Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Exhaust and Muffler Temperture?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bandjoey
I'm repainting the exhaust pipes, heat box, and stock banana muffler. The high temp shows motor paint up to 550degrees, and header paint up to 1200. How hot do these parts get? Is the original factory color a dark gray? What color most closely matches stock?
Thanks for the info.
JimN73
I used Rustoleum grill paint on a Bursch muffler about 3 years ago. It's holding up well.
JawjaPorsche
QUOTE(JimN73 @ Oct 7 2013, 01:31 PM) *

I used Rustoleum grill paint on a Bursch muffler about 3 years ago. It's holding up well.

agree.gif

Don't know about stock colors but Rustoleum High Heat is the way to go for your muffler.
bandjoey
Thanks. Never looked Rustoleum. Will check it out.
Recommended color anyone?
JawjaPorsche
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Oct 7 2013, 04:24 PM) *

Thanks. Never looked Rustoleum. Will check it out.
Recommended color anyone?

I got my paint from Home Depot and they only had only one color: The standard BBQ grill black. Not shinny but not flat.
Java2570
VHT has a paint called Flameproof that is supposed to be comparable to the Rustoleum paint. The VHT
is available in some other colors like gray, white, etc....all flat.
I haven't tried this but I did use a lot of their engine enamel and it was available at my FLAPS.
dcheek
I use VHT (stands for Very High Temperature) flat gray #SP-104 flameproof coating. Sold in 11 oz. rattle cans. You cure it by running the engine to heat up the muffler. Lasts okay but nothing beats ceramic coating. Of course this option is quite expensive.

Dave
rnellums
If you want a stock look, grab some zinc paint (I think it is available at farm supply stores), its 93% solid zinc or so, but the durability isn't the best. I used that on my muffler three years ago and it still looks good.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.