Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: VW 'Towrig'
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
redshift
It's Christmas, I just sold a guitar, and I am looking to buy a truck thing. Suggestions? I like the Towrig from the outside, and the inside is comfortable.

idea.gif

If I don't get a truck thing. Maybe Karl will let me buy him out of his contract. smile.gif

No way I'd spend a penny of this on a teener! FORGET IT! I am about to buy a house, and I don't need a yard full of crap... to start..

-puts on good neighbor face mask-

laugh.gif

M
seanery
Miles,
Our chief instructor for the Central Indiana Region PCA uses a Toureg to tow his 87 Carrera. It's a nice vehicle. If I didn't get a good size savings by having family at Chrysler I would probably have a V8 Toureg right now. Maybe not though, I love my Durango.
redshift
Durango is a real truck, made for a real man. (what are you doing with one?) hah

I need to go to Atlanta, and drive all this stuff, 'build your car' online is not helping a damned thing.

I wish they delivered.

smile.gif

M
Qarl
Redshift, you see more like a Honda Excrement kinda guy to me!
DuckRyder
V10TDI.
swood
You won't like the limited MPG. Sucks gas big time. A friend has one. It's a great ride otherwise.
Rhodes71/914
My mother has one V6 model, she loves it. I've driven it a few times, very nice ride. Gets better gas milage than the Land Rover Disco that she had.

I think she just bought it to make me jealous!
redshift
Gas guzzler? Is this that new external combustion engine?

I hunted one down today, and I like it (not the color at all.. red over wheat thingy.. not me) but I think I will keep looking for a while here..

I looked over all the options, and I didn't want even one.. yIKES! What is the world coming to?

I tested out a Turbo Beet too.. hey! That's fun!

M
Porsche Rescue
Last spring I bought a used Audi sedan from a woman who had just bought a new Toureg. She was having lots of trouble (major drive train issue but I can't remember what it was). Back to the dealer several times for weeks at a time. May have just been parts unavilable for such a new car. She said hers was not the only one with the problem. I would do some internet searching on problems before buying.
ejm
Early Touaregs had two drivetrain issues, both involving the transfer case. Some vehicles needed the entire unit replaced based on the production code cast in the case. The other problem involved severe tire scrubbing when turning. This was fixed with a software update and on some vehicles a new stepper motor. There were other problems many of the early production Touaregs had but they have all been resolved with software or hardware updates. The late '04's had all these issues resolved at the port or factory.
BMartin914
V10TDI

IPB Image
a9146luvr
V10 starts at $53K( thats $53000.00) i think, heck V6 starts at $35K, i own a 914 for a reason, and it ain't cause i'm rich, glad to hear you are!
BGman
They must be awful nice guitars.
redshift
I just got the world record $$$ for a dead-mint 1956 Goldtop, with original strings. NOS, period.

I am shocked that it's gone, in a good way. Now all I have to do is wait for a 3rd party check from Indonesia.

I can't sleep!

M
spare time toys
Ijust dropped my jetta off at the dealer for some warentee work. I went over and looked at the 05 Tour rag OMG they are in the $54000 range and not the TDI. Last time I looked the TDI was $53000 I hate to see what it goes for now. Sorry VW it looks like I go to Nissan for the Armada.
redshift
I didn't let them give me the anal probe, but the bloodsucker quoted me "around 46" for the V8 with a hitch.

It is way too much, I am looking for a 1964 Ford econoline as we breathe.

IPB Image

M
DuckRyder
Your Touareg
V10 5.0L 4dr All-wheel Drive
5.0L 310hp 10-cylinder turbo

Base MSRP $58,490
~ Volkswagen 2004 Drivers Appreciation Program - National - 09/01/04 -$500
Engine: 5.0L V10 DOHC STD
Transmission: 6-Speed Automatic w/Tiptronic STD
3.27 Axle Ratio STD
GVWR: 6,956 lbs STD
Tires: P255/55VR18 AS STD
Wheels: 8.0J x 18" Alloy STD
Heatable Front Bucket Seats STD
Cricket Leather Seat Trim STD
Monotone Paint Application STD
Radio: Premium VI AM/FM Stereo w/Single CD Player STD
4-Corner Air Suspension STD
Destination charge $615

Total MSRP*: $58,605

Your Touareg
V8 4.2L 4dr All-wheel Drive
4.2L 310hp 8-cylinder

Base MSRP $44,260
Engine: 4.2L V8 DOHC STD
Transmission: 6-Speed Automatic w/Tiptronic STD
4.56 Axle Ratio STD
GVWR: 6,494 lbs STD
Tires: P255/55VR18 AS STD
Wheels: 8.0J x 18" Alloy STD
Heatable Front Bucket Seats STD
Cricket Leather Seat Trim STD
Monotone Paint Application STD
Radio: Premium VI AM/FM Stereo w/Single CD Player STD
Regular Ride Suspension STD
Touareg Trailer Hitch $849
Destination charge $615

Total MSRP*: $45,724

Note to VW: Your "build your own site is rotten"

But hey, the premium package is only 11,000.00 (no that isn't a typo)
skline
I would rather spend the money on the Porsche model, at least it has some resale.
seanery
you could probably get a used chili pepper for the price of a new toureg.
Root_Werks
A freind of mine has a 77' 911S, with a built 2.7CIS engine. A screamer for a CIS engine. Anywho! My wife and I were driving on the hwy the other day returning it and I noted a Porsche Cheyane(spelling? Who cares?), I zipped up, hmm "S" model. Sort of did a few little moves, zipped in front of it (leaving room) and the guy flipped his brights at me and beeped his horn in anger. I didn't cut him off, it was an intentional "lets play" move. Any other Porsche driver might have seen it as that and ether respectfully delcined the offer to play, or joined in the festive fun of prancing about for a while. But this asshole didn't know what I was asking of him. Which reminded me, yeah, he is driving an SUV and probably doesn't even know at one time, Porsches were air cooled sports cars.

Damn Porsche for building a POS SUV and having grocery getting put a band-aid on my little finger pussy ass drivers behind the wheel of of them. IPB Image What a waste of a car/SUV/Station wagon, whatever they are. IPB Image
DuckRyder
That "POS SUV" probably had a minimum of 450 hp.
skline
QUOTE (DuckRyder @ Dec 20 2004, 10:16 AM)

It only has that much if the driver is capable of driving it that way. Otherwise, its just another SUV with some soccer mom on the cell phone with all her kids in the back not paying attention to where shes going vehicle out to make trouble for us guys with the little cars.
Root_Werks
It is just my opinion guys. I don't like the fact Porsche trailed off the sports car arena. I know they are making $$$ with the SUV, but use to be a 944 would have fun racing around a 914 or 911 or 928. Point is this guy marked a turning point for me. No longer can I just look for the Porsche name and think, Cool! Another kid to play with! Now I have to think, does this guy or women know how to handle that 1000hp or whatever under the hood? Or will they be calling the police on thier frigging cell phone to report me for aggressive driving? Just sucks is all. I sort of wish Porsche would have stayed out of that arena. IPB Image
Rhodes71/914
QUOTE (Root_Werks @ Dec 20 2004, 10:12 AM)

Damn Porsche for building a POS SUV and having grocery getting put a band-aid on my little finger pussy ass drivers behind the wheel of of them. IPB Image What a waste of a car/SUV/Station wagon, whatever they are. IPB Image

Dan, tell us how you really feel.

I sort of wish Porsche would have stayed out of that arena. sad.gif

To much money for them not to have jumed into that arena.
Root_Werks
IPB Image I know. I have calmed down now. IPB Image Happy Root again. IPB Image
dlo914
similar situation occured with me....i was driving to work locally and saw a Cayenne and decided to drive in front of it in the neighboring lane to see if id get a friendly IPB Image or something.....NADDA IPB Image
914forme
QUOTE (skline @ Dec 20 2004, 02:23 PM)
QUOTE (DuckRyder @ Dec 20 2004, 10:16 AM)

It only has that much if the driver is capable of driving it that way. Otherwise, its just another SUV with some soccer mom on the cell phone with all her kids in the back not paying attention to where shes going vehicle out to make trouble for us guys with the little cars.

Yeah you have to find the right person to drive the Pepper fast.

Last summer I put a hurt on a pepper S with my good ole Chevy truck, guy could not drive up the side of a TN mountain to save his soul. And it was in the rain, his AWD and more HP better suspension etc. should have kicked my 2wd limited slip V8s butt. All he saw as tail lights.

Now that being said I have a buddy that drives the piss out of his Pepper Turbo, Willing to hand out your IPB Image on a platter if you want. But he will only keep it through the winter then it is M Coupe time for him. As he says it is only funny so many times to beat the pants off somebody in a Soccer Mom's car.

The Porsche dealers around here have tons of them and are wheeling and dealing to move them. They are not too happy about carry the stock that PCNA is making them when they can't sell the thing. Kinda hard when right next to the pepper there is the VW version for oh several $$$$ less.

Not sure why Porsche decieded to do a joint venture with VW again. They should have stuck to engineering the beast and let VW sell it. Maybe they should have built an RS model for VW kinda like Audi RS6.

Yes I know my favorite car is a joint venture product but I am wierd that way.

The VW and Pepper are both nice but for the money, I would be looking for something else. Or at least used found an Audi RS6 today for less than the prices you where quoting, and that in my book is way more fun.
machina
Not my rig but I wouldn't mind having it. That said, don't think it would do well in a crosswind or when a semi passes you. For a big 20' box like this, you need a big ass 'mercn truck.
redshift
IPB Image <--- Porsche SUV wave © 2003 Sammy

M
campbellcj
Thanks to my half-crazy wife who has just recently mastered the art of prolific spending (I can't complain much as I have about a 20 year head start in this category), I (er, we) now have a new tow vehicle. It's about the same as the old one, just newer and nicer and a different color. Exit the 2001 Land Crusher, enter the 2005 Land Crusher. They are built like tanks and expensive as all hell, but resale value and reliability are top notch as with most higher-end Toyota and Lexus models. Plus she can write off a lot of the expense against her new business, and less taxes = rocking nana.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.