Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CV removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dangrouche
Please be forewarned that this may not be a pleasing sight and my offend others, but it is an effective BFH style of removing the CV axles for rebuild. I employed this method to check the condition of those NLA CV joints and then repack them. This technique does not involve removing the 30mm center nut or removing the flange. The tools needed are a mid-sized vise grip, preferably a curved jaw vise grip and an 18 inch flat pry bar. If you want to protect the axle shaft you would probably want to wrap the area where the vise grip squeezes on the axle. I was lucky, I did not end up gouging the metal surface, but I did end up losing the black protective coating. I am not worried about aesthetics or rust on the axle shafts. Mine are basically beat up as far as the surfaces, so I did not care too much.
PROCESS: I attached the vise grip where the axle CV boot seats on the axle lump. The first picture depicts how the vise grip is attached and the positioning of the pry bar. The second picture shows the side you will be seated and pulling the pry bar from. Wear leather gloves for safety's sake. Just simple leverage and the CV pops right out. NOTE: that I also attempted to remove the outer CV axles by slamming the inner CV joint like a slide hammer, but since my axles already had lost most of their black coating anyway, I decided to "bite" the axles with a vise grip.
cary
Good youdea ................
If that pin is tight its a bitch getting it out.
Thanks for sharing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.