Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transmission Fluid
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
martinef1963
I drained my transmission oil a long, long time ago and now am getting to want to fill'er up again.

However, there is not a lot of room - is there a "member" in the forum that has mastered / perfected the art of filling the transmission easily - without wasting half of good Swepco Transmission oil on the garage floor?

thanks,

Fern
jimkelly
the container the GL5 gear oil comes in has a nozzle at top and goes right into the top fill port of the trans. fill till a little starts to drip out of trans.
Dave_Darling
I bought a pump at my FLAPS (Friendly Local Auto Parts Store) that screws onto the top of the Swepco bottle. Put the tube from the pump into the trans, and pump away. It takes a while, but it will fill the transmission.

BTW, it's best if you fill your transmission while the car is level. I learned that one the hard way--fortunately on my Honda...

--DD
MartyYeoman
I use a small funnel connected to a length of clear tubing. I run the tube out the wheelwell and support it on a short stepstool. I fill the funnel until it just drips from the fill hole. Very little waste or mess. I let gravity do all the work.
Marty
914forme
Thats easy, build on of these, I did a lot of trans / gear fluid changes in the last year. This by far was my best investment ever for this job.

Homemade gear oil pump
JawjaPorsche
The gear oil that comes a container with a nozzle at top and goes right into the top fill port of the tranny is not hard to do. What I do is position the container near the hole before removing the cap and stick it in immediately in the hole. (That sounds dirty!) I squeeze and resqueeze the container until empty. I thought I was going to make a mess and have gear oil waste but there is very little mess.

Note: You need to have the car level. In fact, I can do it without jacking up the car. There is enough room from the rear of the 914 to fill it from.

I usually put my flat waste oil change catcher under the tranny to catch drips but an old rag will do or just use a piece of cardboard.
TheCabinetmaker
Cut half the spout off those quart bottles. The fluid will flow more freely. Most say swepco is not good for our transmissions.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.