Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: More Riviera questions...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
69telecaster
Click to view attachment3 are the same, one has different width outer lip and apparent "dish". All have approx. 4" backspace and 165 tires. The backside photo shows different construction of the odd rim. I took these off my Dad's '76 in favor of the repainted stock steelies.
Are these worth anything?
69telecaster
...backside...
messix
the odd one is a "fat lip"

more info here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=481008
69telecaster
Thanks for the reply, but...the one on the right in the photos is the 'odd' one. It appears narrower, but you say it's a "fat lip"?
I didn't initially see any identifying markings on the backsides, but I'll try to do some scrubbing, as long as there might be something there.
Mblizzard
I have these or ones similar on my car. Not sure of the back spacing but they seem to fill up the shell well on the rear in spite of only having 185/75 tires. I know my car is lacking a correct rear camber setting (it seems there is none). I was wondering if you noticed a lack of wheel well space on yours before you removed them?

I want to go to a wider tire 195/65 but with the closeness of the current tires I can't see them fitting. After reading the information posted on Samba, it appears that this tight fit is a known problem.

So it looks like the rim itself has a limited application to 914s in regard to available tire sizes. I wonder if there is a way to reduce the offset without compromising the rims? That would certainly make them more appealing and possibly worth more?
jimkelly
not sure what lugs rivieras use but if the shouldered type, there is a set in classifieds right now. good to sell wheels with lugs, if lugs are hard to find.

IPB Image
TheCabinetmaker
A quick google 914 world search brought up several threads about rivs.

http://www.google.com/cse?cx=0024083458981...&gsc.page=1
69telecaster
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Oct 15 2013, 09:07 AM) *

I have these or ones similar on my car. Not sure of the back spacing but they seem to fill up the shell well on the rear in spite of only having 185/75 tires. I know my car is lacking a correct rear camber setting (it seems there is none). I was wondering if you noticed a lack of wheel well space on yours before you removed them?

I want to go to a wider tire 195/65 but with the closeness of the current tires I can't see them fitting. After reading the information posted on Samba, it appears that this tight fit is a known problem.

So it looks like the rim itself has a limited application to 914s in regard to available tire sizes. I wonder if there is a way to reduce the offset without compromising the rims? That would certainly make them more appealing and possibly worth more?

The rear tire-to-wheel well clearance is how I discovered that one is different than the others. Even with 165 tires, one side was very close...not quite enough space to get my fingers in between. The 'odd' one, however, had a good inch of clearance. I'm thinking the rim is narrower, but I haven't had the time to scrub the backs of the rims to find any markings.
FWIW, I put 195/65 tires on the stock rims, and there's just a finger's worth of clearance...these look like the tires the car SHOULD have. The stock steel rims have about 5" of backspace, compared to the 4" on the Rivs.
Now I just need a battery, so I can try out the new tires before I put the car away for the winter.
Mblizzard
QUOTE(69telecaster @ Oct 16 2013, 04:35 AM) *

QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Oct 15 2013, 09:07 AM) *

The rear tire-to-wheel well clearance is how I discovered that one is different than the others. Even with 165 tires, one side was very close...not quite enough space to get my fingers in between. The 'odd' one, however, had a good inch of clearance. I'm thinking the rim is narrower, but I haven't had the time to scrub the backs of the rims to find any markings.
FWIW, I put 195/65 tires on the stock rims, and there's just a finger's worth of clearance...these look like the tires the car SHOULD have. The stock steel rims have about 5" of backspace, compared to the 4" on the Rivs.
Now I just need a battery, so I can try out the new tires before I put the car away for the winter.

That looks good! I think I will have to get a set of steels and put my 195/65s on them. I will keep them Rivieras for looking good but put the steels on when I want to drive it hard.
Dave_Darling
I believe that standard Bug-offset wheels will put the tire way out in the fender. So that might be what you have. There were Rivs made with 914-friendly offsets, and you can fit 195s or sometimes 205s on those.

--DD
Mblizzard
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Oct 16 2013, 07:55 AM) *

I believe that standard Bug-offset wheels will put the tire way out in the fender. So that might be what you have. There were Rivs made with 914-friendly offsets, and you can fit 195s or sometimes 205s on those.

--DD

That seems to be the case Dave. I have a set of early Pedrinis also that are not right for the car either! headbang.gif

Maybe someday I will get it all sorted correctly. But is is amazing the number of miss steps that can occur in a 40 year life of a car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.