Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Getting the stink out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
boxsterfan
74 2.0L.....

What can be done to get the grungy, moldy smell out of the interior? I assume that a lot of the smell is built up in the carpet and/or the padding inside the seats and backpads.

mepstein
ozone generator kills the smell.
Spoke
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 8 2013, 11:30 PM) *

What is an ozone generator? Like an anti-gravity or perpetual motion machine?
'73-914kid
Part of that it the "old German car smell" but you might give a large box of baking soda a try. Roll the windows up, close off the air vents, and place the box, open, in the car. They even sell a box with a mesh screen specifically for deoderizing..

If it really is a bad smell, remove all the carpet, and clean it with a carpet cleaning solution, remove the seats, scrub them with a non-oil/silicone based vinyl cleaner (NO Armour ALL!!)

Not sure one the particle board behind the door panels, and the back pad.. but I'd start with the carpet, and maybe try simple green on a rag on the floorboards underneath the carpet.

I've been through all of this with my car..it smelled like wet dog.. It can be removed little by little..
boxsterfan
QUOTE('73-914kid @ Oct 8 2013, 08:35 PM) *

Part of that it the "old German car smell" but you might give a large box of baking soda a try. Roll the windows up, close off the air vents, and place the box, open, in the car. They even sell a box with a mesh screen specifically for deoderizing..

If it really is a bad smell, remove all the carpet, and clean it with a carpet cleaning solution, remove the seats, scrub them with a non-oil/silicone based vinyl cleaner (NO Armour ALL!!)

Not sure one the particle board behind the door panels, and the back pad.. but I'd start with the carpet, and maybe try simple green on a rag on the floorboards underneath the carpet.

I've been through all of this with my car..it smelled like wet dog.. It can be removed little by little..

Thanks. I think I'll start with some baking soda. What's a non-oil/silicone vinyl cleaner (brand)? I'll have to pull the backpad and see if it stinks.

I guess owning a Porsche stinks. Woe is me... sunglasses.gif
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Spoke @ Oct 8 2013, 08:34 PM) *

It is an electronic device that creates ozone. The ozone in part will bond with a fragrance molecule and make it inert. Thus eliminating smell.

There are some farmers that use the technology frequently... smoke.gif
'73-914kid
Aren't O^3 generators in the range of like $500? It would work perfectly though....hmm..

I've used the Einszett Plastic Vinyl deep cleaner with lots of success..
Einszett Products

It's the best product I've found, and then any FLAPS should sell a basic carpet shampoo.. Should do well, and you'll probably be surprised how much crap is in the carpet..
mepstein
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Oct 8 2013, 11:46 PM) *

QUOTE(Spoke @ Oct 8 2013, 08:34 PM) *

It is an electronic device that creates ozone. The ozone in part will bond with a fragrance molecule and make it inert. Thus eliminating smell.

There are some farmers that use the technology frequently... smoke.gif

I used it when I sold real estate to get rid of moldy basement, cigarette, animal smell. I still have one and have used it to get rid of moldy car smell very succesfully. My unit was ~$450 but there are smaller ones available for less.

First step is to remove the interior from the car. Clean the inside of the car. I put all the carpet into my washing machine on gentle and layed flat with something pressing flat on top. Clean seats, door panels and backpad out of the car. Set in sun to dry. Make sure there are no mouse nests under dash (there were in mine and the car looked pristine).

If you don't buy an ozone unit, try to rent one. they work great. Re- install all the upolstery in the car. Place the generator in the car with the windows cracked and let it run for a couple hours. Air out car. Repeat if needed. Gets into the foam and vinyl and nooks and cranies and kills the smell.
bandjoey
Moth balls?
r_towle
Pull out the carpets and pressure wash them,
Remove the seats and let them bake in the sunshine for a few days.
Remove the backpad and clean it front and back.

Rich
rhodyguy
for the vinyl try dr bronner's liquid soap. the peppermint version. after a vacuum when the interior is out wash the hard surfaces with it as well.

carpets. look for a company that does fine carpet cleaning. as in oriental style area rugs. take the whole set in. shouldn't be that expensive. surprising what comes out of a set that looks clean. no foul for some wear patina on 40 y.o. carpeting in my book.
Mblizzard
OK at the risk of opening up myself to a fire storm I am going to say this. There are a few ways to deal with smells, absorb them (baking soda), wash them out (any number of methods), cover them up (moth balls and spray treatments)' or degrade them (ozone).

When dealing with orders caused by organic materials degrading (food, mold, door panels, etc) it is rare that any one of the methods is completely effective when use alone. If you don't remove the food source of the bacteria or mold creating the odor then it will almost always return. The use of ozone is the most effective when used alone. It is a reactive compound that is harmful to molds and bacteria as well as reacting to degrade the gases that they emit. It is also harmful to rubber and vinyls but only with long term use. But if you have a moldy area that the ozone does not reach it will spread back through the car as the mold starts to grow again.

So I would say eliminate any sources of moisture in the car (yea I know that is not really possible in a 914) remove and clean your interior. Treat it with ozone while removed. Treat the car with ozone with the interior out any you will have the best chance for success.
boxsterfan
Excellent suggestions all around!! Thanks everybody!!

beerchug.gif
Jeffs9146
My car was littered with rat urin when I got it and it took me 3 months to get it all out! Now is smells clean and fresh!

I removed everything from the interior, motor, dash and gas tank areas. Then I pressure washed everything including the heater tubes with a mixture of water, bleach and 409. I then left the car out in the sun 89'+ for a few days to dry out!

Once that was done I began the 6 conversion so it sat for another 4 months before being driven.

All good now! piratenanner.gif

914forme
Rental places rent Ozone Generators for ~50 a day. Or you can get a small on for Evilbay for ~100. I have one of the EvilBay ones, works great. Though it might require a couple of rounds. Park the car outside in the sun, stick the generator, fire it up and let it run. BTW, you don't want to breath a lot of 03, so once done, open the doors and walk away from the car.
Mblizzard
QUOTE(914forme @ Oct 9 2013, 11:49 AM) *

Rental places rent Ozone Generators for ~50 a day. Or you can get a small on for Evilbay for ~100. I have one of the EvilBay ones, works great. Though it might require a couple of rounds. Park the car outside in the sun, stick the generator, fire it up and let it run. BTW, you don't want to breath a lot of 03, so once done, open the doors and walk away from the car.

Very good point! I should have mentioned that.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Oct 8 2013, 08:22 PM) *

74 2.0L.....

What can be done to get the grungy, moldy smell out of the interior? I assume that a lot of the smell is built up in the carpet and/or the padding inside the seats and backpads.

Don't let SLITS ride in your car. laugh.gif lol-2.gif av-943.gif happy11.gif
Chris H.
Setting the stinky stuff out in the direct sunlight can do a lot of good. Had a set of seats and door panels that were mint but had some mildew issues...a couple of days in the hot sun took most of the edge off. Then just a good cleaning and conditioning and they were all good.
Porschef
I had another car that was owned by a smoker. While it's not the same stank, burning an entire scented candle worked very well. No noticeable tobaccy smell after, may work for you here.
boxsterfan
So, I got around to taking out the interior this week (save for the carpetson the side and under the console). I cleaned as much as I could with 409 cleaner and I also let the backpad, seats, front trunk carpet/plank, and arm rest sit in the sun for several hours each day. The floor mats are just too far gone if you ask me, so I'll be looking for a new set. Anyway, it certainly smells better in the car now.

I plan to take the door panels off next weekend and clean out in there too.

smash.gif
jaxdream
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Oct 8 2013, 08:46 PM) *

Moth balls?

Stay Away from MOTHBALLS !!!!!!! Read some of the hazards of using Mothballs in a closed space , they give off TOXIC fumes that are deadly to bugs and humans .Google mothballs and see what you get .

Jack
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.