Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Preferred Electronic Ignition out there?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
boxsterfan
Looking to swap out the points on my 74 2.0L to an electronic ignition setup. The car is a daily driver, but I do like to drive enthusiastically. Looking for a reliable setup with little maintenance/quirks.

What do you think is best out there?
Cap'n Krusty
Compufire.

The Cap'n
scott_in_nh
I use Hot-spark.
$50, eay to install, 18k miles later and no issues....
pcar916
I used and installed PerTronics for years with no problems. I always carried a spare module in my own car but never needed it, and it went with that 2.7 engine when I sold it.

That was ~14 years ago though and I don't know about their current quality.
Ian Stott
I have the Pertronics in my car, no issues at all and I think the engine is actually a bit smoother.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
SLITS
Crane XR700 optical
boxsterfan
Thanks for the responses. I'll probably go with the Pertonix.

Are people running the Iginitor or Ignitor II? Do I need to replace the coil also with that setup?
vw505
Is this for a -4? I have a CB Performance in mine it's fully adjustable and dropped head temps 10deg switching from a 009. It's a a large cap like the Mallory so I had to make some room on the tin to clear.
boxsterfan
QUOTE(vw505 @ Oct 14 2013, 10:33 AM) *

Is this for a -4? I have a CB Performance in mine it's fully adjustable and dropped head temps 10deg switching from a 009. It's a a large cap like the Mallory so I had to make some room on the tin to clear.

Yes, 1974 2.0L running D-Jet FI.
Java2570
I've got a '74 2.0L that I've been running Pertronix Ignitor (not II) in for 2 years with no issues. I've also run that in VW's I've owned and have not ever had any trouble with them. Just make sure that you disconnect the coil connections if you have your ignition on for any length of time without starting the engine or it can burn out the module. The Ignitor II is supposed to solve that issue but you'll need to buy
the .6 ohm coil to go with it and better plug wires to handle the extra juice.
boxsterfan
QUOTE(Java2570 @ Oct 14 2013, 11:38 AM) *

I've got a '74 2.0L that I've been running Pertronix Ignitor (not II) in for 2 years with no issues. I've also run that in VW's I've owned and have not ever had any trouble with them. Just make sure that you disconnect the coil connections if you have your ignition on for any length of time without starting the engine or it can burn out the module. The Ignitor II is supposed to solve that issue but you'll need to buy
the .06 ohm coil to go with it and better plug wires to handle the extra juice.

Thanks. Yes, I did read that I need to get new wires (without copper core?) to handle the extra juice.

Anybody know if the Ignitor II did solve this problem (having the ignition on for extended period of time)? I definitely want to be able to play music while finding my thrill on blueberry hill.... cool_shades.gif
Java2570
QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Oct 14 2013, 02:40 PM) *

QUOTE(Java2570 @ Oct 14 2013, 11:38 AM) *

the .06 ohm coil to go with it and better plug wires to handle the extra juice.

Thanks. Yes, I did read that I need to get new wires (without copper core?) to handle the extra juice.

Anybody know if the Ignitor II did solve this problem (having the ignition on for extended period of time)? I definitely want to be able to play music while finding my thrill on blueberry hill.... cool_shades.gif

Yep, spiral wound plug wires, no solid core copper.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.