Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I prefer a smooth top....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tadink
hey all -

I've seen some painted targa tops that are smooth - how does one go about doing that? I looked at mine and it appears that the texture is part of the gelcoat or whatever the finish is on the targa top....

any 'how to' threads out there on this?

td
914itis
It's fiber glass, you can just sand it down.
NORD
Agree just sand it down smooth. Then just repaint chosen color.
tadink
Thanks guys - that's what I was looking for!! Just was not sure if there was a finish to it or not other that what it seems....cheers!

td
reharvey
I've smoothed out and painted four of my tops. Block sand it so that it comes out even.
jimkelly
wow - I would have thought and thought that I have read to be careful when sanding as to not go too deep. I also would have assumed most put a thin payer of bondo on top to get the best finish. informative thread. thanks.
7TPorsh
I tried this and starting hitting the fibers. Ended up using truck bed coating. A little texture; hard as nails. Scratch myself. But if you want smooth I would think you need skim bondo and good prep...or paint will seep through.
JmuRiz
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Oct 15 2013, 12:49 PM) *

wow - I would have thought and thought that I have read to be careful when sanding as to not go too deep. I also would have assumed most put a thin payer of bondo on top to get the best finish. informative thread. thanks.

If you want one Jim, I have one I'll probably sell.
jim_hoyland
I used steel wool to get the coating off, then block sanded, and filler as needed.
McMark
Let me check the pile of tops at my dad's place. I seem to remember having one that was sanded.

Oh, and did you ever get a spare tire? If not, I have one.
zambezi
I will be using two tops so I can have the choice to change looks. I did a combo by first sanding the bare top part way to knock down the bumps relatively smooth but not to break through the gelcoat and expose the fibers. Then I applied a couple good coats of high build primer. It will then sand down completely smooth.
Jim
Eric_Shea
Interesting thread title. I thought Dr. Evil mighta forgotten he wasn't on Craigslist for a second there... blink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.