Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where do I adjust the clutch? PICS Please!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Kaduku
First of all, the search function on this forum SUCK! I get better results Googling "Porsche 914 World" with whatever I am looking for. Still I can't find instructions on where to adjust the clutch cable. Pics would really help too.

Also where can I jack up the car safely on the chassis. I have a small 2 ton jack.

7TPorsh
Jack the car up at the passenger side just in front of the rear wheel. You will see a round plate the jack cup fits into.

Put a jack stand under the engine bar.

Look for a cable that comes out back then loops over a wheel 180 degrees to a lever. You will see a locknut or two.

Tighten or loosen nut. If this adjustment doesnt work or is temporary, you may have some deeper issues.
SLITS
Buy and read the cheap ass Haynes Manual.
Kaduku
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Oct 3 2013, 09:22 AM) *

Jack the car up at the passenger side just in front of the rear wheel. You will see a round plate the jack cup fits into.

Put a jack stand under the engine bar.

Look for a cable that comes out back then loops over a wheel 180 degrees to a lever. You will see a locknut or two.

Tighten or loosen nut. If this adjustment doesnt work or is temporary, you may have some deeper issues.

So I never had shifting issues besides the slight hesitation you get into second gear. A shop replaced my clutch cable without telling me because they said the cables were worn out. We'll since then I have trouble getting into first gear and occasionally into reverse.

JawjaPorsche
New clutch cables will stretch a little bit. You probably need to tighten the cable a little. Loosen the outside nut (see black arrow in picture) then I would tighten the inside nut, 360 degrees and check by shifting through gears. If that works, tighten the outside nut against the inside nut. You will need to have two wrenches on the nuts to tighten.
chads74
Click to view attachment
chads74
Had to add the pic from my phone. You can see the white plastic wheel that the clutch cable does the 180 around. Tighten the nut where the cable ends.

Like was said before the cable will strech, I had to readjust mine just from moving to a different climate, well at least thats what I am blaming it on.
jfort
Isn't it about getting the "free play" in the clutch pedal right? Want some free play so the clutch is fully engaged, but not too much
Kaduku
Thanks all, especially for the pics. It really helps me in what to look for.

SLITS
The specification is when the clutch is adjusted "correctly", you can pull back on the clutch pedal 3/4" ... yep, that means towards you the driver.

I adjust mine to where I want the clutch to engage.
malcolm2
Mine had spacers and a nyloc nut from my PO. The 1st two nuts are large and did not thread on. I posted this picture several months back and got lots of discussion about using the nylok nut. So don't use one! KMA.gif

I have since found suitable jam nuts, but still used 1 spacer nut. smoke.gif

Note that the cable fitting has a square section. Use a wrench to hold that once you get the jam nuts loose.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
7TPorsh
Why is this so shiny and clean...something wrong here
Elliot Cannon
I use a large "wing" nut and safety it with a tie wrap.
SLITS
I use nyloc nutz!
SirAndy
QUOTE(Kaduku @ Oct 3 2013, 09:16 AM) *
First of all, the search function on this forum SUCK! I get better results Googling "Porsche 914 World" with whatever I am looking for.

You did read the directions for the search, no?
poke.gif

And if Google is so much better to search this site then why are you still asking?
Shouldn't Google have found what you were looking for?
confused24.gif
biosurfer1
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 3 2013, 01:49 PM) *

QUOTE(Kaduku @ Oct 3 2013, 09:16 AM) *
First of all, the search function on this forum SUCK! I get better results Googling "Porsche 914 World" with whatever I am looking for.

You did read the directions for the search, no?
poke.gif

And if Google is so much better to search this site then why are you still asking?
Shouldn't Google have found what you were looking for?
confused24.gif

+1. It's not the search that sucks, it's the user. Took me 2 seconds to search "clutch adjustment" and found this (which was the 3rd result):
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...utch+adjustment

I doubt you'll find a better expert than Dr. Evil...he even drew pictures!
76-914
It's difficult for me to use anything made after 1985. blink.gif
914_teener
Hey.....he used one of Marks boots on the cable.....good idea.....is that kosher?

Pat Garvey...please weigh in.
Kaduku
Thanks to those that gave great, productive tips and suggestions, especially for your time to post pictures for me.

And BTW, I chose not to comment on a couple of replies.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Kaduku @ Oct 3 2013, 05:38 PM) *

Thanks to those that gave great, productive tips and suggestions, especially for your time to post pictures for me.

There are many people on this forum who know this car very well and are interested in helping you. biggrin.gif But if you start your post criticizing this forum by claiming it SUCKS, or at least the search function, the people who work hard to develop and maintain it might be a bit offended. sad.gif Here's more advice. Don't get under the car if it's only held up with your jack. Use a good jack stand before crawling under. bye1.gif
Kaduku
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Oct 3 2013, 06:10 PM) *

There are many people on this forum who know this car very well and are interested in helping you. biggrin.gif But if you start your post criticizing this forum by claiming it SUCKS, or at least the search function, the people who work hard to develop and maintain it might be a bit offended. sad.gif Here's more advice. Don't get under the car if it's only held up with your jack. Use a good jack stand before crawling under. bye1.gif

Thanks for your advice. I did say I have two jack stands, plus I made sure I said the "search function", not the whole site. Please let's move on!
jim_hoyland
While you are in there; take a look at that wheel the clutch cable turns on. Dirt and grease work into the cable strands. The abrasion will cause the cable to break there..in due time.
I clean the wheel 2x a year
Kaduku
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Oct 3 2013, 06:37 PM) *

While you are in there; take a look at that wheel the clutch cable turns on. Dirt and grease work into the cable strands. The abrasion will cause the cable to break there..in due time.
I clean the wheel 2x a year

I'll check that out on the next day off. I did adjust the cable but I guess it wasn't enough.
Dave_Darling

There are members here who don't contribute an awful lot to technical discussions. We keep them around for entertainment value. wink.gif

--DD
SLITS
So sayth the Bird Man.
SirAndy
QUOTE(SLITS @ Oct 3 2013, 07:22 PM) *
So sayth the Bird Man.

Nevermore ...

IPB Image

malcolm2
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Oct 3 2013, 02:08 PM) *

Why is this so shiny and clean...something wrong here

Just installed. 10 years in a field and 3 on jacks.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Oct 3 2013, 07:00 PM) *

There are members here who don't contribute an awful lot to technical discussions. We keep them around for entertainment value. wink.gif

--DD

Hey! Lighten up on SLITS. He's not a dumb as he looks. happy11.gif av-943.gif He is fun to have around though. smoke.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 3 2013, 07:25 PM) *

So sayth the Bird Man.

Nevermore ...

IPB Image

"Sorrow for the lost Lenore". I visited his grave site once.
cpavlenko
? on part that the clutch pulley attaches to. What is the name of this part that connects to the trans. I hope I'm explaining this correctly.
worn
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Oct 3 2013, 09:55 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 3 2013, 07:25 PM) *

So sayth the Bird Man.

Nevermore ...

IPB Image

"Sorrow for the lost Lenore". I visited his grave site once.
won’t you please go to Baltimore and leave me where i’m lyin...
rhodyguy
Part that the clutch pulley attaches to? The "clutch cable roller bracket"? #25 on the exploded parts diagram. You should contact AA and request a FREE paper catalog. Identifying parts correctly takes seconds, you have part #s at your fingertips and you don't even need the Internet.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.