Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Diesel Conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914icon
Does anyone have any information on a 914 diesel engine conversion? Do they work? Anyone done one recently? Thoughts?
skeates
Not sure if it's actually been done yet, but I know that it's been discussed. What are your objectives going diesel? I know that the newer diesel engines have made some significant leaps and bounds regarding both emissions and horsepower, but it seems to me that to produce similar power figures as you get with gasoline you'd end up with a heavier motor. confused24.gif

That said, I've always thought that a small diesel engine coupled with a similarly small battery bank and an electric motor (e.g. hybrid) would be a slick conversion - Though I'm just biding my time until fuel cell technology develops to a point where it becomes a realistic alternative to batteries. Nothing beats the power density of a liquid fuel!
messix
I've heard non usa market suby has a diesel boxer engine
Mike Bellis
A 1999-2001 VW Passat TDI is doable. I know the drivetrain fits anyway.
Chris H.
Don't know of a completed one but smallcar.com is doing diesel Subie 2.0 Vanagons. If I'm reading it right you can buy a new engine for ~$6k. Bolt that motor to a 5MT and you're good.

Check it:

Vandiesel
DBCooper

From the Smallcar website they'll do a Subaru diesel conversion into a vanagon for $13K, PLUS that engine, which is another $6K. Oh my!!

Gearhead1432
I know there was a diesel conversion in Boise a few years ago. The guy used a VW turbo diesel. What year I cant recall. The 914 was painted dark green, had backdated bumbers, and old style Fuchs wheels.
JRust
QUOTE(Gearhead1432 @ Oct 15 2013, 09:44 AM) *

I know there was a diesel conversion in Boise a few years ago. The guy used a VW turbo diesel. What year I cant recall. The 914 was painted dark green, had backdated bumbers, and old style Fuchs wheels.

I remember that car. It was an earlier diesel from what I remember. I don't think it was a turbo? Haven't seen it in years confused24.gif
914icon
Thanks for the help. Looking for a high mpg torquey ride, but if its drastically for than a v6 or 8 conversion, then no way.
914icon
The van diesel seems like a good idea, but 12k, no way. It can't be that hard to put in.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.