Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Carbs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914itis
I got my six running, it's running a bit poor and cuts off . I am sure I need some adjustments.

I had about 1 gallons in the tank, I noticed that the filter had very little gas when cranking and the pump running. The pump is in the front. Am I getting enough pressure from the pump or do I need to bleed it and remove air.

How much fuel should be sitting in the filter?
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(914itis @ Oct 13 2013, 08:35 PM) *

I got my six running, it's running a bit poor and cuts off . I am sure I need some adjustments.

I had about 1 gallons in the tank, I noticed that the filter had very little gas when cranking and the pump running. The pump is in the front. Am I getting enough pressure from the pump or do I need to bleed it and remove air.

How much fuel should be sitting in the filter?

First off, I would never fire up an engine (that's been sitting) in the car with less than a few gallons in the fuel tank. Beyond that, you'll see very little fuel in the filter at any given time while the car is running, but most filters suitable for use in a sixer are translucent and you can't see the fuel anyway. Pressure must be measured to be verified, as must volume. You don't bleed the fuel system on a carbureted engine.

The Cap'n
914itis
Thanks for your reply Capt'n. The motor was bench tested last month.
I will add more fuel and try again. As far as pressure, what is the adequate pressure for carbs?

JoeSharp
4 psi. The carbs are self bleeding at the fuel bowl. You just have to have enough to fill the system. Let them warm up before you make any judgments about them as they spit and cough a little when cold.
ThePaintedMan
And no more than 4 psi. If you don't know for sure that your fuel pump is internally regulated to 3.5 to 4 psi, you might consider verifying it with a fuel pressure gauge, and/or adding a regulator.

Also, when filling the bowls, sometimes the floats and get stuck, especially if they've sat for awhile. They can get stuck closed closed, which can make it run like crap, or they can get stuck wide open and spill gas everywhere. My trick is to rap on the side of the carb with a wrench and watch them both as they fill, which helps them free up and makes sure gas isn't spilling all over the engine bay.

I think Cap'n was also alluding to removing the transparent fuel filter. While it's helpful for checking that the carbs do have fuel flow when first getting an engine back in the car, they really have no place there afterwards. Many people have seen them get brittle and crack, spilling gas all over the engine and... you know the rest. This goes for both the plastic and the glass versions.
914itis
The fuel filter was clogged. As soon as I replaced it and turned the key on, the new filter wAs 90% full with fuel and the car a
Idled smoothly.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.