thanks
ben*james
popcorn[1].gif

QUOTE(cal914 @ Oct 2 2013, 11:46 AM) *

Hi
can some one tell me the beat way to remove a 1970 914 dash
thanks

Cupomeat
It has been a while but it took a fair bit of work and pain/injury when i did it, but I'll try to recount the steps for others to chime in and provide improvements/insight.

1. Remove screws that hold the lower knee pad on and remove it. If you have a mid/later car with the edge vents, be careful to gently disconnect the hose from them as it comes off.
2. Pull the gauge cluster forward and out of the way to give you some access

3. Pull the ashtray to get it and its support structure out of the way

4. pull the glove box strap off and remove the box structure to give access.

5. Locate the plastic nuts that hold the dash down. I think there are 7 of them but someone will have to correct me as I am far from a reference. Some of these will be difficult and i chewed up my hands a bit getting them out.

6. Gently lift the dash off and if it does not come easily, there is a remaining plastic nut somewhere.

I hope that helps. I have a perfect dash that I need to replace my one with 2 cracks so I'll be taking my own medicine soon.
Sleepin
Do you need to just take the dash pad off? If so, Cupomeat's instructions are pretty accurate. I just pulled mine as well. Be mindful that some of the plastic nuts are sideways as well. I can post a picture of my dashpad later today if needed.

If you need to take the dash frame out, it requires gaining access to four nuts in the deepest recesses of the front trunk. Two of those are behind the wiper motor.

IPB Image
IPB Image
dlkawashima
There should be 9 nuts total.

There are good instructions, with pics, in the 914Info section .... here:

http://www.914world.com/specs/Dash_Top_Removal.php

The only thing I would do differently than those instructions would be to remove the cable to the speedometer. That should give you a little more room to move the gauge cluster away from the dash.

Also, I found that using a knurled ratchet like below was very helpful in getting into the tight spaces that you'll encounter.

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Oct 2 2013, 01:03 PM) *
There are good instructions, with pics, in the 914Info section .... here:

http://www.914world.com/specs/Dash_Top_Removal.php

agree.gif
mepstein
Patience and a prior thread to show you where all the plastic nuts are located.
Cupomeat
Andy, Sadly, "Washer- The movie" is no longer available in the North American market... Any knowledge when it will be coming to Blu-Ray?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.