Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rod Bearing Tang Orientation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Are the rods bearing ‘tangs’ supposed to be on the top or on the bottom of the rod?
I wonder if that makes any difference.
Thanks in advance
jimkelly
is there an indentation on top and bottom but only one tang per set?

IPB Image

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...3553&st=100
ask mrhyde
Stock rods, both tangs on same side. Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks
SLITS
That's the way they are intended to fit. The rod cap and the big end both have reliefs for the tang to locate the bearing. It won't make a difference whether the mating surfaces are up or down as long as the rod is installed correctly, and I don't remember if they are directional like some other engines are.

Once torqued into place, the big end of the rod places a "crush" on the shell to keep it where it is supposed to be.

The most important thing is that the rods were resized to the correct diameter and that the cap and rod were marked. The marks line up with each other as that is the way they were torqued before machining.
Slits...thanks for the education, I did line them up side to side ( numbered rod with same cap end) on same plane.

I ask because I remember some one posting on the bird site mentioning that years ago.
Jake Raby
This is why every build needs to be accompanied by my assembly video :-)
pilothyer
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Oct 5 2013, 05:49 PM) *

This is why every build needs to be accompanied by my assembly video :-)

Hello Jake.....Do you have a new rebuild video out ? The one I have is when you were just a youngster biggrin.gif

As surgeons generally go, their experience, knowledge base and wasteline gets bigger and better with age.

I would buy one in a heartbeat if it is available....really need to buy one on DVD just in case the old VHS finally dies.
Jake Raby
The video is 15 years old now... Though I've aged the assembly process for the T4 engine is still the same.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.