Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Racing Crashes - 10-5&6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
carr914
Injuries but everyone is OK

1st - ALMS - The Paul Miller/Chopard 911 GT gets together with Cisneros in a 911 GTC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ys46Zi95_8k

2nd - IndyCar - Sato gets loose in front of Dario Franchetti, Viso slams into Sato, Debris & Fencing go into the Crowd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ3vw79o6n4

Any Thoughts?
mepstein
I don't know who it was standing at the corner near the gazebo but if it was me, I would have ducked.
ripper911
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 7 2013, 09:21 AM) *

I don't know who it was standing at the corner near the gazebo but if it was me, I would have ducked.

In one of the angles there was a woman standing with her back to the track looking down at her phone, she didn't move until the impact, A close-up of her face would have been priceless.

It was amazing that the car managed to flip like that and land right on top of the tirewall. The driver was lucky to have such a well built car, and hopefully a change of undies.
6freak
guy in the white and black 911 should be ban from racing for a year with a move like that ...seems he just flat forced the other guy off at a very fast portion of the track ...very lucky no one was hurt
smile.gif

Dario`s crash was just racing..
carr914
QUOTE(6freak @ Oct 7 2013, 09:44 AM) *

guy in the white and black 911 should be ban from racing for a year with a move like that ...seems he just flat forced the other guy off at a very fast portion of the track ...very lucky no one was hurt
smile.gif

Unfortunately, that happened a lot in this race! ViR is a Great Track, but is narrow. When you throw 5 Classes of Cars out on a Track (that is not up to the task) at the same time, you are going to have problems!

The was a Big Uproar when next year's United SportsCar schedule came out and Lime Rock wasn't on it. But, the Fact is, Lime Rock is a very short Track and you can't throw 60 Cars out there at a time!
carr914
QUOTE(ripper911 @ Oct 7 2013, 09:25 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 7 2013, 09:21 AM) *

In one of the angles there was a woman standing with her back to the track looking down at her phone, she didn't move until the impact

I don't think that was a Phone, more likely her Radio Communicator. Professional Corner Workers have at least 3 People at a Station (1 looking up Track, 1 looking back Track, 1 Flagger)

The Camera Guy is the one that amazes me - he stayed on the Camera when the Chopard car hit right in front of him and then he got that ole belly moving!
carr914
On the IndyCar deal, IndyCar should be be Embarressed for the last 2 events. Both Baltimore & Houston were the Bumpiest Tracks I have ever seen! Then you throw in Catch Fencing that was not up to the problem (a Huge Section went into the Stands). The Houston Track was put together in 4 Days and even then they had to come back & grind down the surface. The Drivers were going AROUND a huge bump/launch pad. Racing should Not resemble a Joie Chitwood Thrill Show!

I understand Racing wanting to be in the 4th largest Market (Houston) & the Washington DC/Baltimore area, but they need to be better prepared.
ripper911
QUOTE(carr914 @ Oct 7 2013, 09:57 AM) *

QUOTE(ripper911 @ Oct 7 2013, 09:25 AM) *

In one of the angles there was a woman standing with her back to the track looking down at her phone, she didn't move until the impact

I don't think that was a Phone, more likely her Radio Communicator. Professional Corner Workers have at least 3 People at a Station (1 looking up Track, 1 looking back Track, 1 Flagger)

I didn't think about that. It would be quite unprofessional to be playing on the phone at that time, It just looked like she was in the phone zombie position...

That cameraman getting the shot of the one landing right next to him after the first one crashed by probably took a little break after that! I know I would have! beer3.gif
ThePaintedMan
Didn't see the Indycar race, but I watched the ALMS race live.

First, it looks like Marco Holzer in the Chaparral black and white Porsche is at fault. But what I see is that Eduardo Cisneros (brother of Enrique) should have moved over by that point in the straight. At some point Holzer had to be able to get some kind of an entry into the esses other than straight lining it. It should be noted that was Eduardo's first ALMS race though, and I think first at VIR. So he may very well not have even known that he was alongside, or that he needed to give him some room for Holzer to even have at shot at hitting the first apex.

Regarding the corner workers - that is a perfect example of what complacency does to people who have been flagging for awhile. The ideal situation is to have two people who are almost side by side, but staggered a little, with the one further "back" watching the oncoming traffic, and the one further forward watching towards the next turn, as well as a third person on the radio. They should be within arms reach of one another. In the case where an imminent collision is going to happen at or near the flagging stand, the person watching oncoming traffic then GRABS that person in front of them and MOVES them away from danger. I think that girl was watching down the track as she should, but was not in a position where anyone could alert her or move her away from danger. You can see the radio person trying to shout at her, but she doesn't hear them.

I was flagging a little over a year ago at Sebring on the club course and the other person with me kept moving out of my arms reach. Finally a car indeed did come spinning our way, and I had to run over and grab him. Those are wasted split seconds that could make a difference.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.