Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Leather vs. vinyl on original 914-6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
R8CERX
So, I am planning in working on improving some minor vinyl tears in my six.

I may have the option to put a nice black color German hide/leather into the six, but I would think that this may affect the current originality of my car

Or

Is this an improvement?

Would I be wasting my time and money going in wrong direction away from original?

I welcome your professional feedback..... confused24.gif
popcorn[1].gif
ConeDodger
If you're close to original, stay that way...
Cairo94507
My Six had its interior redone in black leather before I owned it and I like it. When the car goes back together I intend to have it redone as necessary in black leather. I will ask they match it as close as possible to the factory look, but I do think leather is an improvement and will be more comfortable when driven.

But then again I am dropping a stock 3.2 in it with my transaxle converted to a side shifter too.
carr914
"What Would Woody Do?"

Click to view attachment

mepstein
Buy a used interior, get it recovered in leather and save your origional for the future, Used sets go cheap and nobody said you can't use one and keep the origional in storage. Or, buy the fiberglass replacements so the leather won't be put over old, smelly foam and fiberboard.
R8CERX
Interesting consensus thus far......

Woody option.....NEGATIVE

blink.gif
Jgilliam914
Your car isn't original and numbers matching so my vote is do it the way you want it!!
914werke
WOW! Thats Groovy!
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Jgilliam914 @ Oct 5 2013, 10:56 AM) *

Your car isn't original and numbers matching so my vote is do it the way you want it!!

agree.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(carr914 @ Oct 5 2013, 08:24 AM) *

"What Would Woody Do?"

Click to view attachment

I would totally do that! wub.gif
bulitt
Hippie laugh.gif
R8CERX
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Oct 5 2013, 03:53 PM) *

QUOTE(Jgilliam914 @ Oct 5 2013, 10:56 AM) *

agree.gif

Interesting feedback from the peanut gallery.... dream on....

finger.gif

NEXT....!
McMark
If you ever go to sell it, I expect the leather would be worth less. But build what makes you happy.
carr914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Oct 5 2013, 09:12 PM) *

QUOTE(carr914 @ Oct 5 2013, 08:24 AM) *

"What Would Woody Do?"

Click to view attachment

I would totally do that! wub.gif

Porsche would too - that is Original 916
Johny Blackstain
WTF.gif
PanelBilly
QUOTE(carr914 @ Oct 5 2013, 06:24 AM) *

"What Would Woody Do?"

Click to view attachment

I love it!
Nine_14
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 5 2013, 03:54 PM) *

Buy a used interior, get it recovered in leather and save your origional for the future, Used sets go cheap and nobody said you can't use one and keep the origional in storage. Or, buy the fiberglass replacements so the leather won't be put over old, smelly foam and fiberboard.

agree.gif

It is a good argument anyway if you want to sell the car later. "I have all stock part" stored.
R8CERX
I appreciate the positive feedback!

I also agree on keeping the vinyl... Just was tempted by the smell of nice German leather....

beerchug.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(R8CERX @ Oct 6 2013, 12:43 PM) *

I appreciate the positive feedback!

I also agree on keeping the vinyl... Just was tempted by the smell of nice German leather....

beerchug.gif

Oh,BTW: I have $ 3000.00 in my seats. Ya, just the seats. Their beautiful but ...screwy.gif

Done in Leather. The drivers side seat bolster has the black color worn off from my left thigh and from climbing in and out. Vinyl would not have done this. dry.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.