Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help with new VDO Guage and sending unit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
boxsterfan
So, I got my VDO gauge and oil temp sending unit from Pelican and installed them today. However, I am not getting any reading on the temp.

1. Did Pelican send me the wrong parts? The gauge is part 310 012/82 and sender is part 323 055/82. Gauge goes to 300 degrees. The sender said 150C on it.

For connection, the only confusing part was that there was an extra prong for a spade connector on the back of this gauge. Otherwise, the 3-prong piece goes to the obvious spot and one spade connecter connects to one of the two prongs at the top.

2. Am I supposed to be wiring that extra prong somewhere?
SLITS
Back of gauge, on the can, if it is a single spade it is a ground.

You should see the gauge move when turning on the key if you have it wired correctly.

As I remember you would have 2 - 3 connections .... + is switched power to the gauge, "S" or "G" is the wire from the sender and possibly there is an earth symbol which is ground.

150 C is 302 F

Tomorrow I could look at one.
boxsterfan
QUOTE(SLITS @ Oct 12 2013, 02:35 PM) *

Back of gauge, on the can, if it is a single spade it is a ground.

You should see the gauge move when turning on the key if you have it wired correctly.

As I remember you would have 2 - 3 connections .... + is switched power to the gauge, "S" or "G" is the wire from the sender and possibly there is an earth symbol which is ground.

150 C is 302 F

Tomorrow I could look at one.

My gauge doesn't move when I turn the key.

The VDO Gauge I got was this one:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/...?pn=310-012-M82
The oil temp sending unit is this one:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/...?pn=323-055-M82

I didn't get a chance to look at this any more today, but I am hoping someone on this board has installed this gauge/sending unit from Pelican as a replacement to the stock gauge/sending unit.

Kraftwerk
This might not help the situation: but the reviews of the sending unit are not very favorable...
boxsterfan
QUOTE(Kraftwerk @ Oct 12 2013, 10:13 PM) *

This might not help the situation: but the reviews of the sending unit are not very favorable...

Great! sad.gif
Cap'n Krusty
Got 12v to the (+) terminal? Got ground to the (-) terminal? Got continuity in the signal wire (G)? Gotta check the basics ...........

The Cap'n
boxsterfan
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Oct 12 2013, 10:39 PM) *

Got 12v to the (+) terminal? Got ground to the (-) terminal? Got continuity in the signal wire (G)? Gotta check the basics ...........

The Cap'n

Anybody have the list of which color wires are which? ((+), (-) and signal (G))
904svo
QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Oct 13 2013, 08:44 AM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Oct 12 2013, 10:39 PM) *

The Cap'n

Anybody have the list of which color wires are which? ((+), (-) and signal (G))

Red/White is switch power
Brown is ground
Gauge can be Green/Black

If you turn on the key without the G lead connected it should peg the meter, if not
either switch power or ground is missing. If it's powered up right with the g lead connected it should read 0 with the key on.
boxsterfan
Figured it out. The G and (+) were reversed for where they needed to be in the the little plastic 3-prong plastic block on the harness. Reverse and all is well.

beer3.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.