Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Trunk - I did a very stupid thing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lsintampa
I installed a electric magnet release on my trunk. Tested it and all was great. So I thought it would be working for a while - at least long enough until I put a secondary release in, but I was totally wrong.

So not only is the release not dis-engaging the lock, I was stupid enough to already mount the P O R S C H E reflector on the face.

There is a small gap between the reflector and the trunk that I might be able to wiggle a coat hanger into, but I'm not sure a) if that will work, b) how to wiggle the coat hanger even if I get in into the lock hole, or c) is there a better way?

So don't chair.gif me, I'm already feeling like post-2-1117899824.gif

Eric_Shea
It's happened before.

You'll have to go through the engine compartment and push out the top latch cups. then with multiple 3/8" extensions and a 10mm socket, remove the latch.

Good luck.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Oct 10 2013, 12:12 PM) *

It's happened before.

You'll have to go through the engine compartment and push out the top latch cups. then with multiple 3/8" extensions and a 10mm socket, remove the latch.

Good luck.

agree.gif

BTDT
AfricanHijinx
where did you get the magnet lock?
SirAndy
Do a search, there are several threads on how to do this from the engine side as Eric mentioned.

It's easier than it sounds ...
smash.gif
lsintampa
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 10 2013, 02:27 PM) *

Do a search, there are several threads on how to do this from the engine side as Eric mentioned.

It's easier than it sounds ...
smash.gif

Andy,

I did try to search and tried again, but I must not know the inside tricks to find what I'm searching for. I've tried +rear +trunk and many other combinations.

I'd LOVE to be able to search instead of posting, but searching (for me) has never been very helpful.

If you have other threads on the subject, I'd appreciate links to them.

Thanks,

Len
SirAndy
QUOTE(lsintampa @ Oct 10 2013, 11:41 AM) *
I did try to search and tried again, but I must not know the inside tricks to find what I'm searching for. I've tried +rear +trunk and many other combinations.

I'd LOVE to be able to search instead of posting, but searching (for me) has never been very helpful.

If you have other threads on the subject, I'd appreciate links to them.

Searching for:
+trunk +open +extension

In 'All Forums' gave me a nice list of results including these threads (In no particular order):

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...open++extension

It took longer to write this post than doing the search ...
shades.gif
KELTY360
From the title of this thread I guessed you'd put on one of those reflectors....hmmm...I was right. What are you trying to do, lose your NARP status? slap.gif
76-914
if you can hear it clicking do this: press down on the trunk lid a few times then try it. if that doesn't work have someone push down on it while you activate the switch.
bulitt
The threads really don't expound on the process Eric mentioned.
Open your engine lid
Pop the plastic cups out of the trunk (one on either side, when the top is stored the latches reside in the cups)
Then you will need about 5 foot of socket extensions and a 10mm socket.
Tape them together with some duct tape as you feed them into the trunk.
Insert the extension/socket through one cup hole and shine a flashlight through the other.
Remove the trunk latch bolts. piratenanner.gif
r_towle
I had a friend who had the same setup of electronic latch and Porsche reflector.
He drilled a 1/8 hole in exactly the right place to stick a long allen wrench in there and push open the latch.

You really could not see it at all, but it was a good idea for insurance to get in there when needed.

I suspect if you are game, someone can get you some accurate measurement...then its just drill a hole, stick in a stiff piece if steel (not a coat hanger) and push.

Allen wrench was one of the T handle long ones...

Rich
SirAndy
QUOTE(bulitt @ Oct 10 2013, 12:07 PM) *

I only listed a few out of two pages of search results i got with a quick search that took all of 5 seconds to do.
I was not trying to provide links to threads that i knew had the best answer.

Is it really so hard to type 3 words in the search box and read through two pages of results all by yourself?
confused24.gif
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(bulitt @ Oct 10 2013, 03:07 PM) *

Open your engine lid
Pop the plastic cups out of the trunk (one on either side, when the top is stored the latches reside in the cups)
Then you will need about 5 foot of socket extensions and a 10mm socket.
Tape them together with some duct tape as you feed them into the trunk.
Insert the extension/socket through one cup hole and shine a flashlight through the other.
Remove the trunk latch bolts. piratenanner.gif

Tedious, painful & the best way to do it. Also helps to have a universal joint available. headbang.gif
76-914
QUOTE(r_towle @ Oct 10 2013, 12:12 PM) *

I had a friend who had the same setup of electronic latch and Porsche reflector.
He drilled a 1/8 hole in exactly the right place to stick a long allen wrench in there and push open the latch.

You really could not see it at all, but it was a good idea for insurance to get in there when needed.

I suspect if you are game, someone can get you some accurate measurement...then its just drill a hole, stick in a stiff piece if steel (not a coat hanger) and push.

Rich

Good idea. Be careful because plastic can break as soon as you drill it if you don't use a bit made for plastic. A regular bit will latch on and pull thru too quickly thus breaking the plastic. The one on the left is for plastic. Or, you can re-shape an existing bit with a file. Note: the thicker the plastic the greater the risk of breaking w/ std bits. http://www.aircraftspruce.com/search/searc...amp;x=0&y=0
lsintampa
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 10 2013, 03:16 PM) *

I only listed a few out of two pages of search results i got with a quick search that took all of 5 seconds to do.

Is it really so hard to type 3 words in the search box and read through two pages of results all by yourself?
confused24.gif

No it isn't, I should know as I've done much more searching than posting. The trick is knowing what to search for. Why I would search for +trunk +open +extension is beyond me... If I knew I needed an "extension" to "open" my "trunk", I wouldn't have needed to post or search for a clue.

Not a big deal, but just a FYI - I always search before posting. It just hasn't been very productive (for me).

Thanks,

Len
Eric_Shea
Search here is kinda tough.
ThePaintedMan
No worries. Keep in mind, Len hasn't been here very long. He'll get the hang of it.

What is more frustrating are people who have been here for years and still haven't figured it out, or are just too lazy to try to search before asking a question. I can think of one person in particular who does this weekly. confused24.gif
orthobiz
Someone made this custom Google tool. I have found it useful and have it bookmarked:

https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=00240834...772:ajvfxschcgc

Paul
SirAndy
QUOTE(lsintampa @ Oct 10 2013, 12:28 PM) *
Why I would search for +trunk +open +extension is beyond me... If I knew I needed an "extension" to "open" my "trunk", I wouldn't have needed to post or search for a clue.

Because the first post in this thread after yours is from Eric telling you how to do this using several extensions.

I ran my search to find threads related to the method he described.
That's why i used the keyword "extension".

To me that's a perfectly logical progression:

- You do a search, can't find an answer
- You post here asking
- Someone gives you additional information
- You run a search again using that additional information
- You get (hopefully better) search results

rolleyes.gif
McMark
Hmm, weird. My stock pushbutton works great every time. idea.gif Might think of upgrading. tongue.gif
wndsnd
I could not have restored my car without the search function on the World. I use it many times a day

I find what works best for me is using quotes

"Open Trunk" or "trunk latch"

John

flipb
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Oct 10 2013, 03:38 PM) *

Someone made this custom Google tool. I have found it useful and have it bookmarked:

Paul

You can also/instead just put the following into the Google search field in addition to your search terms:

site:914world.com

JamesM
QUOTE(r_towle @ Oct 10 2013, 11:12 AM) *

Rich

agree.gif

I have the same thing on mine, along with a thin steel rod on my keychain to open it.
lsintampa
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Oct 10 2013, 03:50 PM) *

I could not have restored my car without the search function on the World. I use it many times a day

I find what works best for me is using quotes

"Open Trunk" or "trunk latch"

John

Yeah, I tried "open trunk" and found a great thread about BMW calipers.

Guys, enough with the search lessons already. It works for most of you, but I really haven't had much success. I'll take all the good suggestions to heart and try harder.

Meanwhile, I searched my soul for a miracle and one showed up! My magnet finally worked. clap56.gif

Now on to installing a fail safe fall back.

Thanks to all for your help on how to be a better search guru!

Appreciated!

Len

huh.gif
lsintampa

Paul

This is the bomb! Thanks.... will use this often!!!!

beerchug.gif
green914
I just put the stock push-button back in mine smile.gif Repairing the rust that formed behind the plastic-lenses, and filling in the holes - $900 - having a working trunk latch - priceless.
turk22
QUOTE(lsintampa @ Oct 10 2013, 04:19 PM) *

Paul

This is the bomb! Thanks.... will use this often!!!!

beerchug.gif

agree.gif
This is the best, no "+" signs needed...
bulitt
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 10 2013, 03:16 PM) *

confused24.gif

Andy- I was just trying to say that after searching and reading the threads Eric had already covered the process pretty well.
rick 918-S
Just did the same thing. I ended up removing the hinge bolts, lifting the lid as high as it would go, Removed the gasket across the trunk bulkhead and made up an extension from 1/4" rod to get to the 10mm bolts. I now have a safety wire on the latch that comes down between the muffler heat shield and rear body panel.
PanelBilly
I spent more time repairing the holes I had drilled in the car for the reflector than I did installing it and rigging the extensions to "break in" when it failed to let me in the trunk. Lesson learned. I still like the look of the reflector.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.