Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil Cooler Mounting?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Natedog
Hey out there.....

I'm making big strides on my engine building! It's lots of fun!

But of course the questions continue.....
Attached picture should set the stage:

This much is obvious:
The oil cooler is mounted to the case via three long studs with washers and nuts. There are two oil seals that are sandwiched between the case and cooler.

The Haynes manual says "don't forget the washer between the case and the cooler". However, none of the exploded view diagrams show any washer there, only two on the outside with the nut.

Just as a check - my Bentley manual for my 73 VW Squareback shows 'spacers' set between the case and the cooler. They comment that the 'spacers' are essential.

Here's my question:
Are there supposed to be washers or spacers of some sort in between the case and the oil cooler? This is on my 1973 914 2.0.

I'll be back at it in the morning. Time to get some sleep.

Cheers,
Nate
Natedog
WOW! SORRY THAT PICTURE IS SO FRIGGIN HUGE! I THOUGHT I HAD MADE IT SMALLER!!
newdeal2
NO washers at the case...big mistake. Only at the nuts after the cooler is in place. I don't think there is a torque either. Just make them nice and firm.

Jake Raby covers this in his video.
IronHillRestorations
This would have to be the most frustration causing error in the Haynes manual! wacko.gif

As the prior post says, don't put those washers between the cooler and the mounting boss. If you do your engine will pee oil when you start it up.

About twenty years ago when I did my first engine rebuild, I did exactly what the Haynes manual said, and ended up getting really good and pulling the engine and engine tin that day, night, and part of the next day, before I said screw it and put those *@#$% washers on AFTER the oil cooler.

Just don't over torque the M10 nuts that hold the cooler in place and compress the seals. I don't remember if there's a torque spec for these, but I'd guess it's probably only 8ft lb or maybe even less.

PK
Jake Raby
NO, NO NO!!!

No friggin washers or anything between the cooler and the case!

Buy my video to see that!
Rhodes71/914
I'm at just about the same spot in putting my engine back together and the stupid Haynes manual triped me up as well. I know when I took it apart that there weren't any washers in there, and thought that I saw a post on it at some point. So I just disregarded what the Haynes manual said. I've also learned from doing rebuilds on different vehicle that sometimes the Haynes manual is wrong! mad.gif

Jake, I think I will buy your video when I do a full rebuild, only new rings an cleaned up heads on this one.
Jake Raby
The Only engines that ever got shims between the cooler and case were 66-69 Type IS and a few years of Type III... No Type IV got them..
Natedog
Thanks for all the advice. I didn't put any washers in between.

I wish I had bought Jake's video. I think it would have helped a lot! Maybe for next time.
The Haynes manual has confused things more than once!

For what it's worth: My 1973 Type III definately uses spacers in between.

But I've made quite a bit of progress..... The rest will have to wait until after Christmas.

Cheers,
Nate
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.