Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Changing fuel line (leaks)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
boxsterfan
So, some previous owner of my 1974 2.0L had changed one of the fuel lines coming from the firewall to where it goes up through the engine bay/tray. They changed one of the lines to modern 8mm rubber fuel hose.

However, they left one of those lines as the old "cloth" (?) wrapped fuel lines. headbang.gif Well, this morning I smelled gas inthe garage and saw that the old "cloth" line was dripping gas. I couldn't tell if it was leaking at the connection goign up through the engine bay or if just the whole line was "soaked".

1. I put a bucket under where I saw the drips coming from and told the wife to stay away from the car today until I get home.

2. What's the easiest way to get access to this area to change those fuel lines? Remove right rear tire and remove the heater box connection?\

TIA....
boxsterfan
QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Oct 14 2013, 01:12 PM) *

So, some previous owner of my 1974 2.0L had changed one of the fuel lines coming from the firewall to where it goes up through the engine bay/tray. They changed one of the lines to modern 8mm rubber fuel hose.

However, they left one of those lines as the old "cloth" (?) wrapped fuel lines. headbang.gif Well, this morning I smelled gas inthe garage and saw that the old "cloth" line was dripping gas. I couldn't tell if it was leaking at the connection goign up through the engine bay or if just the whole line was "soaked".

1. I put a bucket under where I saw the drips coming from and told the wife to stay away from the car today until I get home.

2. What's the easiest way to get access to this area to change those fuel lines? Remove right rear tire and remove the heater box connection?\

TIA....

I should note that at least the previous owner put in SS lines all the way through the tunnel and also has the SS lines (section) that goes through the engine bay/shelf. The leak is on the line from the firewall area to the connection to the SS lines that go through the engine bay/shelf.
JawjaPorsche
Glad you didn't have a fire. Pretty tight under there. Removing heater hose gives you some room. Sorta like building a ship in a bottle! Don't climb under car without jack stands. I use a 8 by 8 board under tire if you can get it that high. Disconnect battery so no spark can occur.
Spoke
The hoses should be accessible with the car jacked up.

If this happened to me, I would check to see if it is something simple like a loose clamp. If the hose needs replaced, drain the gas out of the tank and jack the car on the passenger side. This way any excess fuel in the tank will go away from the fuel nipples underneath. Then change the hoses.

Might want to do all this outside with a fire extinguisher or 2 at the ready. I don't like working with fuel in my attached garage.

I recall one of the police video shows where a guy worked on the gas tank of his car in a friend's garage and leaking fuel caught fire and burned the house down. The dude was really freaking out.

Be safe.
jimkelly
stainless in the tunnel is half the battle.

so your leaks are either in engine bay area, or under tank.

keep us posted with PICS

and be extra safe going under a car jacked up rediculously high.

jim
boxsterfan
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Oct 14 2013, 01:50 PM) *

stainless in the tunnel is half the battle.

so your leaks are either in engine bay area, or under tank.

keep us posted with PICS

and be extra safe going under a car jacked up rediculously high.

jim

Leak is definitely in the rear at that hose. I will check for loose clamps, but the one hose looks particularly old. Still don't know why someone wouldn't change both hoses if doing the job in the first place.
boxsterfan
QUOTE(Spoke @ Oct 14 2013, 01:39 PM) *

The hoses should be accessible with the car jacked up.

If this happened to me, I would check to see if it is something simple like a loose clamp. If the hose needs replaced, drain the gas out of the tank and jack the car on the passenger side. This way any excess fuel in the tank will go away from the fuel nipples underneath. Then change the hoses.

Might want to do all this outside with a fire extinguisher or 2 at the ready. I don't like working with fuel in my attached garage.

I recall one of the police video shows where a guy worked on the gas tank of his car in a friend's garage and leaking fuel caught fire and burned the house down. The dude was really freaking out.

Be safe.

My tank is 3/4 full (12 gallons?). I really don't have a way to drain that much fuel.

How much gas can I expect to come out of the car if I disconnect the hose back by the firewall? Any recommendations for procedure to minimize the gas coming out of the lines when I disconnect? Or am I screwed and do need to drain the tank?

Otherwise, yes, be safe. I have the jacks with the pins and a floor jack. In addition to disconnecting battery, I'll also make sure the engine is bone cold but I'll have to move the car in my cramped 2-car garage to get access to that side.
JawjaPorsche
They make fuel hose clamps so you don't have to drain your tank.
boxsterfan
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Oct 14 2013, 02:33 PM) *

They make fuel hose clamps so you don't have to drain your tank.

Thanks. I am more concerned though that when I do disconnect the fuel line from the SS line come out of the firewall that I am going to get a flow of gas until I either cap it some how or attach a new hose that is already clamped?

I just don't wanna burn down my 914 (and the house I suppose). smile.gif
r_towle
Under the tank are two rubber hoses that might be reachable (depends on how long they are in your car) from below via the 3 inch hole. Remove the large cover shield to see the hole.

Use a pair of clamps, or needle nose vice grips, and clamp those down.

You will still get a cup or two of fuel out of the engine and the tunnel line, but it can be managed with a coffee can.
It wont be 12 gallons.

rich
JawjaPorsche
Going under the fuel tank is too much trouble. No room under there to use vise grip.

Plug the hoses coming out of the firewall. Work fast!

You can use dowel plug to cap stainless line until you are ready to place new hose on it. I used scrap piece of hose to make plug. See picture. Work fast!

Attach new hose to top connection before connecting lower. Wear some eye protection because gas in the eyes is no fun! mad.gif

boxsterfan
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Oct 14 2013, 02:42 PM) *

Going under the fuel tank is too much trouble. No room under there to use vise grip.

Plug the hoses coming out of the firewall. Work fast!

You can use dowel plug to cap stainless line until you are ready to place new hose on it. I used scrap piece of hose to make plug. See picture. Work fast!

Attach new hose to top connection before connecting lower. Wear some eye protection because gas in the eyes is no fun! mad.gif

What size (diameter) is the dowel plug? Maybe I could just stick some chewing gum on there (halfway kidding)?
r_towle
5/16 or 3/8 maybe...
I use a bolt, cause they are always around.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.