Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: POR-15 & HI-TEMP APPLICATION
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
d7n7master
Hi All,
Just a quick question - has anybody por-15'ed their heat exchangers? If so, how long did it last?? cool_shades.gif blink.gif
Mueller
I'd check with the manufacture to make sure no hazardous outgassing can occur when subject to high heat.....hate to fry some brain cells (well, at least on accident wacko.gif )
scotty914
why not buy por's manifold paint
Mueller
QUOTE(scott thacher @ Dec 19 2004, 05:31 PM)
why not buy por's manifold paint

i'd still check, exhaust manifolds are not used as a source of cabin heat except for air-cooled engines
JB 914
They have a POR-20 which can take 1400 degrees and is for Manifolds and high heat applications. a little can goes a long way!!
Mueller
I'm not trying to be paranoid here, but what happens when the paint gets heated to XXX degrees and you breath the vapors in an enclosed area such as the cabin of your car ?????

I think the oil that drips on the h/e's is bad enough...that cannot be good for IPB Image
StratPlayer
I painted my muffler with por20 grey, did it over a year ago, the paint stills looks as good as it did the day I painted it. Didn't touch the exchangers tho, I have SS exchangers. I have no problem with fumes or anything like that. Por 20 seems to be execellent high temp paint.
BGman
Painted my muffler only with regular POR gloss black.
It has started to peel in places.
Eric_Shea
I used POR-20 on...

Bursch Headers
Sport Exhaust
Regular 911 Exhaust and
911 Heat Exchangers

Don't know if it works though... Should be able to tell you in a week or so.
Type 4
Use Ospho for your HE's.
d7n7master
All righty then. Seems as though nobody has died - yet... from fumes or immaculate combustion after applying por-15.
I read the inst. for por-20 & part of the prep includes por-15, sooo - por-20 is silver, por-15 is black. I could do without silver h.e.'s. So, if you apply por-15 & then por-20 does that not suggest that por-15 can hang in hi-temp applications??
Then again, I have POR WHITECOTE that I haven't even used yet. IPB Image
---------
Has anybody else noticed that when por-15 drys - It is 'effin bullet proof???
Got a bit on my driveway, and my shoe, and my... - I'm in BIG trouble... IPB Image
anthony
I'm not trying to be paranoid here, but what happens when the paint gets heated to XXX degrees and you breath the vapors in an enclosed area such as the cabin of your car ?????

I'd think that you'd only want to apply Por20 or whatever only to the outside of the HE's right?

Why not just find a set of stainless HEs?
JB 914
you don't need to apply POR-15 first before the POR-20

just clean the surface really good. they have a POR-MarineClean that is good and no fumes. Then you can paint it with the POR-20.

I have used the aluminum colored POR-20 and it is great stuff. brushed it on and no brush marks
Eric_Shea
POR-15 and POR-20 are not the same animal. POR-20 is not silver. It's Manifold Grey and I believe it comes in other colors. POR-20 is their high heat application paint for heat up to 1400 deg. F. POR-15 is not which is why you have the other list member stating that it is starting to flake off.

We sprayed the POR-20 on w/o a thinner. With the Bursch headers I didn't even install them before I stripped them and painted them with POR-20. There is no way that Bursch paint would have survived 1 minute under normal engine operating conditions.
d7n7master
Unfortunately POR20 only comes in manifold gray.
I want the he's & muffler to be black.

Their website says "Black Velvet™ is the only black paint capable of withstanding extreme temperatures up to 1200° F."
http://www.prp-porstore.com/merchant.mvc?S...ory_Code=HiTemp

I tried to find what temp por15 was capable of handling on their website but found none listed.

I'm gonna try the Black Velvet.
Thanks all, Gary
IPB Image
Type 4
This is the only true Hi Temp paint is this. I have used with great results.

http://www.hirschauto.com/acb/showdetl.cfm...t_ID=11&CATID=1
StratPlayer
I just ordered a couple cans of the alumn. paint yesterday, supposed to be a great product. Hirsch auto.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.