Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: considering 72 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rosenfe
i m new to forum,looking at 72 ,seller says no rust,transmission rebuilt,car serviced regularly at local indy,has records for 3 years ,garaged.he doesnt drive much,not sure of true mileage.my question is how slow is 1.7,and what does it cost to upgrade to larger engine?do you need it?
boxsterfan
popcorn[1].gif
r_towle
QUOTE(rosenfe @ Oct 14 2013, 05:21 PM) *

i m new to forum,looking at 72 ,seller says no rust,transmission rebuilt,car serviced regularly at local indy,has records for 3 years ,garaged.he doesnt drive much,not sure of true mileage.my question is how slow is 1.7,and what does it cost to upgrade to larger engine?do you need it?

Check the car out in person, or via lots of pictures.
See if he will remove the rocker covers and show you the longitudinals.

Rust and paint are the costly issues, everything is less money for restoration.

Motor, well a 1.7 can be loads of fun to drive.
Its not the weakest motor, the 1.8 is actually a bit less.

If you are buying the car with the expectations of it being super fast, budget at least 10k for an engine upgrade, depending upon what route you take.

Many motors fit and many upgrades exist
Big four rebuild
Porsche 6 transplant
Suby conversion
Chevy conversion

Etc etc

If you are seeking a conversion car in the long run, look at buying one that has all the hard work done already and needs to be finished or is all completed.

Rich
damesandhotrods
No rust is a dubious claim in regard to 914s. The best answer as far as a 1.7 is to drive it for yourself and decide. Barring rust, if you want more speed, it’s probably going to be cheaper in the long run to buy a faster car to begin with than to install fast after you bought it.
billh1963
QUOTE(damesandhotrods @ Oct 14 2013, 05:59 PM) *

No rust is a dubious claim in regard to 914s. The best answer as far as a 1.7 is to drive it for yourself and decide. Barring rust, if you want more speed, it’s probably going to be cheaper in the long run to buy a faster car to begin with than to install fast after you bought it.

Lots of wisdom in this statement.... beer.gif
JawjaPorsche
My 1.7 is plenty of power for me. These cars are not muscle cars. A 1.7 will bring a smile to your face! A 2.0 will bring a bigger smile!
jimkelly
we all know the HP numbers for type4 engine - 72-95 HP.

you need to get a ride in a 914 to see if it will satisfy you.

many that want substantial power, upgrade to a Porsche 6, from 2.0 to 3.6.

I am curious what 0-60 is for a 1.7, 1.8, and a 2.0.

http://www.p914.com/p914_acceleration.htm

jim

mittelmotor
But a 5.7 will bring a shit-eating grin! LS1 V-8 has 310 bhp box stock, no valves to adjust and looks like it was made for the car. Well, I did have to use the rear trunk for an airbox, but the thunder sticks still fit easily!

rosenfe
i have an 03 boxster s,so i have power.ill drive car soon.spoke to his mechanic ,they replaced all calipers ,disc,recently.mechanic did not see rust.ill check it out.sounds promising
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(rosenfe @ Oct 14 2013, 03:21 PM) *

Pics would up out a lot here.
Have you driven the car? or any 914? If not, you need to do that before even contemplating a purchase. Would you buy a daily driver without driving it?

I'm not being condescending, just rational. These cars are wonderful for those of us who've lived/loved them, but they aren't for everyone. Drive one. Drive a good one. You'll be hooked in 30 seconds. Just be very careful about what you buy, and bring back more info and pics to this site. We're here to help and keep the breed going.
Dave_Darling
Rust likes to hide. See my response on the Bird board.

Some experienced 914 owners will let you take a screwdriver to some of the more rot-prone places...

--DD
ben*james
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Oct 14 2013, 03:06 PM) *

QUOTE(damesandhotrods @ Oct 14 2013, 05:59 PM) *

Lots of wisdom in this statement.... beer.gif

welcome.png

Been there done that. Save up if you want hp, don't build it. Of course I can barely tie my shoes.
rosenfe
Car had rust not bad but enough to be an issue,also shifter was difficult.finding gear was not easy.seller did not seem prepared .,didn't bring repair records.not enjoyable to drive.ill keep looking.you are correct need to drive a few
euro911
Most shifting issues can be attributed to worn or missing shift rod bushings. A stock '72 has a tail shift transaxle with three rod bushings: one is located in a carrier plate under the shift lever, one at the firewall and one in a carrier at the rear of the transaxle.

The shift rod bushing under the shift lever takes the most work to investigate and change, the firewall and the rear bushings are a lot easier to check and replace.

There are also two round ball bushings in the system: one at the bottom of the shift lever and one on a stud at the firewall.

About $30. ~ $40. in parts, labor can vary ... pro mechanic $$$ ... DIY, priceless biggrin.gif
bandjoey
Rust hides on a 914. Find a local owner to help with a PPI and look at the pics in the restoration threads. If you don't know where to look you won't find it until later. Mechanics are cheap. Rust is normal expected and costly. Good luck and forget the HP. Driving is more fun than speed.
billh1963
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Oct 14 2013, 09:49 PM) *

Would you buy a daily driver without driving it?

I hate to admit this but I have not test driven any of the cars I have bought in the last 15 or so years. That would literally be about 40 or so cars.

I must be crazy..... screwy.gif
Razorbobsr
QUOTE(rosenfe @ Oct 14 2013, 05:21 PM) *

I may have most of what your looking for in my 914. Come take it for a drive! Bob
worn
QUOTE(rosenfe @ Oct 14 2013, 01:21 PM) *

I bought a *rust-free southern 1972*. After 2 years and over $1,000 in metal, I am almost rust free. The seller had excuses for not showing the whole car, and I fell for them and his hard luck story. Not wise. Check it carefully, they are sometimes just as described. That is how I would sell.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.