Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1974 Chalon For Sale!!!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
skline
I am really ready to give up. Its one damn thing after another. I swear this car is possessed. While Aaron was here the other night we replaced the passenger rear caliper with another one. It leaks out the outter adjustment screw. Then I figured I would try it anyway. So I go ahead and bleed out the brakes with the nice new front calipers installed and I get it all done and put the wheels on. First, I couldnt get it into reverse. So I figure we could just push it out into the driveway and I will mess with it out there. The car wont budge at all. So I jack it up and adjust the clutch thinking that is why I cant get it in reverse. I check the back wheels and they both spin. I lift the front, and they dont budge. I pull the wheel off and the rotors turns. The wheels rest on the calipers. So much so that it put a deep dimple in the wheel where it was sitting. So I either need to go with 16" wheels or dump the calipers and go with the M calipers I have sitting here that need to be rebuilt. In anycase, the car isnt going anywhere and I am ready to give up. I am so F*#$% pissed right now I cant see straight. mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif
Andyrew
Oh boy, the home stretch is always the hardest....

I feel your pain...

I think the M calipers will do fine for the time being... You should be runnin 16inchers anyways.

Andrew

smash.gif
SLITS
How much and where would you have to grind off the caliper casting to get sufficient clearance for your 15" wheels?

Where do they hit the wheel. Would spacers solve the problem?

Talk to us - there is a solution!

smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif
skline
At this point, I dont even want to touch it. I will take a picture of the wheel and you will see. I tried grinding the front edge where it hits but it still hits. Even if I got it to go on without hitting, I could never balance the wheel cause it will peel off the weights the first time it spins. There must be a difference between the 911 and the 914 brake geometry cause Bernie runs these same calipers on his car and his are only 15".
JB 914
QUOTE(skline @ Dec 19 2004, 03:33 PM)
At this point, I dont even want to touch it. I will take a picture of the wheel and you will see. I tried grinding the front edge where it hits but it still hits. Even if I got it to go on without hitting, I could never balance the wheel cause it will peel off the weights the first time it spins. There must be a difference between the 911 and the 914 brake geometry cause Bernie runs these same calipers on his car and his are only 15".

Scott,

When you calm down biggrin.gif why don't you bolt one of the M calipers up and see if it will spin? Can't hurt.

i'm not as concerned about the brakes as i am the shifting.
SLITS
It's got to be hitting on the hat portion of the caliper and you can remove a lot of metal. Secondly, the mounting ear holes could be elongated a bit. Thirdly, stick on weights could be placed out of the path of the caliper.

I assume both calipers are hitting - remember, you hve two different struts.
Sparky
Hey relax, take a deep breathe and remember, stopping is over rated.

smile.gif

Mike D.
Aaron Cox
scott....that sucks.

just throw the m calipers on there for now...
a guy on pelican is selling 2 x 3/5" boge struts, youre front end will fall right onto those....just throw some a calipers on there then.

my volvo 240 had 15" wheels on it...so you have the caliper too far out off the rotor. is it hitting the hat or the wheel?
redshift
I feel your plane.

Take a week... get the hell away from it... enjoy life..

All of a sudden, you'll itch to finish, and it'll all be because you really FEEL LIKE IT, not because you feel like you have to.

It's a trap! You are near the end of hell.

M
rick 918-S
Did you try a spacer behind the wheel? Wheels hav a taper as they move to the outside edge. This may be the clearance you need.

Oh and not to be a smart ass... thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Jeroen
what calipers and wheels do you have?
neo914-6
Scott,
You can follow the Felix method of letting it sit for 20 years until more capable people are born and grow up to show a person with diminishing intelligence how it's done... laugh.gif You got to expect these things when trying new things...
Remember, you said this is therapy for you.
Felix
spare time toys
DO IT FOR BRITNEY MAN. Sorry ya knew some one had to say it. laugh.gif
SpecialK
QUOTE (redshift @ Dec 19 2004, 04:10 PM)
I feel your plane.

Take a week... get the hell away from it... enjoy life..

All of a sudden, you'll itch to finish, and it'll all be because you really FEEL LIKE IT, not because you feel like you have to.

It's a trap! You are near the end of hell.

M

Very wise advice young goat-hopper. IPB Image

I got to the point on my rebuild where I don't even want to open the garage door......well, mainly because it's friggin' freezing cold out there!
Dr Evil
Scott,
I just got my BA in Psychology last week so if you need some unlicenced therapy I am just a phone call away IPB Image I agree with Miles advice. I never expect to actually drive my car, and when I eventually do I will be anticipating the next terminal fix. You are ruining my joke/pole. It is only funny when it isnt true. Knock it off.
DBCooper
"1974 Chalon For Sale!!!"

Really? How much? Is this a good time?
skline
Its not really for sale, I was pissed off and frustrated. I have too much money and time into this car. I will either die in it, or under it one of these days. Either way, it will be the death of me.
jim912928
I hate brakes...I think I can bleed those suckers in the dark now. I finally just rebuilt all 4 stock calipers on mine...got speed bleeders and I'm golden!.....but I still hate brakes! You'll get them!
Joe Bob
I have a set of late offset 964 wheels with tires....225/45 and 245/45 16.....they are powder coated guards red but can be rattle canned any other color very easily. If these will help let me know. You would need 1 inch spacers up front and 2 inch in the rear to get the same offset as 16x7 and 8 Fuchs.....they were the ones that were originally on Frankenstealth....
bernbomb914
I had to use the belt sander on the volvo caliper to clear the wheels that I had on before but it was easy on the belt sander. didnt have to remove much.

Bernie
Joe Bob
Here's a pic of the wheels while still on Frank.....paint the car fly yellow, keep the wheels red..... IPB Image
skline
Wow Mike, that is one really fugly car. It doesnt look like that anymore does it? The Chalon was desinged to run 8's in front and 9 or 10's in the rear. I am not sure what I would need to run those, we would have to hold them up there and see.
Joe Bob
Gee thanks..... IPB Image The engine was out and the suspension was lifted to redo the brakes...

The fronts are 7.5 and the rears are 9.5. I ran 1 and 2 inch spacers on it. It now has NO spacers and 7 and 8 inch Fuchs with the same size tires.

964 wheels have the newer offsett that resembles FWD wheels. I also ran them on the SC with the same sized spacers...but they were black back then.
type47fan
Scott,

I suppose it doesn't help to tell you to consider getting back to the basics of the project IPB Image . If your goal is to be able to drive it, do ONLY those things that will make it happen IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image . Having too many variables to deal with in a conversion usually gets one to the place you're in now IPB Image IPB Image . Step back, take a deep breath, and apply those project management skills you have to get it on the road IPB Image . Everything else will follow. This stuff is supposed to be fun IPB Image ! Besides, you've got the potential support of almost 3000 members on this board IPB Image . It will happen. . . .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.