Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 trailer? Ad a hitch to my new ride?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JRust
Okay so I have my 914 trailer. Be nice to be able to pull it behind my new Suby914 conversion. The paint is beautiful. Anybody have a good bolt on solution. I am not going to screw up my paint to do it. Worst case I will let Drew buy my trailer & not worry about it. I would like to be able to use it if possible. Any ideas on mounting options?

I though about making a plate that mounted between the tranny & the mounts. Then drilling a couple holes in the back below the bumper or behind it? Obviously it needs to be solid & secure. If it won't be I won't bother confused24.gif

Then the next question will be what color do I paint the trailer. It's white now idea.gif
914forme
Ha I had this For Sale, but it would require a bit of modification to work. with the subbie.

It had a set of flats that run down behind the bumper, and then angles that pickup the hitch its self. I have a set of angles in the trunk, that sandwich the flats and transfer loads to the floor and the rear wall. The hitch itself, mounts on the tangles ,and runs back to the transmission exhaust hanger. The plate there is left behind to support the Tangerine racing exhaust which is now long gone. It allows the trans to move via the hemi Joint. It has worked like a champ for 8 years now. I used to think I'll take it off at the track, never did. I do un pin the ball though, that part is pretty heavy. If you have a muffle back there it will not work, with out careful look for interference.

I used the Andycam to take these.
GaroldShaffer
I have a hidden hitch behind my bumper. It is welded into the trunk. I used it to tow my AX trailer.

914forme
Are those Centerline 5x130s your rolling on with that trailer?!?!?!?

Im in need, like an addict, we also need to talk about a certain piece of sculptured tubes you have in your shop poke.gif
green914
Cool looking trailer smile.gif
Van914
Garold
I see you still have the wheels.
Van914
JRust
Yeah Gerold I did that with my v8 car in the pics. Works great but I'm not about to mess with my paint. I think I could get by with using the tranny mounts. Have a bar coming off the plate from those to the rear wall where they meet a plate the hitch is on. That plate would have 2 nice bolts going through the body. Then for a little more structure a piece coming back to bolt to my drivetrain cradle. It is stout & would help make this a pretty rigid setup idea.gif . Not unlike yours Stephen. Might even be able to retrofit yours. I don't have the stock muffler setup to worry about getting in the way so that is nice
Mike Bellis
Mine is like Gerald's, just a little lower and I have a hinge-able plate. If you are going to paint the trailer, match the color. Then you have extra paint to touch up the inner trunk. You wont have to mess with any body panels.
jeeperjohn56
You can't have fun in your teener towing a trailer. Don't do it!! John
carr914
Mine was real simple - it was a piece of Angle Iron with a Flat Piece of Steel welded to it with a Hole in in it for the Hitch Ball. I bolted this through the Rear License Plate Wiring Holes with a backing plate on the other side.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
JRust
Here is what I have in mind. The first U shape will be made with 1 1/2" 3/16 Angle iron. I am going to sandwich it between my cradle & the tranny mounts. Just use longer bolts. Those come back close tot he rear wall where they will meet another piece of angle iron to tie the 2 together. The image with the blue piece is that angle iron. Then I'm going to run boxed 1" metal down to meet the hitch. The hitch will have another piece of angle iron welded to it. Which is what the boxed metal will attach too. Then I will have 2 more pieces of the boxed metal running back to tie into my cradle. Those will bolt on & should give me all the strength I need for such a light trailer. Also it will be a bolt on setup so I can take it off anytime. We'll see how it turns out. Hopefully this makes sense. It's a little tough to picture without seeing my cradle confused24.gif
914forme
That should work great.

Your loads will go back to the trans mounts and only thing you will need the backs for is the tongue weight. It works great, and is very non destructive to the car. Okay minor destruction to the car.

Now just need to paint and flare the trailer to match. Is it all ready flared, I can't tell in the white.
JRust
QUOTE(914forme @ Oct 9 2013, 01:02 PM) *

Now just need to paint and flare the trailer to match. Is it all ready flared, I can't tell in the white.

It is flared already. Paint it I will. Still kicking around ideas on that. I want to make a canopy setup for it. Thinking over different trailer ideas. I also am changing out the trailing arms for a 5x130 setup. So it will have fuchs on it too!
okieflyr
My chassis is a 76 and the car has a 1.8t conversion, so the custom NON-Porsche exhaust gave me room to use a leftover MR2 trailer hitch. It would be a little pricey to purchase now, but it's not difficult to make. The best part is it is completely hidden and NO body cutting is needed. The receiver runs vertically and the bar ends were modified to bolt to the bumper shock mounts. The drawbar reaches under the valance and back up to tag height for decent ball placement. The links will give pics of the hitch faster than I can get them from the car.

Vertical drawbar: https://www.etrailer.com/p-D-55007.html

Hitch:https://www.etrailer.com/hitch-1991_Toyota_MR2.html
sixnotfour
I wish I still had the H&H trailer hitch off my dads 914-6, it was way different than any of these designs, It went up to the front under the seats and had a support from the rear panel, like 3 or 4 holes..but always present..not a slip in..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.