Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: cut off date for emission equip
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rhodyguy
what is the production month and year? 1-75, 2-75. etc.

k
biosurfer1
There is no month, it's done by production year on the title...76> no smog, 1976 or newer=smog for life (as of right now)

edit: I shouldn't say "no smog", I think the law is technically you're supposed to be in compliance, but they do not require the smog check every 2 years.
Cap'n Krusty
There is NO "cutoff" date for emissions equipment, only for emissions testing, and that's MY 1976. However, if you're stopped in an earlier vehicle because of excessive smoke, either oil smoke or unburned fuel, or for some other violation that may cause the friendly local cop to open the engine lid, you can be required to have a full-on emissions test and to have all the emissions equipment present and functional. Someone here, or formerly here, ran into this a few years ago. Mark Britell and I helped him get the car through the referee process.

The Cap'n
ConeDodger
I would add to that that if you put a later engine in to an 'exempt' car you technically have to meet the requirements for the year, make, model of the engine you use. For instance, a MY 1975 with a MY 1988 3.2 Carrera motor must meet the smog test numbers for the 1988 Carrera. I doubt many people bother but that is the rule...
r_towle
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 14 2013, 05:17 PM) *

a MY 1975 with a MY 1988 3.2 Carrera motor must meet the smog test numbers for the 1988 Carrera. I doubt many people bother but that is the rule...

I wonder if you are going to bash your head against the wall and say
"I coulda had a 3.6"

Rich
dlkawashima
Three years ago when I was looking for my 914, I drove every model year from '70-'75 but I refused to even consider a '76, due to it still having to meet smog regulations in California. I suspect many, if not most, Californians feel the same way about the '76 model year.
boxsterfan
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Oct 14 2013, 04:20 PM) *

Three years ago when I was looking for my 914, I drove every model year from '70-'75 but I refused to even consider a '76, due to it still having to meet smog regulations in California. I suspect many, if not most, Californians feel the same way about the '76 model year.

agree.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(r_towle @ Oct 14 2013, 01:44 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 14 2013, 05:17 PM) *

a MY 1975 with a MY 1988 3.2 Carrera motor must meet the smog test numbers for the 1988 Carrera. I doubt many people bother but that is the rule...

I wonder if you are going to bash your head against the wall and say
"I coulda had a 3.6"

Rich

No. I'll be fine. In five years, 3.6's will be more available I suspect. I just had a hard time finding a 3.6 that hadn't been trashed and had an owner who thought it was worth its weight in gold...

I loved my 3.2 in my Carrera. I am dreaming about that 4K RPM kick in a car that is 600# lighter... driving.gif
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 14 2013, 02:17 PM) *
For instance, a MY 1975 with a MY 1988 3.2 Carrera motor must meet the smog test numbers for the 1988 Carrera.

You also have to have all of the emissions-related equipment from the 88 Carrera. The full exhaust (oops, that points the wrong way!), all of the engine management, and so on.

BTW, there are a few 1976 MY cars out there that are also testing-exempt. They were built in 75, and the owners were able to get exemption paperwork during a brief window a number of years ago. But there are only a couple of 914s like that I know of.

--DD
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Oct 14 2013, 07:01 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 14 2013, 02:17 PM) *
For instance, a MY 1975 with a MY 1988 3.2 Carrera motor must meet the smog test numbers for the 1988 Carrera.

You also have to have all of the emissions-related equipment from the 88 Carrera. The full exhaust (oops, that points the wrong way!), all of the engine management, and so on.

BTW, there are a few 1976 MY cars out there that are also testing-exempt. They were built in 75, and the owners were able to get exemption paperwork during a brief window a number of years ago. But there are only a couple of 914s like that I know of.

--DD

True Dave. I had heard that some sold up to April of 1976 had 1975 build dates and thus were exempt. I've never come across one though...

Those MY 1976 cars may become exempt someday so lets not withhold the love. wub.gif
gunny
All of the 1976 914's were complete by the end of December 1975. None were built in 1976.
biosurfer1
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 15 2013, 07:59 AM) *

I've never come across one though...

Yes you have, you just didn't know it shades.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Oct 15 2013, 07:17 AM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 15 2013, 07:59 AM) *

I've never come across one though...

Yes you have, you just didn't know it shades.gif

I have? Probably true... biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.