Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Importing a 914 to the USA
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
earossi
I've been lurking on this board for some time looking for the right car to purchase for my use in PCA events. As a result, there have been several cars of interest that were registered Canadian cars. I've shied away from these cars because of the "unknown" issues of bringing a car into this country.

Can someone comment on the hassle involved in importing a non-USA 914 into the country? What needs to be done, how feasible is it, and is the cost such that it makes the event to exorbitant to pursue?

When I Googled the importation regs, it appears that most of the regs apply to cars that are less than 25 years old. Since all 914's are more than 25 years old, is there some exemption (I couldn't find one). And, it appears that you have to satisfy requirements from both IDOT and EPA!

It would be great and much appreciated if someone could respond to this post who has actually gone through the importation process successfully and who would be willing to provide a description of what had to be done to the cars and its cost.

Thanks.
914forme
This is not legal in anyway, but I knew a place that used to do this with MK1 Mini's.

Owner in states buys a shell of a Mini, takes it up north, going across the boarded you say going to car show at XYZ. Be back in two days, return trip back you have a pristine car on the trailer as you picked it up at ABC, with vin plates off shell welded in, and they scraped of the hunk of junk. Or restored it and sold it to the next state sider to get the shaft.

New of two guys that did in in this area. In reality it comes up all the time as Canada does get some hardware you can't buy down here in the states. Newer VW pickup trucks come to mind. Sure we got the Vanagon, but what a bout the truck.

The legal way, buy it, import it, and pay the fees. Several companies will do it as a service for you.

.Gov site the following was lifted off of.
"What are the requirements for importing classic or antique vehicles / cars for personal use?

Generally, classic or antique vehicles are exempt from Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and Department of Transportation (DOT) pollution and safety requirements.

If the vehicle is at least 21 years old, there are no EPA compliance requirements upon importation.
A motor vehicle that is at least 25 years old can be lawfully imported into the U.S. without regard to whether it complies with all applicable DOT Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS). Such a vehicle would be entered under Box 1 on the HS-7 Declaration form to be given to Customs at the time of importation. If you wish to see that form, you may download a copy from our website at www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import. You should note that the 25 year period runs from the date of the vehicle's manufacture. If the date of manufacture is not identified on a label permanently affixed to the vehicle by its original manufacturer, to establish the age of the vehicle, you should have documentation available such as an invoice showing the date the vehicle was first sold or a registration document showing that the vehicle was registered at least 25 years ago. Absent such information, a statement from a recognized vehicle historical society identifying the age of the vehicle could be used.
See: http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/

The importer must file with CBP, upon entry, an EPA form 3520-1 (with a copy of title, etc. attached) and declare code "E" on that form. CBP may waive this requirement for nonresidents traveling temporarily in the U.S. in Mexican or Canadian registered vehicles with no intent to sell the vehicle. You can also obtain the form by calling EPA at 734-214-4100.

The importer is also required to file a DOT form HS-7, which may be available at the port of entry and can be downloaded from the DOT Web site or by calling the Auto Safety Hotline at 1-800-424-9393.

If the car is old enough to be exempt from DOT requirements (the same documents that would confirm this for EPA purposes should also address this issue) the importer may check the block on the HS-7 stating the vehicle does not have to confirm to DOT requirements.
If the vehicle is not old enough to be exempt from DOT requirements, the importer will have to provide proof that the car conforms to DOT safety regulations. Options include a letter from the original manufacturer or a sticker on the inside of the driver's door indicating that the car was manufactured to U.S. standards.
If the importer is unable to prove that a car conforms to DOT requirements, it will have to be imported through a Registered Importer (RI). Classic or antique vehicles are subject to a 2.5% duty rate, which is based on its worth at the time of import. Canadian-made vehicles are generally duty free, provided the importer has valid proof of its origin.
If you wish to receive automatic updates to this Q&A, select "Subscribe to Updates" on the left side of this screen."
bulitt
I'm sure you just mentioned the illegal method as an example, but that is just nuts.
914forme
Yes it was for example, I would never do that. Unfortunately I know of several that have been done.

But its no different than taking a 914-6 and swapping chassis to get a clean version. It happens more than you would like to think.
SirAndy
QUOTE(earossi @ Oct 3 2013, 06:10 AM) *
When I Googled the importation regs

I Googled "classic car federalization" and it came up with some good reading.

This might help:
http://www.buyclassiccars.com/import.asp
bye1.gif

welcome.png
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.