Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: just offered a new bike
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ruddyboys
A friend has a Honda CM450 he needs to get rid of. The bike was sitting around for about a year, he got it from another friend and drove it around for 2 years. Is this bike worth fixing up?
Root_Werks
Pic's? Street or dirt bike? 4cyl? Honda's are good bikes. Depends on what it is, but usually not worth fixing up as you can get bikes for really cheap.
seanery
hondamatic?
ruddyboys
Street bike, not sure of what shape its in, I know its been sitting outside for about a year.
Root_Werks
Pass man. I picked up my daily rider for $700 with 14k miles on it. 650/4cyl twin overhead cam 10k rpm redline. Very nice bike. They are cheap. Even if free, it would cost far more to get it road worthy. If it ran, I would grab it and put it on the street for $100 and see if it got any takers.
soloracer
Does it have V-TEC? Cause if it does it'll be crazy fast and worth at least $30,000, yo! rolleyes.gif
Mueller
i'd grab it and make a go-kart !!!!!
larryp
First bike I ever owned was a CM400T. Same thing as that, but with 32 fewer CCs. It has a single front disk, a drum rear, it is SMALL, a two-level seat, Honda ComStar wheels, etc. I paid 1200 for it brand spanking new.

If you ride already, then you don't want it. If you are learning to ride (and don't, by the way; I tell everyone that so unless they are compelled to ride they walk away), you still don't want it.

As mentioned, it will make a nice kart. But that's it. 20 year old brake lines, 20 year old seals and rubber, crap clutch, no power, bad forks, a clapped out shock. Oh, and a solid chain. Pass.

If it was PERFECT it is still a piece of poo. "Fixing up"? Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!
skline
Jeesh, you guys are brutal, I could just imagine what you would say about a 914 if you didnt own one.
larryp
Shit, if someone asked me about buying a 914 I'd probably tell them to buy an Elise instead.

If you do it all yourself, a chain and sprokets will be 100. Fork seals will be 80. Brakes will be 60, flex lines another 40. the shock is NLA but the rebuild will be 200. The seat cover will be 40. Tires will be 120, a clutch 100 and the battery 60. A good tune is 50. Hopefully the tank is not rusted out. That's $850 in parts on a bike that is worth, on a good day, $300.

Come to think of it, that's pretty much the ratio of parts:value on my 914 too.
914werke
PASS blink.gif
Its not worth it, they are underpowered for all but a beginner, really low seat ht make it a favorite of the MSF schools.
smile.gif
Andyrew
Mike, that was my idea....

I want to get a 100hp honda bike engine and make a go kart...

I have crazy idea's as well... Im just not as vocal... (lol)

Andrew

biggrin.gif
redshift
QUOTE(soloracer @ Dec 17 2004, 06:43 PM)
Does it have V-TEC? Cause if it does it'll be crazy fast and worth at least $30,000, yo! rolleyes.gif

F N HILARIOUS

m
Mr.C
You could always put the engine into one of these:
http://www.edge.au.com/
Mueller
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Dec 18 2004, 02:17 AM)

Andrew

biggrin.gif

100hp is a "little" overkill smile.gif .....25hp would be just fine.....finding a place to run it would be the problem
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Mueller @ Dec 18 2004, 11:48 AM)
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Dec 18 2004, 02:17 AM)

Andrew

biggrin.gif

100hp is a "little" overkill smile.gif .....25hp would be just fine.....finding a place to run it would be the problem

i agree... 100hp in a 300lb car?

youd run out of real estate before you ran out of car ohmy.gif
914werke
What.. wacko.gif 2 of my bikes make OVER 100hp and not one exceeds 400lbs! I dont seem to have any problems with available road ?
BTW the CM only makes about 40 <_<
F4i
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Dec 18 2004, 03:02 PM)
What.. wacko.gif 2 of my bikes make OVER 100hp and not one exceeds 400lbs! I dont seem to have any problems with available road ?
BTW the CM only makes about 40 dry.gif

They mean on a go cart track. I ran my cbr on a big one and had "lots" of power.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.