The final hurdle in the engine build turned out to be battery charging. I had put an LED in the warning light spot. Do that and the alternator spins but doesn't do anything else.

Recognizing this and wanting to get home, I shorted DF to D+. That worked for a couple blocks and then there was a short through the alternator.

I thought I had burned out the diodes, but it turned out to be a short between one of the bolts on the diode pack to the rear alternator cover. An old story that has been mentioned here before. I had insulated the cover with spray rubber, and I think as the alternator warmed up, the insulation softened allowing the short. So after removing the slightly spot welded offending washer and adding some insulation with RTV to hold it in place, it is back in action. Of course the belt came off the first time round, but after tightening I have power!! smilie_pokal.gif

Now, can anyone tell me why Rustoleum always lifts on the second coat? dry.gif I used their engine enamel on parts and when I want to touch up a worn spot it lifts the first coat! I should have known, but rattle cans are so convenient.