Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil drip landing on header
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tornik550
My engine is running great. I really don't have much in the way of an oil leak however the engine seeps a little and every few days I have a drip of oil. I cannot find the source- just a slow seep in a few places that eventually accumulates to a drop. I honestly really don't care about the seeping however when it does drip, it lands on my header. I have triad headers. The cyl 3,4 header pipes run across the back of the engine. When the drop of oil blows off the engine when I am driving, it inevitably hits one of the header pipes. I get a blast of burnt oil smell for a few seconds then it clears. Not a big deal however that burnt oil smell sticks with you all day. In my business, I have to get right in peoples faces all day and smelling bad isn't good for business.

My question- does anyone see any problem with me putting a piece of metal that would hang down from the back of the engine and deflect that rare drip of oil so if doesn't hit the header?
914itis
Oil pressure switch on top of the oil cooler, I'm the dizzy area. Remove and use some plumbing pipe paste to reinstall.
tornik550
QUOTE(914itis @ Oct 13 2013, 12:41 PM) *

Oil pressure switch on top of the oil cooler, I'm the dizzy area. Remove and use some plumbing pipe paste to reinstall.

I actually misspoke. I do know where the seeping is coming from- the passenger side push rod tube seals and a slight hit from the oil pump. It is a very very small amount but a small amount builds up and drips a drop or less per day. If I am driving it blows back and hits the header.

I plan on putting a little metal shield at the rear of the engine to deflect the oil if it drips then blows back onto the header. I have changed the pushrods tube seals several times and I always have some degree of a leak. I don't have much time now cause just had a new baby. I figure this is the quickest fix.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.