Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A Welder Wanted!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kkid
Hello guys!

My poor clutch tube is broken and is temporarily attached to the center tunnel now so I can take my kid to school. Now that I am buying a rebuilt engine. So here is my last chance to fix it correctly. The 3 points, the front, aft and at the fire wall, they are all broken. I will empty the gas tank and change the original fuel lines to stainless while we are at it. So the welding job will be safer.

Can someone come to my garage to welder.gif this poor tube?

Let me know.... pray.gif welder.gif

Thanks,

kkid smile.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Maybe offer beer and bbq? Or a little cash for gas?
worn
QUOTE(kkid @ Oct 14 2013, 11:04 PM) *

Hello guys!

My poor clutch tube is broken and is temporarily attached to the center tunnel now so I can take my kid to school. Now that I am buying a rebuilt engine. So here is my last chance to fix it correctly. The 3 points, the front, aft and at the fire wall, they are all broken. I will empty the gas tank and change the original fuel lines to stainless while we are at it. So the welding job will be safer.

Can someone come to my garage to welder.gif this poor tube?

Let me know.... pray.gif welder.gif

Thanks,

kkid smile.gif

Yep, someone bodged mine, brazing an extension at the firewall and leaving the rest free to wriggle. Cutting open flaps was very helpful. Also be careful about the welder closing up the tube - you have to get the steel hot enough to melt in order to weld it. I suspect this is why the factory used braze. I doubt that the brazing fails, mine were all failures of the steel supports.

MIG welders are fun to have you know... welder.gif
JamesM
I hate to even ask but, has anyone ever tried to JB weld (or other such epoxy) a clutch tube? Obviously not the best way but might be a solution for those without a welder.
kkid
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Oct 15 2013, 07:34 AM) *

Maybe offer beer and bbq? Or a little cash for gas?

Yeah, we're ready for that off course! beerchug.gif
McMark
QUOTE(JamesM @ Oct 15 2013, 09:38 AM) *

I hate to even ask but, has anyone ever tried to JB weld (or other such epoxy) a clutch tube? Obviously not the best way but might be a solution for those without a welder.

Definitely not a solution. JBWeld works okay for things that aren't moving. You're talking about trying to stop 50+ pounds of force with a bit of glue.
ndfrigi
Just to chime in on this thread also. Can also someone help me finish mine, I already (with my neighbors help) prep everything and just need to weld it.

Please see attached picture. I also tried to ask some suggestions if I buy a Farmhand mig welder 125 on a separate thread.

Thank you KKid for starting this thread!

God Bless!

Noel
Cypress, CA

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
kkid
When I got my car it came without a pedal stop on the floor board. I think the PO wanted more pedal travel to make the clutch work with the already coming loose tube. It broke completely in 2 weeks after my purchase of the car. As you would guess as usual, it happened on the road. Luckily I was able to drive with the 1st gear since my house was 3 blocks away.

So who can help weld my poor thingy?

Thanks in advance,

kkid smile.gif
kkid
QUOTE(McMark @ Oct 15 2013, 10:12 AM) *

QUOTE(JamesM @ Oct 15 2013, 09:38 AM) *

Definitely not a solution. JBWeld works okay for things that aren't moving. You're talking about trying to stop 50+ pounds of force with a bit of glue.

I was happy for 1.5 days for L bracket once. smile.gif
Rand
Also be careful about the welder closing up the tube - you have to get the steel hot enough to melt in order to weld it.

A possible trick for this might be to get some copper tubing of a diameter to fit the inside of the clutch tube.

Question for the group.... With the cable in, can you easily get the housing/sheath away from the tube enough to expose the cable? (Even if you have to disconnect an end of the cable to get slack.) If so, then cutting a slot along the length of the copper tube would let you get it over the cable and into the clutch tube. Then you could weld it without fear of burning through the tube.
worn
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Oct 15 2013, 09:20 AM) *

Just to chime in on this thread also. Can also someone help me finish mine, I already (with my neighbors help) prep everything and just need to weld it.

Please see attached picture. I also tried to ask some suggestions if I buy a Farmhand mig welder 125 on a separate thread.

With the way things look it would be wise to check the other two attachments in the tunnel.

Beyond that before you or someone else tries to weld, make everything shiny metal that will be within at least a half inch of the weld. You do that or learn the hard way. When the welder torch, TIG, or MIG hits rust it sets it on fire, making a blazing little explosion where you wanted a puddle of melted steel. That burning iron oxide blinds you even with the dark lens and burns holes in the surrounding metal. Also, while it is gassing off it isn't especially interested in forming a bond to anything. Just a disaster. huh.gif

But, when you start with clean metal you think you are some sort of genius the first time out. shades.gif smilie_pokal.gif

Best wishes. You may want to check out Restoration Designs if you haven't already. They have some nice weld in panels. I have a lot of them. welder.gif
worn
QUOTE(Rand @ Oct 15 2013, 10:36 AM) *

Also be careful about the welder closing up the tube - you have to get the steel hot enough to melt in order to weld it.

A possible trick for this might be to get some copper tubing of a diameter to fit the inside of the clutch tube.

Question for the group.... With the cable in, can you easily get the housing/sheath away from the tube enough to expose the cable? (Even if you have to disconnect an end of the cable to get slack.) If so, then cutting a slot along the length of the copper tube would let you get it over the cable and into the clutch tube. Then you could weld it without fear of burning through the tube.

I did this with a copper slug filed to fit and stuck onto a flexible coat hanger or something. Seems I got a bit excited with the saw and slitted the heater tube and one other. It does work but it isn't easy maneuvering. My fear was losing the chunk of copper in the tube.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.