Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: brake confustion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jchoppe
my husband is restoring a 1971 914.4 as a pleasure vehicle. I thought i would surprise him with brakes, but im now totally confused. I know he needs a master cylinder, rotors, calipers and brake pads. Where is the best place to purchase these items. Also im confused some of the places list the front as just front others are specific that they are selling the passenger front or driver front. Slotted or unslotted. With or without shims. Should I just give up and tell him im buying the brakes and he should pick them out?
ThePaintedMan
welcome.png

Here is the best one-stop place to go for brakes if you want him to have the right stuff the first time. If there is anything that he would want to do different, I'm sure Eric would do an exchange for different parts if need be. Do you know anything else about the car? Does it have four lug bolts or five? Some people change the hubs to accept five lugs (the 914 4 cylinders all came with 4 lugs) and therefore, the brakes could be different on that car.

Eric (the owner) can also be reached here under the name Eric_Shea.

Good luck, what a nice gift!
lsintampa
QUOTE(jchoppe @ Oct 10 2013, 08:40 AM) *

my husband is restoring a 1971 914.4 as a pleasure vehicle. I thought i would surprise him with brakes, but im now totally confused. I know he needs a master cylinder, rotors, calipers and brake pads. Where is the best place to purchase these items. Also im confused some of the places list the front as just front others are specific that they are selling the passenger front or driver front. Slotted or unslotted. With or without shims. Should I just give up and tell him im buying the brakes and he should pick them out?

No offense, but if my wife wanted to buy something for one of my "project cars", aside from being totally blown away, my fear would be that she'd end up buying the wrong thing, of something I don't need or want.

Best thing is that unless you know how he wants the car to turn out and you know what he needs (maybe the brakes are OK?) asking would be acceptable.

If my BD were coming up and my wife asked if there was something she could get me for my car, I'd gladly hand her a list and appreciate the offer greatly.
6freak
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Oct 10 2013, 05:44 AM) *

welcome.png

Here is the best one-stop place to go for brakes if you want him to have the right stuff the first time. If there is anything that he would want to do different, I'm sure Eric would do an exchange for different parts if need be. Do you know anything else about the car? Does it have four lug bolts or five? Some people change the hubs to accept five lugs (the 914 4 cylinders all came with 4 lugs) and therefore, the brakes could be different on that car.

Eric (the owner) can also be reached here under the name Eric_Shea.

Good luck, what a nice gift!

yeah sure as long as she dont ask a stupid ?
and to the young lady ..tell him to order what he needs you pay the bill then and he`ll be just as happy if not more because he`s got the right stuff...really blow his mind and help him do the install ,best of luck and the fine folk`s a Pelican will be very happy to help you
smile.gif
Mblizzard
I think you show him your are invested and supportive of the project by ordering the stuff from Eric. Eric will guide you on the standard stuff. Have Eric hold the shipment and give your husband the invoice and ask him if there is anything he would change before you tell Eric to ship. If he wants to change something have him explain so that you show true interest in a car that I would think was intended to be a pleasure car for both of you.

You get the best of everything with that approach. Placing the order shows your commitment to him and the project. You show him respect by giving him a chance to change what he needs to. And you make it more of a team effort.

I can assure you he will be floored and impressed by this approach. I would like to say I thought of it but my wife did that for me and it was an amazing feeling.

Remember projects that couples take on should bring them together not separate them.
mepstein
QUOTE(jchoppe @ Oct 10 2013, 08:40 AM) *

Eric at PMB has held my hand through the brake process many times. I'm sure he will do right by you smile.gif
pt_700
jchoppe, your husband is a very lucky man.

do you have a sister?

ha ha! welcome to the site!
Eric_Shea
Happy to help navigate you through the brake issues.

The 71 should be fairly straight forward.

Here's what he will need for front calipers:
http://www.pmbperformance.com/914-brakes/E..._914_Front.html

Here's the rear calipers:
http://www.pmbperformance.com/914-brakes/Early_914_Rear.html

Front rotors:
http://www.pmbperformance.com/catalog/item...563/1475445.htm

Rear rotors:
http://www.pmbperformance.com/catalog/item...563/4747407.htm

For the master cylinder, I would recommend a 19mm unit. They are less money and perform better than the 17mm unit (slightly harder pedal feel):
http://www.pmbperformance.com/catalog/item...563/4747837.htm

Call anytime or, PM me your contact info and I can put together a complete package for you. Brakes are about all we do and we cut our teeth 10 years ago on 914 brakes. I'd really like to know a little more about the restoration as well. If it is simply "Stock" then the above would be a good choice, otherwise we may have other recommendations.

We build all of the calipers for Pelican Parts, Stoddard and T. Rutlands Ferrari. Happy to help.

Eric
Cupomeat
I would just like to say that either:

1. This is an amazing gesture and I am very jealous. drooley.gif

2. This is just a hoax intended to make most of the married men think about how they are very alone in their obsessions with their 914 (besides the Lovely 914World). stirthepot.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.