Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sparks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Razorbobsr
My carbed 914 and I were warming up yesterday when out of nowhere, at 2K RPM's, without a snap, crackle, or pop, the engine just dies! SHOCKED I was, having just done a 400 round trip to the inlaws. Fuel pump is working, I know I am getting air, so how does one trouble shoot a MSD eng system? Bob
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Razorbobsr @ Oct 10 2013, 06:23 AM) *

My carbed 914 and I were warming up yesterday when out of nowhere, at 2K RPM's, without a snap, crackle, or pop, the engine just dies! SHOCKED I was, having just done a 400 round trip to the inlaws. Fuel pump is working, I know I am getting air, so how does one trouble shoot a MSD eng system? Bob

Remove it from the equation and wire the coil as it was from the factory.
Razorbobsr
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Oct 10 2013, 10:04 PM) *

QUOTE(Razorbobsr @ Oct 10 2013, 06:23 AM) *

Remove it from the equation and wire the coil as it was from the factory.

This is what looks like a MSD coil pack, I have a 6a type MSD unit. Bob
LotusJoe
MSD = My Spark Died
TdiRacing
I had an issue with the points closing up on my car with the msd on my 2.4L 6 conversion. I dont drive the car alot and this was an issue. Other issue maybe the rotor itself. They can burn the tiny wire inside. There is a how to on adding a thicker wire inside of rotor. I would check the points .
Razorbobsr
QUOTE(TdiRacing @ Oct 11 2013, 01:21 PM) *

I had an issue with the points closing up on my car with the msd on my 2.4L 6 conversion. I dont drive the car alot and this was an issue. Other issue maybe the rotor itself. They can burn the tiny wire inside. There is a how to on adding a thicker wire inside of rotor. I would check the points .

No points. Bob
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(Razorbobsr @ Oct 11 2013, 02:09 PM) *

QUOTE(TdiRacing @ Oct 11 2013, 01:21 PM) *

No points. Bob

That's good information. What type of points replacement module do you have (Compufire, Petronix, etc?) Do you have an original set of points, or a distributor with them that you could swap out?

As Rick said though, it would be easier to just wire it without the MSD first. Regardless of the pointsless module you have, the negative black wire should go to the negative side of the coil and red to the positive.

If it runs, then it's the MSD. If not, then it's most likely the points replacement module, which is very possible.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.