Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pics from PNWR Autox
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DNHunt
Great turn out, lots of 914's pointing forward most of the time. Everyone got some time on a dry track but there was some rain and it got pretty cold ( looking on the bright side, good for making horsepower ). A few of our guys had some trouble getting it on the track. Still they were better men than me, I sat it out in the infield. Kudo's to my son, he took all the pictures.

Here's ChrisReale with a clean run
DNHunt
Here's a fellow by the name of Chris Downey. Nice fast car
DNHunt
Blair_RacerBoy
Bleyseng
Chris Downings car is powered by a hot 1.7l. I think took 2nd place in GTU today.
What year is that orange car Blair is driving?? haha tongue.gif
Geoff
DNHunt
Eric Frye's /6
DNHunt
Somebody's grey 914
DNHunt
Someone we called purple guy (with purple seats). Give it time it grows on you.
DNHunt
rdauenhauer pointed the right way.
Qarl
All these 914s are colored like a package of Skittles candy!

I'm hungry!
DNHunt
Rich pointed the wrong way. Quoting Geoff (Bleyseng) "Ask Brad to comment on this line". Too bad Geoff was pointed the same way a few minutes later. So, Brad fire away. We also have a quicktime clip of Rich's navigation problem but, I don't have a clue how to post it as it ia 4.75 MB.
DNHunt
Bleyseng going the right way.
Bleyseng
#61 is Tim Kornimekis stock 914 2.0L. It used to be yellow. He has won the stock class for 2 years in a row, killin all those new fangled Porsches with his 30 old car!
Go Tim! His wife drives too and is faster than Tim.

We were callin the purple car Grimmace, after the McDonalds character.Car has straight pipes and sounds awful but is pretty fast.
Hey I only spun once today when I was really pushing it in third gear.
Geoff
DNHunt
The only guy that was off more than Rich. (I expect payback to be dear when I get my chance next year.
Bleyseng
The black car was a woman, dude
Blair_RacerBoy
cool pics! i dont remember did you get a pic of me lifting the wheel? that would make a awsome backround. long day but definitly worth it since it finally didnt rain the whole time like last 2 events. driving.gif
Gint
Some nice cars. It's good to see 914's in motion instead of sitting on a trailer.

Looks like fun too. Must beat sanding.
Bleyseng
Or welding! tongue.gif

I still have a spot to repair at the base of the sail on the drivers side.
Geoff
Gint
Sounds familiar.

I still have a spot to repair at the base of the sail on the drivers side.

Coincidentally I was sanding that very spot today.
ChrisReale
Thanks for the pics. It was a fun day, but having the rain start RIGHT when GT started was a bummer (typical also) It dried out nicely. Where is the other pic of me making a hard turn? I want to show it to my girlfriend and try to explain why I get up at 6:30 on a Saturday and stand around all day! boldblue.gif
seanery
Dave,

If no one else offers, email the quicktime to me @ SBLSean@aol.com and I'll post it tomorrow when I get home from the 500.
Brad Roberts
Geoff,

Was that a right hand corner you where making ?? It looks like the car has ton of POSITIVE camber in it (in that pic at least)

The guy in the yellow 914 rdeahauere (or something like that) needs to check his door handles for scrapes... WHOA.. lotso body roll.. LOL At least he was turning into the spin.

B
Brad Roberts
I think its great to see all of you out there running your 914's.

B
rhodyguy
it's not like the 14's were the only cars that pulled a rockford. it was funny, everybodys necks must have been sore from looking up at the sky, watching the clouds build. it started to spinkle JUST as their grid lined up. the bracket racing mustang w/ the skinny front tires was too much. me? i'm just waiting on a seal.

kevin
Lawrence
Looks like a great time... I really need to find a group to autocross with this summer.

-Rusty
rhodyguy
rusty, transfer to ft lewis. you'll find lots of 914 running buddies. i live about 8 miles from the fort, close enough to hear cannon fire on the odd day, really good diving up here too. better yet, get tdy assigned to the cg homeland security unit, port security, and collect that extra pay.

kevin
Bleyseng
Brad, I still have to get the car aligned. Maybe that will help. Get a email from Jason yet?
DNHunt
Chris here is the other picture we have of you. Blair I don't have any pictures with your wheel up
Bleyseng
JP, parts of the track are rough but if you go fast you don't notice them. I was in 3rd gear alot yesterday going uphill. They run the course usually uphill sad.gif which slows down the 914's. Maybe next they will run it downhill for us! biggrin.gif
I track was pretty dry so the Kuhmos finally showed me how they can bite the track. That was fun!
Geoff
rhodyguy
yep, BLAIR really put the test on them laugh.gif

kevin
Bleyseng
Yeah, he ran a 61, best I could do was a 64sec. He also runs the car on other weekends so he gets alittle more seat time. He feels the "tire lifting" is hurting time because it means the car is not flat. Hmm, bigger rear springs now. I got 180 Weltmeitsers in there now. Guess I better work more weekends to pay for this stuff.
Geoff
ChrisReale
Geoff, nort sure bigger rear springs would do the trick. My thinking is to look at JP's suspension. He has 180 rear and 21mm front torsions. That makes basically the same rate front and rear. Even he was lifting a front wheel a little. IIRC, you had the front sway on full hard right? Try putting it in the middle, or just past middle towards harder. Thats where I have mine, and I was lifting just barely.

Chris Downing has 22mm sway, 22mm torsion and 225# rear springs and Koni Yellows. His car lifts the front inner tire a bit as well. I am bef=gining to think its the nature of the beast.
J P Stein
I hear you guys met Jim Daniels and his CSP Maita.... ran a 53 ..I hear tell.

Brad brought up a gud point that I hadn't thought of....the 180 lb springs being progressive...at least, mine are. Humm....anybody got some 200lbers F/S?

My bar is set in the middle and I'm still waving to the crowd.
ChrisReale
Yea, there were a few trick Miata's there. Kicked some butt. I wasn't aware that the 180's were progressive. If they are, that sucks.
Bleyseng
Chris D. wasn't lifting near as much. I had it in the middle the last time I raced. I suppose I could stick the shocks on hard.
Dave Ellison fools with his adjustable Konis inbetween each run, seems like that is chasing your tail.

Blair was pushing the car real hard when it was lifting. I pushed the car as hard as I could and spun it because it started to understeer alot more. I spun because it understeered and I blew the corner then I snapped the wheel around cuz it was done anyway.

What role does the shock setting have on suspension tuning?
Should I go to Koni sports all around?$$$
I guess I am in the market for 225lb rear springs too JP.

On the street the car is nicely balanced. On the track I "think" its understeering.

Geoff
J P Stein
If it's understeering....and it prolly is with the AR bar set full hard, back the AR bar off some....to about half way.

Sure, get some Koni Sports....it'll ride like an empty dump truck....but we're racers, right?....." I paid a lot of money for this?" biggrin.gif

Simply put, the shock's job is to keep the tire on the ground. The better job it does of keeping the tire "weighted" the faster one can go....even if it's on 3 wheels. biggrin.gif On a billiard table smooth surface it don't do much, but as things get rough or even semi-smooth it comes into its own.
Race teams spend lotso bucks on shocks to get the spring/shock combo balanced. REALLY good shocks are REALLY expensive.....remote reservoir, adjustable in jounce and rebound $$$...outta my league.

I'm afraid there is no midddle ground. One can be a hot dog AXer, but not have a decent ride on the street. My "new improved" Hoosiers have made mine pretty near intollerable on the street.....I think I'll get some stiffer springs. wacko.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.