Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: This is nice but is it worth the asking price?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JawjaPorsche
I like to look at restorations especially 73 1.7's like mine. The only thing really bugging me is why they painted the engine hood under the grill the same color as the car not black. Kinda stands out like a sore thumb!

Is it really worth the asking price?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-914...f7d&vxp=mtr
StratPlayer
Hope he gets what he's asking for.
Mblizzard
Well just from looking at the pictures provided, I did not see enough to support the restoration claims. May be there are more pictures or the silver color is throwing me off. But not one picture of the hell hole or longs? If you are going to claim rust free, you better have pictures to back up those areas.
AfricanHijinx
20k? wow that seems close to a 914-6 range
Ferg
QUOTE(AfricanHijinx @ Oct 9 2013, 06:05 PM) *

20k? wow that seems close to a 914-6 range

Sorry but lol-2.gif
timothy_nd28
why is this hose off?
Click to view attachment
Mike Bellis
Don't you know thosw guys in Florida are a little crazy... poke.gif
zambezi
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Oct 9 2013, 09:25 PM) *

why is this hose off?
Click to view attachment

Looks like the motor is not in the car yet, so I am sure there is lots that is not hooked up yet.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Oct 9 2013, 07:27 PM) *

I think it's the humidity and occasional high winds. av-943.gif
tod914
A beautiful original low mileage 1973 1.7 Phoenix red sold for 25k this past spring out of Ohio. So no.
JoeSharp
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Oct 9 2013, 07:27 PM) *

Why, Thank you Mike...

I know nothing about this car. But I did sell my -6 for $20K
Mblizzard
QUOTE(tod914 @ Oct 9 2013, 09:19 PM) *

A beautiful original low mileage 1973 1.7 Phoenix red sold for 25k this past spring out of Ohio. So no.

But this one is not original is it? With the restoration even if it is nicely done would place it lower than a true original car. Or do I have it backwards?
Razorbobsr
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Oct 9 2013, 09:15 PM) *

I like to look at restorations especially 73 1.7's like mine. The only thing really bugging me is why they painted the engine hood under the grill the same color as the car not black. Kinda stands out like a sore thumb!

Is it really worth the asking price?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-914...f7d&vxp=mtr

tod914
You got it right Mike.
damesandhotrods
“The engine was in good working order but top end was rebuilt, valves and heads and exhaust powder coated.”

That doesn’t really sound like a restored car. That sounds like new paint and a mechanical refresh. If they cut corners on the engine, where else did they cut them? They went through a lot to document the painting, what about the bodywork, transaxle, and the rest? I guess I’m getting olde, but someone says they did a restoration, I expect a full restoration.
Cupomeat
QUOTE(damesandhotrods @ Oct 10 2013, 01:15 PM) *

“The engine was in good working order but top end was rebuilt, valves and heads and exhaust powder coated.”

That doesn’t really sound like a restored car. That sounds like new paint and a mechanical refresh. If they cut corners on the engine, where else did they cut them? They went through a lot to document the painting, what about the bodywork, transaxle, and the rest? I guess I’m getting olde, but someone says they did a restoration, I expect a full restoration.

I'd like to understand why they powder coated the valves... av-943.gif

Pat Garvey
"an incredibly clean example, considered excellent."
Look, this 914 "appears" to have a really nice repaint. I'd like to see some extensive pics of the before version to classify it as excellent. And, if it was excellent, why a repaint/resto (the term restoration is a bit nebulous to me). It DOES appear to be a very good car, though I dislike the use of so much powder coating (did the factory use that?).

We can all find flaws with the "restoration", but it does look nice overall. It would never win a serious Porsche concours, and the price is way too high to start with. If it were in its original condition, looking the way it does now I'd say the starting price may be the correct selling price. But it has too many glossy things on it that should be satin and too many unknown things. One of the Samba pics shows a severely rusted battery tray - what's underneath that?
Still, nice car but the owner appears to want his money back. Not going to happen with this car. And why does this Florida car have New York plates?

Would I like to have it? Probably. Would I pay 20K to get started with something that has so many incorrect things (way to ruin a great set of wheels!) - nope. Wish him well and hope he gets his price. Most of us have made less-than-favorable purchases, and the field is narrowed for "original" 914's. Cheaper then doing it yourself if you can get it for around 15-16.
pat.gif
Harpo
I have seen photos of this car here on 914world. Could the owner be a member? Good luck with the sale but I'm skeptical.

DAvid
Porschef
No expenses restoration? poke.gif

Hmmm....
green914
agree.gif I hope they get their asking price. I don't think it's going to happen.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.