Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: new teener here
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
AfricanHijinx
Hey guys I just picked up a 76 2.0 and I have a question about shifting. My car grinds 1st and 2nd gears, but the rest of the gears are just fine. How do I make this right? thanks
Elliot Cannon
The first thing you might do is get one of these and look up clutch adjustment. This book along with all the experts on this forum will be a big help. welcome.png http://www.haynes.com/products/productID/457
r_towle
"Experts" av-943.gif

welcome.png
timothy_nd28
I 2nd the clutch cable adjustment welcome.png
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(r_towle @ Oct 5 2013, 07:40 PM) *

"Experts" av-943.gif

welcome.png

With the exception of you and I. av-943.gif
AfricanHijinx
thanks guys
NORD

If you throw a BBQ and supply all the burgers and beer, you will get a lot of help

welcome.png
Dr Evil
Clutch adjust, all shift bushings, then hope that works or you have to open the box.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 5 2013, 08:30 PM) *

Clutch adjust, all shift bushings, then hope that works or you have to open the box.

agree.gif OK, this is one of the experts I was referring to.
messix
welcome.png

another north ender !!!!!
76-914
Does it grind going into reverse, also? If your curious, interested or "just always wanted to", I would Highly suggest you spend $50 on Dr Evil's "How to Rebuild" your transmission video. A novice can rebuild one in one or two evenings.
Mr.242
welcome.png

Another PNW Teener! grouphug.gif

Where did you pick up the 2.0? Was it one off of Craigslist? Need pics.
rick 918-S
I second clutch cable adjustment and the shift bushings. The release bearing is supposed to ride against the pressure plate unlike American hot rods that want you to leave an air gap. If your bushings on the shift rods are worn or cracked and missing you will never get it to shift. If left unattended this will lead to internal transaxle damage. Check the member vendor section here in this forum for Dr. Evil's transmission rebuild video if the problem exists after you have check all the external issues.

welcome.png
AfricanHijinx
I found it on craigslist last month and went to the tri cites to go pick it up. I have been wanting a 914 for 2 years when I first saw one at a air cooled vw meet. It has some passenger side floor pan that will need to be replaced, in the spring. it only grinds when you put it in reverse or 1st, I will try to get the car up on some ramps today after the Hawks beat the colts
Dr Evil
Grind in reverse = clutch not fully disengaging. This either means that the cable is too loose, or that the tube in the tunnel has broken free.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.