by Addias in Belmont it was not worth hauling home. he is an expert. The car still lives in my back yard as a memorial of how not to spend my hard earned money and people not to try and deal with . I invested over $2500 I could not get $600 out of. WTF.gif
914runnow
Wellllll here is my buzz on it...IF you have the room/space......
You have A Perfect candidate for a 'Get To Know' a 914 car.....
if the car IS complete......for a while you will be in gloves and masks
from all of the mouse poop...maybe some snakes...or hornets nests..
(been there done that)....but really fun..!!!! Next since it is a 75
it will have 2 adjustable seats and side shift tranny....
you will more than likely buy a 73 or later...when you do....
Was it a 2 liter???
anyway get your metrics out....and you and your son dissect the
brains out of it....consider it your cadaver....
get a most Xlnt sawzall and short and long blades and see how these
cars tick.......pitch the bad or crappy stuff ..keep the stuff you want...
and the cut metal, sell or recycle it....
all n all it is a 40 hour project if you see what these cars are...
someone might buy the harness out of it...so be kool on extracting that...
you 2 will learn sooooo much....3 people can lift the tranny and motor together..
once out of the car..then tear that down...!!!
Soooo that is just the start...just find a trusty dumpster though....
take seats apart..back pad if they are shot...then pitch em..
leave your suspension and rear hand brake till last.....
once the engine and tranny are out it rolls really easy.!!
and again you might get some decent parts out of it.....
So good luck...If it is a 2.0 250.00$ is very very fair..
KIDZRAX
I have a California dry climate car about to go to paint on Monday. If you want one, call me. Mine can be for sale and your son can pick his own color! (661)860-3039. Joe
malcolm2
QUOTE(914runnow @ Oct 5 2013, 11:07 PM) *

....consider it your cadaver....

I like that idea. Maybe the dude that owns it will let you just come tear it down. No cost to you, but time and you will learn lots.

GaroldShaffer
agree.gif with Gint. I still do that today, actually I just did that Saturday. Picked up two cars, one that actually be a good project car for some and the other a folded in half parts car. screwy.gif I find it fun to take apart these parts car, I learn more about them everyday.

Like most people on here my first 914 was not a the great car I thought it was. It ran and drove, but once I got to know what to look for I discovered it wasa running & driving parts car at best. dry.gif

Here is the pair I picked up, well actually the blue one is still in the guys spare garage where it has sat since 1978, folded in half. Not sure how I am going to get it home yet. biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

Was it a 2 liter???
you 2 will learn sooooo much....3 people can lift the tranny and motor together..
porsha916
Hi, Where is the car located? They are right! I might worth $200-300, for parts!!!
If you are looking to find a 914, as a driver, maybe I can help! I have owned about 30 914's including a six, helped with v8 conversions, six conversions, and restorations. I currently own 10 914's, In various states of disrepair, and If you are interested I could help steer you in the right direction. I live in candor, NY. driving.gif Email me at porsha916@msn.com
Take Care
Bill
Evil914
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Oct 7 2013, 05:56 PM) *

agree.gif with Gint. I still do that today, actually I just did that Saturday. Picked up two cars, one that actually be a good project car for some and the other a folded in half parts car. screwy.gif I find it fun to take apart these parts car, I learn more about them everyday.

Like most people on here my first 914 was not a the great car I thought it was. It ran and drove, but once I got to know what to look for I discovered it wasa running & driving parts car at best. dry.gif

Here is the pair I picked up, well actually the blue one is still in the guys spare garage where it has sat since 1978, folded in half. Not sure how I am going to get it home yet. biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

Was it a 2 liter???

agree.gif
Todd Enlund
I wouldn't spend much on it, and wouldn't try to restore it... but there is definitely an amount of knowledge and fun to be gained by stripping a 914. I agree with that crowd, and would give up a few bucks for the experience. Keep or sell what's good, and sell the rest for scrap.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.