Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rear view mirror options
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
shuie
My stock rear view mirror is gone. The mount is still there, but the mirror is long gone. Is anyone using something like the large convex mirror that JEGS & Summit sell? How did you mount it? Is there another option (not a wink mirror) that provides good rear/side visibility that I can use instead of the stock unit?

TIA
rhodyguy
used to be someone was selling modified bmw mirrors that installed @/replaced the center pivot mount for the visors. dr evil iirc. like the early 914s. i have one of the bmw units in the 73'.

shoguneagle
check suppliers on www.914world.com, and may also be found on EBay under 914 parts. I, also, have one of these. I did not like the original mirror so I replaced it with the "wink mirror" which is the one you refer to as "large convex mirror". It consists of five individual mirrors each at differing angles so the driver can see really good behind him. Draw back is the mirror is very close to your head and bumping it becomes a common occurrence.

How attached? Local modifications from each of the outside visor attaching points, or whatever you come up with.

Hope this helps.

Steve
Elliot Cannon
I like my wink mirror. I have never bumped into it. It provides a huge field of view and increases (IMHO) safety. The modified BMW mirror is also a good choice and is what I used for years before I mounted the wink mirror.
mrbubblehead
i am using the bmw mirrors in both 914's.
shoguneagle
EBay search: Porsche 914 rear mirrors

listing found: Porsche 914 Interior rear view mirror BMW conversion
Price: $54.95
Visors: Has tabs for visors to pivot

Agree: Wink mirrors are probably the best for viewing, but I did hit my
head; after all I am full of old age, stiffness, and constantly
move around for flexibility. Just one of the problems of enjoying
the 914.

Main thing: Get what you need and can use where you do most of your
driving. I used my Wink mirror driving all those years (40 plus
of them) in the Bay Area and would not use any other mirror including constantly bumping my head. Driving in Flagstaff, AZ and Grants Pass, OR does not require as much of the multi-field vision and I replaced it with the 914 modified BMW version.

Steve
Kraftwerk
How is the 'wink' mirror at night, with bright headlights behind, does it have night setting?
jim_hoyland
I'll second the wink mirror. Your field of vision is increased without having to turn your head. A quick glance upward allows you see what is coming from behind including the driver and passenger sides. Downside can be vibration; I made a bracket to hold the middle of the mirror steady.

I liked the Dr Evil BMW style mirror and used it for several years. A good choice

The 5 panel wink mirrors are readily available and reasonably priced
JawjaPorsche
Here is the link to the BMW mirror. I bought it when I installed my new windshield last fall. I really like it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-914-interi...63e&vxp=mtr
76-914
2nd the Beemer mirror. I think "Mack" did mine. The best part is that the Targa bar disappeared from the mirror view for the most part because they hang a bit lower.
mepstein
I forgot about the bmw mirror coversion. Thanks!
vw505
does anyone know what year BMW ?
7TPorsh
+1 on Mack's BMW conversion. Luv it. Visors are useable and clear the mirror.
vw505
Aside from Ebay were can I get one? PM me or pst here. Thank you
shuie
I contacted Mack through eBay and bought one of the BMW mirrors. I havent installed it yet, but it really looks like a nice solution
andys
I installed the BMW mirror from the Ebay seller. Two things that annoy me: A slight vibration, and the mirror is adjusted to its limit (upward), and I still have to dip my head a little to see behind me. I'm 5'9", so a taller driver would definately have trouble with rear vision.

Andys
mrbubblehead
i am 6'3" i dont have any problem that i have noticed.....
ruby914
QUOTE(Kraftwerk @ Oct 5 2013, 11:39 AM) *

How is the 'wink' mirror at night, with bright headlights behind, does it have night setting?

I never had a problem.
76-914
QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Oct 24 2013, 04:00 PM) *

i am 6'3" i dont have any problem that i have noticed.....

agree.gif 6'0" here.
mikesmith
QUOTE(andys @ Oct 24 2013, 03:12 PM) *

I installed the BMW mirror from the Ebay seller. Two things that annoy me: A slight vibration, and the mirror is adjusted to its limit (upward), and I still have to dip my head a little to see behind me. I'm 5'9", so a taller driver would definately have trouble with rear vision.

Try flipping the 'dip' toggle to the other position and see if that helps. (apologies if you've tried this already...)

= Mike
rfuerst911sc
I have the BMW mirror in mine I'm 5 ' 10 " and no problems I am using stock seats if that matters.
larryM
i have the bmw mirror from a long ago GB here on world - love it

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.