Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Noise In Trans
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mblizzard
This weekend I drove the Dragon here in east TN as part of Okteenerfest. It was a great event. But while taking on the 300 plus turns of the Dragon and other roads, I noticed a sound coming from the drivers side rear wheel area only when taking a turn to the right under power. Not there turning right with no power on or turning left under power.

Sounded like something rubbing but did not see any indications on the tires. CV bolts are all tight. No apparent play in the rear bearings when I last checked them. But I have to think it is the wheel bearings. Any other thoughts?

Ring gear?
CV joints?
AfricanHijinx
sounds like a bearing to me
malcolm2
Have you checked the trans oil level? If it is low, maybe the turn shifts the oil and "something" un-submerges and you hear it. Might not have to be low for that to happen either.

Maybe the speedo cable shifting with the swaying action of the turns.... Just thinking positvely here.

Mblizzard
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Oct 15 2013, 07:06 AM) *

Have you checked the trans oil level? If it is low, maybe the turn shifts the oil and "something" un-submerges and you hear it. Might not have to be low for that to happen either.

Maybe the speedo cable shifting with the swaying action of the turns.... Just thinking positvely here.

When I got the car the trans was very low on oil. Heck it was close to empty. I filled it and replaced the seals that were leaking. It should still be full but I will check.

Everything seems to shift well and there is a slight whine in 5th at highway speeds but I did not think it was excessive. But given the sound, it doesn't seem like it is something to overlook for too long. I just wish I could figure out a way to identify the problem before changing a bunch of things.
Dr Evil
I would blame the wheel bearing first. There is nothing in the gear box that only works on right turns wink.gif The diff will make noise either way, the bearings for the diff work all the time.

Time to jack up the car and inspect the bearings, play, etc. A CV can be a culprit as well, but start with more likely and go from there.

Does clutch in or out have an effect? Accelerating? Decelerating?
Mblizzard
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 15 2013, 11:21 AM) *

I would blame the wheel bearing first. There is nothing in the gear box that only works on right turns wink.gif The diff will make noise either way, the bearings for the diff work all the time.

Time to jack up the car and inspect the bearings, play, etc. A CV can be a culprit as well, but start with more likely and go from there.

Does clutch in or out have an effect? Accelerating? Decelerating?

I inspected the CV joints and bearing play (by hand only) when I replaced the engine. All seemed good to the average eye but the shift bushing on the shift selector seemed good then also and I just replaced it.

Only makes the sound under acceleration.

What's the best process to inspect the bearing? I checked for excessive play and obvious noise but it seems like that may have missed something.
Dr Evil
Unfortunately, a wheel bearing can start to go without having detectable play in it at the wheel. I do not know of another way to check and usually just change them.

Since you say it only happens under acceleration, it raises more concerns for in the gear box as the bearings dont typically care if you are speeding up or slowing down. CVs may still be on the radar as they like to complain with changes in velocity.

It is going to come down to you and your inspection and what you think about it.

IF it is the gear box, then it is likely the lower intermediate plate bearing as it is most stressed when accelerating and is a common failure point in the last few years. It is possible to inspect this piece with the transmission in the car.....but it might suck for you. You would need a new tail cone gasket, a 30mm deep socket, and a tool to hold the trans from spinning that I could furnish you for loan (unless you have airpower).

billh1963
I would bet bearing as well. Have you looked at the pictures of our cars in the turns...especially the ones taking in a right hand turn going away from the camera? I saw a picture of mine and thought I must have a problem. Then I saw some others and they have the same thing going on. There must be a lot of stress on those bearings with those hard turns....

My car...

Tire angle

Another car....

More tire angle

More...
Another tire

One more
Dr Evil
Pictures = >>>> 1000 words wink.gif
Mblizzard
OK so I am in for the wheel bearing. Never replaced a rear. Don't the arms have to be removed and the bearings pressed in and out?
Dr Evil
Search is your friend. There are lots of home-made tools to do this that are not expensive. You do not have to remove the arms, but the stub axles can be a fun time.
Mblizzard
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 15 2013, 01:10 PM) *

Search is your friend. There are lots of home-made tools to do this that are not expensive. You do not have to remove the arms, but the stub axles can be a fun time.

Was just doing that good Dr.! Because I was going to change the rubber bushings at some point also, I think I will go for the removal option. More research is pending of course.

Thanks for your help. Still looking for your south-east tranny clinic. No reall issues in mine I think but I may want to tweak it a bit at some point.
Eddie914
BTDT

Turned out to be a spun wheel hub. When the axle and the trailing arm were removed, the hub fell out of the bearing.

The axle nuts are now get checked on an annual basis.
Dr Evil
Changing to upgraded bushings is nice smile.gif

I plan to contact Series9 in the near future about doing a clinic there. Still working on the papers to make my company legal before I go making any real extra money on the side.
Mblizzard
I could make a trip to hang with Joe. Sign me up!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.